Knowing a COMObject by IID

Mauro Baraldi

Hello!

Someone can helpe-me how to get the name of a COMObject by it CLSID.

Example:
A object got a number CLSID ({CA8A9783-280D-11CF-A24D-444553540000}).
It name is Acrobat Control for ActiveX.

Or where can I found a good reference for this...

Thanks
Mauro

Peter Hansen

Mauro said:
Someone can helpe-me how to get the name of a COMObject by it CLSID.

Example:
A object got a number CLSID ({CA8A9783-280D-11CF-A24D-444553540000}).
It name is Acrobat Control for ActiveX.

Or where can I found a good reference for this...

The most direct method is to use "regedit" to search for it
in your registry. You can find it under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID
and the name will be under the default key for the entry.

But I suspect you wanted to do this programmatically...
and I don't know the API you would use.

-Peter

Thomas Heller

Peter Hansen said:
The most direct method is to use "regedit" to search for it
in your registry. You can find it under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID
and the name will be under the default key for the entry.

But I suspect you wanted to do this programmatically...
and I don't know the API you would use.
Help on built-in function QueryValue:

QueryValue(...)
string = QueryValue(key, sub_key) - retrieves the unnamed value for a key.

key is an already open key, or any one of the predefined HKEY_* constants.
sub_key is a string that holds the name of the subkey with which the value
is associated. If this parameter is None or empty, the function retrieves
the value set by the SetValue() method for the key identified by key.
Values in the registry have name, type, and data components. This method
retrieves the data for a key's first value that has a NULL name.
But the underlying API call doesn't return the type, Lame Lame Lame, DONT USE THIS!!!

Thomas