    distribution. Does anyone have the same problem with background syntax
    checking on 2.4 ? Thanks,

    George

    George Sakkis, Apr 26, 2005

  2. George Sakkis

    Trent Mick Guest

    [George Sakkis wrote]
    > I downloaded the latest Komodo (3.1) and configured it for python 2.4
    > so that it doesn't show decorators and genexps as syntax errors, but
    > background syntax checking doesn't seem to work at all for python 2.4.
    > Even for correct files, it shows a "Syntax checking error: Error
    > checking syntax: retval = 128, stderr=" alert. For python 2.3 it works
    > fine (modulo the new 2.4 syntax of course). Both 2.3 and 2.4 are built
    > from source on Cygwin, not ActiveState's binaries, so it might have to
    > do with this, but I'm unwilling to install yet another python
    > distribution. Does anyone have the same problem with background syntax
    > checking on 2.4 ? Thanks,

    George,

    My suspicion is that the difference is that you are using a Cygwin
    Python and it is using Un*x-style process return values. What do the
    following return for your Python.

    For me on Windows (with ActivePython 2.4):
    >>> import os
    >>> os.system("exit 0")

    0
    >>> os.system("exit 1")

    1

    And on Linux:
    >>> import os
    >>> os.system("exit 0")

    0
    >>> os.system("exit 1")

    256

    My cygwin Python is currently busted for some reason, so I can't test it
    on my system.

    On Unix-y/posix-y systems the retval from a process encodes both the
    exit status and information on how the process was stopped (c.f. the
    os.WIF* methods).

    It would be helpful if you could log a bug for this in Komodo's bugdb so
    we can track this and make sure it doesn't get lost:

    http://bugs.activestate.com/Komodo

    Cheers,
    Trent

    --
    Trent Mick

    Trent Mick, Apr 26, 2005

  3. "Trent Mick" wrote:

    > George,
    >
    > My suspicion is that the difference is that you are using a Cygwin
    > Python and it is using Un*x-style process return values. What do the
    > following return for your Python.
    >
    > For me on Windows (with ActivePython 2.4):

    > 0

    > 1
    >
    > And on Linux:

    > 0

    > 256

    Cygwin behaves exactly as Linux in this case.

    > My cygwin Python is currently busted for some reason, so I can't test

    it
    > on my system.
    >
    > On Unix-y/posix-y systems the retval from a process encodes both the
    > exit status and information on how the process was stopped (c.f. the
    > os.WIF* methods).
    >
    > It would be helpful if you could log a bug for this in Komodo's bugdb

    so
    > we can track this and make sure it doesn't get lost:
    >
    > http://bugs.activestate.com/Komodo

    No problem, I'll do that.

    > Cheers,
    > Trent