killing winword.exe process - ASP and Office 2003

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by James, Jul 11, 2006.

  1. James

    James Guest

    Howdy.

    I'm having difficulty getting winword.exe processes to die on our
    development server when using
    SET objWord = CreateObject("word.application") from an .ASP page.

    This problem exists on our development server only as we are still
    using Office 2000 components in production. No probs in production with
    the current code which has been in use for a couple of years now.

    I have to get these ASP pages working with word 2003 to avoid a rewrite
    of a few applications.

    I've tried using objWord.Quit and setting the object to "Nothing" but
    it has no effect on the running process on the server.

    Both development and prod servers are Win 2003 Server.

    Any and all ideas are appreciated.

    James.

    James, Jul 11, 2006

  2. James

    James Guest

    I hate it when I find an answer a minute after posting :)

    The code had been modified and the "false" clause was missing from
    "objWord.quit".

    So... objWord.quit False

    fixed my issue.

    James, Jul 11, 2006

  3. You're probably going to have more issues:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;257757

    --
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    "NO SPAM"

    Bob Barrows [MVP], Jul 11, 2006
  4. James

    James Guest

    Hi Bob.

    Well as it turns out, I do have another issue. But, not one of those
    mentioned in the MS support article.

    I suspect its a caching issue of sorts. So I may as well blurt it out
    here in the hope that someone else has come accross it.

    The word documents I'm opening for a merge are a mixed bag of various
    word versions going back to the Office 97 version of word.

    The only way I can open these older files is to save them as Office
    2003 word docs and then rename them. If I don't rename them, I just
    can't open them and the winword.exe process just hangs leaving my app
    with a blank screen.

    I'm not expecting an answer but I'm bored with trying :)

    James, Jul 11, 2006