    PVCS for version control and I see Komodo integrates with that.

    All that to say "Do you use it and what do you think about it?".

    Robert

    Robert, May 4, 2004

  2. ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.lang.perl.misc.]
    On Tue, 04 May 2004 18:31:21 -0400, Robert wrote:
    > I am evaluating Komodo as an editor for work. I am doing a lot of Perl
    > work as a sysadmin and am starting to get into Perl/Tk as well. We use
    > PVCS for version control and I see Komodo integrates with that.
    >
    > All that to say "Do you use it and what do you think about it?".

    Dude, editors are tools. Some people like this tool, some people like that
    tool. It is personal and religious and is a matter of habit. My favorite
    editor is vi. There is nothing better, AFAIC. It is my primary tool
    for the past 12 years. I think emacs, M$word and all other editors out
    there are garbage... But hey, this is just me... you might think otherwise.
    You might have (or will) get used to some other editor. Try this Komodo
    thingy and see for yourself if you like it or not.....

    don't email me, May 5, 2004

  3. Robert

    Robin Guest

    "Robert" <> wrote in message
    > I am evaluating Komodo as an editor for work. I am doing a lot of Perl
    > work as a sysadmin and am starting to get into Perl/Tk as well. We use
    > PVCS for version control and I see Komodo integrates with that.
    >
    > All that to say "Do you use it and what do you think about it?".
    >
    > Robert

    I haven't tried Komodo, but I've read it's good. I like optiPerl, myself,
    even though you have to change a lot of settings to get it to work well. It
    might be the same way with komodo too, a lot of those dlls, etc are
    traded/sold from company to company, but if you want to try it, try it
    man...
    -Robin

    Robin, May 5, 2004
  4. Robert

    Robert Guest

    Robin wrote:

    > "Robert" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I am evaluating Komodo as an editor for work. I am doing a lot of Perl
    >>work as a sysadmin and am starting to get into Perl/Tk as well. We use
    >>PVCS for version control and I see Komodo integrates with that.
    >>
    >>All that to say "Do you use it and what do you think about it?".
    >>
    >>Robert

    > I haven't tried Komodo, but I've read it's good. I like optiPerl, myself,
    > even though you have to change a lot of settings to get it to work well. It
    > might be the same way with komodo too, a lot of those dlls, etc are
    > traded/sold from company to company, but if you want to try it, try it
    > man...
    > -Robin

    I tried OptiPerl and it seemed a little sluggish. This was about a year
    ago. What I looking at that most is the UI builder in Komodo.

    I will take a look at OP again though.

    Thanks,

    Robert

    Robert, May 5, 2004
  5. Robert <> wrote:

    > I am evaluating Komodo as an editor for work. I am doing a lot of
    > Perl work as a sysadmin and am starting to get into Perl/Tk as
    > well. We use PVCS for version control and I see Komodo integrates
    > with that.
    >
    > All that to say "Do you use it and what do you think about it?".

    I think comp.editors is a better place to ask this question.

    David K. Wall, May 5, 2004
  6. Robert

    Robin Guest

    "Robert" <> wrote in message
    > Robin wrote:
    >
    > > "Robert" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>I am evaluating Komodo as an editor for work. I am doing a lot of Perl
    > >>work as a sysadmin and am starting to get into Perl/Tk as well. We use
    > >>PVCS for version control and I see Komodo integrates with that.
    > >>
    > >>All that to say "Do you use it and what do you think about it?".
    > >>
    > >>Robert

    > > I haven't tried Komodo, but I've read it's good. I like optiPerl,

    myself,
    > > even though you have to change a lot of settings to get it to work well.

    It
    > > might be the same way with komodo too, a lot of those dlls, etc are
    > > traded/sold from company to company, but if you want to try it, try it
    > > man...
    > > -Robin

    > I tried OptiPerl and it seemed a little sluggish. This was about a year
    > ago. What I looking at that most is the UI builder in Komodo.

    yeah, Optiperl is a bit sluggish, I'll have to try komodo.
    -Robin

    Robin, May 5, 2004
  7. On Tue, 04 May 2004 23:05:23 GMT, don't email me <I'>
    wrote:

    >for the past 12 years. I think emacs, M$word and all other editors out
    >there are garbage... But hey, this is just me... you might think otherwise.

    Huh?!? I know that (i) you're clearly stating it's just you, and (ii)
    vi and emacs are the immortal contenders in the everlasting flame
    about the best (*NIX) editor, but said this, isn't it just a bit too
    extreme to put emacs side by side with a made-in-Redmond-wp in the
    garbage?

    I do not use emacs myself, but your claim sounds to me just like if
    one were a declared *bsd fan claiming that in his opinion Linux and M$
    Windoze are garbage...

    Michele
    - Xah Lee trolling on clpmisc,

    Michele Dondi, May 6, 2004
  8. Robert

    krakle Guest

    Robert <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > I am evaluating Komodo as an editor for work. I am doing a lot of Perl
    > work as a sysadmin and am starting to get into Perl/Tk as well. We use
    > PVCS for version control and I see Komodo integrates with that.
    >
    > All that to say "Do you use it and what do you think about it?".
    >
    > Robert

    Scite.

    krakle, May 25, 2004
  9. Robert <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > I am evaluating Komodo as an editor for work. I am doing a lot of Perl
    > work as a sysadmin and am starting to get into Perl/Tk as well. We use
    > PVCS for version control and I see Komodo integrates with that.
    >
    > All that to say "Do you use it and what do you think about it?".

    You should give eclipse a try. It's free, very powerful and has a nice
    Perl plugin, called epic (http://e-p-i-c.sourceforge.net/), with
    automatic completion, real-time error messages (while you type) etc.

    Download eclipse 2.1.2. Then install the perl plugin via the update
    manager, with http://e-p-i-c.sourceforge.net/updates (or Eclipse 3.0M8
    with the epic 3.0 patch).

    Andi

    PS: Eclipse does not support PVCS, but why not use CVS or subversion?

    Markus Dehmann, May 25, 2004