Komodo - Will it Lock Me In?

Matt Trivisonno

Hi Everybody,

If I were to use Komodo to write in Python, would it add a lot of goo to my
code such that I would not be able to switch to another IDE without having to
claw my way out of a tarpit first?

Any other thoughts on Komodo? I am considering it because I am hoping to find
a solution to the install-packages-until-you-go-blind aspect of Python.
Setting up a serious, cross-platform, gui development environment is quite a
struggle for a newbie.

Thanks,
Matt

Trent Mick

[[email protected] wrote]
Hi Everybody,

If I were to use Komodo to write in Python, would it add a lot of goo to my
code such that I would not be able to switch to another IDE without having to
claw my way out of a tarpit first?

Nope. Komodo adds no goo to your code (TM).
TM's my name, not a trademark on "Komodo adds no goo to your code" --
but I'm thinking about it. :)

Perhaps you are thinking of some of the C/C++ IDEs (like Visual Studio
on Windows and Xcode on the Mac) that will help you setup of projects
using their build systems that sometimes imply a number of standard
files. Komodo doesn't mandate a build system.
Any other thoughts on Komodo? I am considering it because I am hoping to find
a solution to the install-packages-until-you-go-blind aspect of Python.
Setting up a serious, cross-platform, gui development environment is quite a
struggle for a newbie.

Not sure about the "install-packages-until-you-go-blind" thing. Komodo
doesn't help you install packages into your Python implementation. Nor
does Komodo have front-ends to py2app or py2exe for wrapping up Python
code into standalone executables.

GUI development, however. Komodo's GUI Builder is intended to be a GUI
designer for simple Tkinter-based UIs. It does mandate a certain style
for your *GUI* code, but I believe that all GUI designers need to do
this.

Because I work on Komodo I am biased, so won't give you an opinion on it
relative to other tools out there.

Cheers,
Trent

Ravi Teja

Not sure about the "install-packages-until-you-go-blind" thing. Komodo
doesn't help you install packages into your Python implementation. Nor

I think he is confusing with Visual Package Manager.
Matt, in most cases, installing packages in Python is about as easy as
it gets. As a newbie, you should stick to binary packages at first. And
installing is simple as clicking through an installer or typing "python
setup.py install" in most cases.

Jarek Zgoda

Matt Trivisonno napisa³(a):
Any other thoughts on Komodo? I am considering it because I am hoping to find
a solution to the install-packages-until-you-go-blind aspect of Python.
Setting up a serious, cross-platform, gui development environment is quite a
struggle for a newbie.

Komodo is nice and plays well with programmer, although it's still an
editor with few additions, available elsewhere for free (i.e. in PyDev
or even in "advanced editors" like jEdit or Kate).

BartlebyScrivener

matt> Any other thoughts on Komodo?

If you code in any other languages (Perl, Ruby) or need to edit xml,
html, php etc, Komodo will handle all of these for you with appropriate
color coding, nested loops etc.

rd
www.dooling.com

Ilias Lazaridis

Matt said:
Hi Everybody,

If I were to use Komodo to write in Python, would it add a lot of goo to my
code such that I would not be able to switch to another IDE without having to
claw my way out of a tarpit first?

Any other thoughts on Komodo? I am considering it because I am hoping to find
a solution to the install-packages-until-you-go-blind aspect of Python.
Setting up a serious, cross-platform, gui development environment is quite a
struggle for a newbie.

I work myself currently with the Kommodo IDE (but have not done an
thorough evaluation of the market before choosing it).

The "lock-in" question would be solved, if Active State would go
open-source with Kommodo.

Even a partial open-source would solve this: If the project-management
subsystems would go open-source, other IDE's could adopt them, ensuring
a cohesive standard across the dynamic communities.

-

I have made a compact review of Active State, which will possibly give
you some relevant information:

http://lazaridis.com/samples/com/ActiveState/index.html

Note that some things have changed since the review, which could
simplify the process of going open source even more:

"Active State, a Division of Sophos" has become

"ActiveState Software Inc."

http://activestate.com/Corporate/Communications/Releases/Press1140209595.html

..