killing winword.exe process - ASP and Office 2003

James

Howdy.

I'm having difficulty getting winword.exe processes to die on our
development server when using
SET objWord = CreateObject("word.application") from an .ASP page.

This problem exists on our development server only as we are still
using Office 2000 components in production. No probs in production with
the current code which has been in use for a couple of years now.

I have to get these ASP pages working with word 2003 to avoid a rewrite
of a few applications.

I've tried using objWord.Quit and setting the object to "Nothing" but
it has no effect on the running process on the server.

Both development and prod servers are Win 2003 Server.

Any and all ideas are appreciated.

James.

James

I hate it when I find an answer a minute after posting :)

The code had been modified and the "false" clause was missing from
"objWord.quit".

So... objWord.quit False

fixed my issue.

James

Hi Bob.

Well as it turns out, I do have another issue. But, not one of those
mentioned in the MS support article.

I suspect its a caching issue of sorts. So I may as well blurt it out
here in the hope that someone else has come accross it.

The word documents I'm opening for a merge are a mixed bag of various
word versions going back to the Office 97 version of word.

The only way I can open these older files is to save them as Office
2003 word docs and then rename them. If I don't rename them, I just
can't open them and the winword.exe process just hangs leaving my app
with a blank screen.

I'm not expecting an answer but I'm bored with trying :)