Knowing which browser is accessing

Irepan

I'm building a windows service to use with my installation project, this
installation will get some values from the webservice, is there a way in the
webservice to only let my program to use this webservice, i mean i don't want
IE or some other program to access this webservice but this program.

Brock Allen

You'll never know with 100% certainity because it's up to the client to send
a header identifying itself. Opera allows the user to change this to send
anything you want. It's typically done to fool the webserver into thinking
it's an IE client.

In any event, you can access this info via Request.Browser.

jberg

If you are using .Net 1.1 and you do NOT have the following in the
web.config for the web service, then you will only be able to get data
from it using Soap, not a browser Post or Get:

<protocols>
<add name="HttpPost"></add>
<add name="HttpGet"></add>
</protocols>

In 1.1 only "HTTPSoap" is turned on by default, not "HTTPPost" and
"HTTPGet". I am not sure, but 1.0 may turn these on by default.

John

William LaMartin

Have the webservice require a password and have the installation project
send this password with its request.