    Does anyone know of a way to get the 1.4.1 Windows JVM to behave like
    the 1.3.1 jvm?

    Thanks
    Joel Lindsey, Sep 22, 2003

  2. In article <>,
    (Joel Lindsey) wrote:

    >:We have noticed a small behavior change in 1.4.1 vs. 1.3.1. We have a
    >:java manager process that launches and watches child java processes.
    >:It uses System.Runtime.exec() to launch the child processes. With the
    >:1.3.1 JVM, if you kill the manager process (with task manager or a
    >:ctrl-C) it takes the child processes down with it (this is what we
    >:want). With the 1.4.1 JVM, if you kill the manager the child
    >:processes hang around.
    >:
    >:Does anyone know of a way to get the 1.4.1 Windows JVM to behave like
    >:the 1.3.1 jvm?
    >:
    >:Thanks

    If the 1.3.1 JVM behaved this way, then it's an error. Using the exec()
    method spawns a completely separate process, not one that's within the
    same JVM (assuming the command executed is indeed Java) as that exec()
    statement. So unless the OS and/or processes involved need to kill
    spawn child processes when the parent dies, it's got no bearing on the
    JVM at all.

    = Steve =
    --
    Steve W. Jackson