    struggle for a newbie.

    Thanks,
    Matt

    Matt Trivisonno, Feb 18, 2006

  2. Matt Trivisonno

    Trent Mick Guest

    [ wrote]
    > Hi Everybody,
    >
    > If I were to use Komodo to write in Python, would it add a lot of goo to my
    > code such that I would not be able to switch to another IDE without having to
    > claw my way out of a tarpit first?

    Nope. Komodo adds no goo to your code (TM).
    TM's my name, not a trademark on "Komodo adds no goo to your code" --
    but I'm thinking about it. :)

    Perhaps you are thinking of some of the C/C++ IDEs (like Visual Studio
    on Windows and Xcode on the Mac) that will help you setup of projects
    using their build systems that sometimes imply a number of standard
    files. Komodo doesn't mandate a build system.

    > Any other thoughts on Komodo? I am considering it because I am hoping to find
    > a solution to the install-packages-until-you-go-blind aspect of Python.
    > Setting up a serious, cross-platform, gui development environment is quite a
    > struggle for a newbie.

    Not sure about the "install-packages-until-you-go-blind" thing. Komodo
    doesn't help you install packages into your Python implementation. Nor
    does Komodo have front-ends to py2app or py2exe for wrapping up Python
    code into standalone executables.

    GUI development, however. Komodo's GUI Builder is intended to be a GUI
    designer for simple Tkinter-based UIs. It does mandate a certain style
    for your *GUI* code, but I believe that all GUI designers need to do
    this.

    Because I work on Komodo I am biased, so won't give you an opinion on it
    relative to other tools out there.

    Cheers,
    Trent

    --
    Trent Mick

    Trent Mick, Feb 18, 2006

  3. Matt Trivisonno

    Ravi Teja Guest

    > Not sure about the "install-packages-until-you-go-blind" thing. Komodo
    > doesn't help you install packages into your Python implementation. Nor

    I think he is confusing with Visual Package Manager.
    Matt, in most cases, installing packages in Python is about as easy as
    it gets. As a newbie, you should stick to binary packages at first. And
    installing is simple as clicking through an installer or typing "python
    setup.py install" in most cases.

    Ravi Teja, Feb 18, 2006
  4. Matt Trivisonno

    F. Petitjean Guest

    Le Fri, 17 Feb 2006 18:14:26 -0800, Trent Mick a écrit :

    > Nope. Komodo adds no goo to your code (TM).
    > TM's my name, not a trademark on "Komodo adds no goo to your code" --
    > but I'm thinking about it. :)

    +1 JOTW (Joke of the week)

    F. Petitjean, Feb 18, 2006
  5. Matt Trivisonno

    Jarek Zgoda Guest

    Matt Trivisonno napisa³(a):

    > Any other thoughts on Komodo? I am considering it because I am hoping to find
    > a solution to the install-packages-until-you-go-blind aspect of Python.
    > Setting up a serious, cross-platform, gui development environment is quite a
    > struggle for a newbie.

    Komodo is nice and plays well with programmer, although it's still an
    editor with few additions, available elsewhere for free (i.e. in PyDev
    or even in "advanced editors" like jEdit or Kate).

    --
    Jarek Zgoda
    http://jpa.berlios.de/

    Jarek Zgoda, Feb 19, 2006
  6. matt> Any other thoughts on Komodo?

    If you code in any other languages (Perl, Ruby) or need to edit xml,
    html, php etc, Komodo will handle all of these for you with appropriate
    color coding, nested loops etc.

    rd
    www.dooling.com

    BartlebyScrivener, Feb 20, 2006
  7. Matt Trivisonno wrote:
    > Hi Everybody,
    >
    > If I were to use Komodo to write in Python, would it add a lot of goo to my
    > code such that I would not be able to switch to another IDE without having to
    > claw my way out of a tarpit first?
    >
    > Any other thoughts on Komodo? I am considering it because I am hoping to find
    > a solution to the install-packages-until-you-go-blind aspect of Python.
    > Setting up a serious, cross-platform, gui development environment is quite a
    > struggle for a newbie.

    I work myself currently with the Kommodo IDE (but have not done an
    thorough evaluation of the market before choosing it).

    The "lock-in" question would be solved, if Active State would go
    open-source with Kommodo.

    Even a partial open-source would solve this: If the project-management
    subsystems would go open-source, other IDE's could adopt them, ensuring
    a cohesive standard across the dynamic communities.

    -

    I have made a compact review of Active State, which will possibly give
    you some relevant information:

    http://lazaridis.com/samples/com/ActiveState/index.html

    Note that some things have changed since the review, which could
    simplify the process of going open source even more:

    "Active State, a Division of Sophos" has become

    "ActiveState Software Inc."

    http://activestate.com/Corporate/Communications/Releases/Press1140209595.html

    ..

    --