Komodo syntax checking for python2.4

George Sakkis

I downloaded the latest Komodo (3.1) and configured it for python 2.4
so that it doesn't show decorators and genexps as syntax errors, but
background syntax checking doesn't seem to work at all for python 2.4.
Even for correct files, it shows a "Syntax checking error: Error
checking syntax: retval = 128, stderr=" alert. For python 2.3 it works
fine (modulo the new 2.4 syntax of course). Both 2.3 and 2.4 are built
from source on Cygwin, not ActiveState's binaries, so it might have to
do with this, but I'm unwilling to install yet another python
distribution. Does anyone have the same problem with background syntax
checking on 2.4 ? Thanks,

George

Trent Mick

[George Sakkis wrote]
I downloaded the latest Komodo (3.1) and configured it for python 2.4
so that it doesn't show decorators and genexps as syntax errors, but
background syntax checking doesn't seem to work at all for python 2.4.
Even for correct files, it shows a "Syntax checking error: Error
checking syntax: retval = 128, stderr=" alert. For python 2.3 it works
fine (modulo the new 2.4 syntax of course). Both 2.3 and 2.4 are built
from source on Cygwin, not ActiveState's binaries, so it might have to
do with this, but I'm unwilling to install yet another python
distribution. Does anyone have the same problem with background syntax
checking on 2.4 ? Thanks,

George,

My suspicion is that the difference is that you are using a Cygwin
Python and it is using Un*x-style process return values. What do the
following return for your Python.

For me on Windows (with ActivePython 2.4): 1

And on Linux: 256

My cygwin Python is currently busted for some reason, so I can't test it
on my system.

On Unix-y/posix-y systems the retval from a process encodes both the
exit status and information on how the process was stopped (c.f. the
os.WIF* methods).

It would be helpful if you could log a bug for this in Komodo's bugdb so
we can track this and make sure it doesn't get lost:

http://bugs.activestate.com/Komodo

Cheers,
Trent

George Sakkis

Trent Mick said:
George,

My suspicion is that the difference is that you are using a Cygwin
Python and it is using Un*x-style process return values. What do the
following return for your Python.

For me on Windows (with ActivePython 2.4):
1

And on Linux:
256

Cygwin behaves exactly as Linux in this case.
My cygwin Python is currently busted for some reason, so I can't test it
on my system.

On Unix-y/posix-y systems the retval from a process encodes both the
exit status and information on how the process was stopped (c.f. the
os.WIF* methods).

It would be helpful if you could log a bug for this in Komodo's bugdb so
we can track this and make sure it doesn't get lost:

http://bugs.activestate.com/Komodo

No problem, I'll do that.
Cheers,
Trent