killing processes on win xp

Discussion in 'Python' started by Andrei, Feb 11, 2004.

  1. Andrei

    Andrei Guest

    Hi,

    I'm using:

    import win32pdh
    junk, instances = win32pdh.EnumObjectItem(None,None,"Process",win32pdh.PERF_DETAIL_WIZARD)
    print instances

    to get a list of the running process on my PC. Then I try to kill a process using the function I found python\lib\site-packages\win32\scripts\killprocName:

    import win32api, win32pdhutil, win32con, sys

    def killProcName(procname):
    # Change suggested by Dan Knierim, who found that this performed a
    # "refresh", allowing us to kill processes created since this was run
    # for the first time.
    try:
    win32pdhutil.GetPerformanceAttributes('Process','ID Process',procname)
    except:
    pass

    pids = win32pdhutil.FindPerformanceAttributesByName(procname)

    # If _my_ pid in there, remove it!
    try:
    pids.remove(win32api.GetCurrentProcessId())
    except ValueError:
    pass

    if len(pids)==0:
    result = "Can't find %s" % procname
    elif len(pids)>1:
    result = "Found too many %s's - pids=`%s`" % (procname,pids)
    else:
    handle = win32api.OpenProcess(win32con.PROCESS_TERMINATE, 0,pids[0])
    win32api.TerminateProcess(handle,0)
    win32api.CloseHandle(handle)
    result = ""

    return result

    The problem is that if there are many users logged on and I try to kill a process launched by other user, inactive in that moment I get this error:

    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "<pyshell#1>", line 1, in ?
    killProcName('notepad')
    File "C:\Python23\Lib\site-packages\win32\scripts\killProcName.py", line 38, in killProcName
    handle = win32api.OpenProcess(win32con.PROCESS_TERMINATE, 0,pids[0])
    error: (5, 'OpenProcess', 'Access is denied.')

    Is there a way to kill a process on win xp indifferently which user started that process and without being active as that user?
    Thank you and sorry for the poor English

    Andrei, Feb 11, 2004

  2. "Andrei" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > error: (5, 'OpenProcess', 'Access is denied.')

    Do you have the "Administrator" privilege?

    Yen-Ting Chen, Feb 13, 2004