Kompozer Vs SeaMonkey

Discussion in 'HTML' started by 1001 Webs, Dec 6, 2007.

  1. 1001 Webs

    1001 Webs Guest

    I'm trying to choose between Kompozer and SeaMonkey, both free, both
    WYSIWYG, both multiplatform.

    Kompozer:
    http://www.kompozer.net/
    Looks fine, with site manager and FTP included.
    The one thing I don't like about Kompozer is that reformats the source
    code when you open a file. It kind of soft-wraps the lines in a most
    weird manner.
    You can use the HandCoder plugin, but that's not the idea. Or maybe it
    is, not sure ...
    Another issue that worries me is that it hasn't been updated for over
    a year and the bug reports page is overcrowded:

    SeaMonkey:
    http://www.seamonkey-project.org/
    Looks good enough, frequently updated and lots of extensions-plugins.
    Has anyone done any real work with it?

    I did like Bluefish a lot although it isn't WYSIWYG ( What You See Is
    What You Need )
    http://bluefish.openoffice.nl/features.html
    But it only runs on Linux.

    1001 Webs, Dec 6, 2007

  2. 1001 Webs

    Chaddy2222 Guest

    On Dec 7, 10:54 am, 1001 Webs <> wrote:
    > I'm trying to choose between Kompozer and SeaMonkey, both free, both
    > WYSIWYG, both multiplatform.
    >
    > Kompozer:http://www.kompozer.net/
    > Looks fine, with site manager and FTP included.
    > The one thing I don't like about Kompozer is that reformats the source
    > code when you open a file. It kind of soft-wraps the lines in a most
    > weird manner.
    > You can use the HandCoder plugin, but that's not the idea. Or maybe it
    > is, not sure ...
    > Another issue that worries me is that it hasn't been updated for over
    > a year and the bug reports page is overcrowded:http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=170132&atid=853122
    >
    > SeaMonkey:http://www.seamonkey-project.org/
    > Looks good enough, frequently updated and lots of extensions-plugins.
    > Has anyone done any real work with it?

    <snip>
    I use KompoZer all the time. I use it with the HandCoder extention so
    I can edit PHP with Crimson Editor and it works well.
    You need the HC plug-in as otherwise the source gets kind of messed
    up. It's also better for editing PHP.

    Chaddy2222, Dec 7, 2007

  3. 1001 Webs skrev:
    > I'm trying to choose between Kompozer and SeaMonkey, both free, both
    > WYSIWYG, both multiplatform.
    >
    > Kompozer:
    > http://www.kompozer.net/
    > Looks fine, with site manager and FTP included.
    > The one thing I don't like about Kompozer is that reformats the source
    > code when you open a file. It kind of soft-wraps the lines in a most
    > weird manner.
    > You can use the HandCoder plugin, but that's not the idea. Or maybe it
    > is, not sure ...
    > Another issue that worries me is that it hasn't been updated for over
    > a year and the bug reports page is overcrowded:
    > http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=170132&atid=853122

    Wrong.
    Version 0.7.10 was released 2007-08-30. It's in development active.
    The reformat issue is a legacy from NVU and can not be fixed in this
    program at all. Use Tidy.

    Check the Forum: http://wysifauthoring.informe.com/

    Original author of NVU, Daniel Glazman, is working on "Composer", who
    will not the reformat issue.

    > SeaMonkey:
    > http://www.seamonkey-project.org/
    > Looks good enough, frequently updated and lots of extensions-plugins.
    > Has anyone done any real work with it?

    The Composer in SeaMonkey (and the Mozilla Suite before that) is the
    foundation for the later NVU, Kompozer, and "Composer".

    I don't think this module is the one that is being worked on the most...

    Petersen, Vegard Krog, Dec 7, 2007
  4. 1001 Webs wrote:

    > I did like Bluefish a lot although it isn't WYSIWYG ( What You See Is
    > What You Need )
    > http://bluefish.openoffice.nl/features.html
    > But only runs on Linux.

    Bluefish runs fine on Mac OS X. It'll also run on Windows if you have
    Cygwin installed. The Cygwin package for Bluefish is here:

    ftp://sunsite.dk/projects/cygwinports/release/GNOME/bluefish/

    It's the same version number as the latest stable release from the
    Bluefish website, so should be reasonably up-to-date. (I'm pretty sure
    that the current Cygwin X server is rootless now.)

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    [OS: Linux 2.6.17.14-mm-desktop-9mdvsmp, up 12 days, 18:21.]

    Sharing Music with Apple iTunes
    http://tobyinkster.co.uk/blog/2007/11/28/itunes-sharing/

    Toby A Inkster, Dec 7, 2007
  5. 1001 Webs

    Steve Sobol Guest

    ["Followup-To:" header set to alt.www.webmaster.]
    On 2007-12-07, Petersen, Vegard Krog <> wrote:

    > The Composer in SeaMonkey (and the Mozilla Suite before that) is the
    > foundation for the later NVU, Kompozer, and "Composer".
    >
    > I don't think this module is the one that is being worked on the most...

    Does anyone else have a cross-platform editor that they like then? I installed
    SeaMonkey and didn't see anything useful that I didn't already have with
    Kompozer. I don't like the reformatting, either.

    --
    Steve Sobol, Victorville, CA PGP:0xE3AE35ED www.SteveSobol.com
    Geek-for-hire. Details: http://www.linkedin.com/in/stevesobol

    Steve Sobol, Dec 7, 2007
  6. 1001 Webs

    1001 Webs Guest

    On Dec 6, 7:39 pm, "Charles" <> wrote:
    > 1001 Webswrote:
    > > I'm trying to choose between Kompozer and SeaMonkey...
    > > Kompozer:
    > > The one thing I don't like about Kompozer is that reformats the source
    > > code when you open a file.

    > I recently gave up on Kompozer and especially the CasCadeS CSS editor which
    > can really mess up your stylesheet. TopStyle Lite is far superior.
    >
    > > You can use the HandCoder plugin, but that's not the idea.

    > HandCoder was a disaster for me.
    >
    > > SeaMonkey:

    > I haven't tried SeaMonkey yet. Thanks for the link.

    I've just come to realize that SeaMonkey also reformats the code ...

    > How about Amaya or 1stPage 2000 (not 1stPage 2006!)?

    Amaya doesn't handle very well documents created beforehand.
    By that I mean that if you try to edit a table.based html file, it
    does some strange visualization quirks.
    I suppose it is ok if you build the file from the ground up in Amaya,
    and I know it'll be very educational to go that route, but I just
    don't get accustomed to the interface.
    1stPage 2000 was in my computer a long time ago and I recall I did
    like it and even used it for a couple of sites, but it only runs on
    Windows, doesn't it?

    1001 Webs, Dec 7, 2007
  7. 1001 Webs

    1001 Webs Guest

    On Dec 6, 11:31 pm, Chaddy2222 <spamlovermailbox-
    > wrote:
    > On Dec 7, 10:54 am,1001 Webs<> wrote:
    >
    > > I'm trying to choose between Kompozer and SeaMonkey, both free, both
    > > WYSIWYG, both multiplatform.

    > > Kompozer:http://www.kompozer.net/
    > > Looks fine, with site manager and FTP included.
    > > The one thing I don't like about Kompozer is that reformats the source
    > > code when you open a file. It kind of soft-wraps the lines in a most
    > > weird manner.
    > > You can use the HandCoder plugin, but that's not the idea. Or maybe it
    > > is, not sure ...
    > > Another issue that worries me is that it hasn't been updated for over
    > > a year and the bug reports page is overcrowded:http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=170132&atid=853122

    > > SeaMonkey:http://www.seamonkey-project.org/
    > > Looks good enough, frequently updated and lots of extensions-plugins.
    > > Has anyone done any real work with it?

    > <snip>
    > I use KompoZer all the time. I use it with the HandCoder extention so
    > I can edit PHP with Crimson Editor and it works well.
    > You need the HC plug-in as otherwise the source gets kind of messed
    > up. It's also better for editing PHP.

    Yep, I understand how it goes now.
    I use Notepad++ though. You should check it out.
    I specially like the ability to collapse everything in between tags.

    1001 Webs, Dec 7, 2007
  8. 1001 Webs

    1001 Webs Guest

    On Dec 7, 3:18 am, "Petersen, Vegard Krog"
    <> wrote:
    > 1001 Websskrev:
    >
    > > I'm trying to choose between Kompozer and SeaMonkey, both free, both
    > > WYSIWYG, both multiplatform.

    > > Kompozer:
    > >http://www.kompozer.net/
    > > Looks fine, with site manager and FTP included.
    > > The one thing I don't like about Kompozer is that reformats the source
    > > code when you open a file. It kind of soft-wraps the lines in a most
    > > weird manner.
    > > You can use the HandCoder plugin, but that's not the idea. Or maybe it
    > > is, not sure ...
    > > Another issue that worries me is that it hasn't been updated for over
    > > a year and the bug reports page is overcrowded:
    > >http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=170132&atid=853122

    > Wrong.
    > Version 0.7.10 was released 2007-08-30. It's in development active.
    > The reformat issue is a legacy from NVU and can not be fixed in this
    > program at all. Use Tidy.
    >
    > Check the Forum:http://wysifauthoring.informe.com/
    >
    > Original author of NVU, Daniel Glazman, is working on "Composer", who
    > will not the reformat issue.
    >
    > > SeaMonkey:
    > >http://www.seamonkey-project.org/
    > > Looks good enough, frequently updated and lots of extensions-plugins.
    > > Has anyone done any real work with it?

    > The Composer in SeaMonkey (and the Mozilla Suite before that) is the
    > foundation for the later NVU, Kompozer, and "Composer".

    What's the difference between Kompozer, and "Composer"?

    1001 Webs, Dec 7, 2007
  9. 1001 Webs

    1001 Webs Guest

    1001 Webs, Dec 7, 2007
  10. 1001 Webs

    Ed Mullen Guest

    1001 Webs wrote:
    > On Dec 7, 3:18 am, "Petersen, Vegard Krog"
    > <> wrote:
    >> 1001 Websskrev:
    >>
    >>> I'm trying to choose between Kompozer and SeaMonkey, both free, both
    >>> WYSIWYG, both multiplatform.
    >>> Kompozer:
    >>> http://www.kompozer.net/
    >>> Looks fine, with site manager and FTP included.
    >>> The one thing I don't like about Kompozer is that reformats the source
    >>> code when you open a file. It kind of soft-wraps the lines in a most
    >>> weird manner.
    >>> You can use the HandCoder plugin, but that's not the idea. Or maybe it
    >>> is, not sure ...
    >>> Another issue that worries me is that it hasn't been updated for over
    >>> a year and the bug reports page is overcrowded:
    >>> http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=170132&atid=853122

    >> Wrong.
    >> Version 0.7.10 was released 2007-08-30. It's in development active.
    >> The reformat issue is a legacy from NVU and can not be fixed in this
    >> program at all. Use Tidy.
    >>
    >> Check the Forum:http://wysifauthoring.informe.com/
    >>
    >> Original author of NVU, Daniel Glazman, is working on "Composer", who
    >> will not the reformat issue.
    >>
    >>> SeaMonkey:
    >>> http://www.seamonkey-project.org/
    >>> Looks good enough, frequently updated and lots of extensions-plugins.
    >>> Has anyone done any real work with it?

    >> The Composer in SeaMonkey (and the Mozilla Suite before that) is the
    >> foundation for the later NVU, Kompozer, and "Composer".

    > What's the difference between Kompozer, and "Composer"?

    Composer is a component of the the Netscape Suite, the Mozilla Suite,
    and the SeaMonkey Suite. That is the chronology of
    development/evolution. The only one actively in development is now
    SeaMonkey. However, I don't know how much, if any, dev work is being
    done on Composer.

    When Mozilla.Org dropped development of the Mozilla Suite, Daniel
    Glazman started a project to build a stand-alone Composer and called it
    Nvu. Apparently the Nvu project is now dead.

    Kompozer is built on the same underlying rendering engine as Composer
    and Nvu. The main difference is that Kompozer is in active development.

    Use Kompozer as it's the most advanced of the three.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Dec 7, 2007
  11. Ed Mullen wrote in <>:

    >Composer is a component of the the Netscape Suite, the Mozilla Suite,
    >and the SeaMonkey Suite. That is the chronology of
    >development/evolution. The only one actively in development is now
    >SeaMonkey. However, I don't know how much, if any, dev work is being
    >done on Composer.
    >
    >When Mozilla.Org dropped development of the Mozilla Suite, Daniel
    >Glazman started a project to build a stand-alone Composer and called it
    >Nvu. Apparently the Nvu project is now dead.
    >
    >Kompozer is built on the same underlying rendering engine as Composer
    >and Nvu. The main difference is that Kompozer is in active development.
    >
    >Use Kompozer as it's the most advanced of the three.

    How does http://www.pagebreeze.com/ compare to Kompozer and SeaMonkey,
    anyone here tried it and formed an opinion? Just curios.

    All the best,
    Bjorn S.

    Bjorn Simonsen, Dec 7, 2007
  12. 1001 Webs

    Bone Ur Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Fri, 07 Dec 2007 19:17:05
    GMT 1001 Webs scribed:

    >> I use KompoZer all the time. I use it with the HandCoder extention so
    >> I can edit PHP with Crimson Editor and it works well.
    >> You need the HC plug-in as otherwise the source gets kind of messed
    >> up. It's also better for editing PHP.

    > Yep, I understand how it goes now.
    > I use Notepad++ though. You should check it out.
    > I specially like the ability to collapse everything in between tags.

    Hmm, that does sound interesting; I will have to check it out.

    I now use Notetab Standard which has various functions but all I really
    utilize is the coloring of different sections. _Basically_ (note the
    disclaimer) I think that's all one really should need to make a Web page
    and progs like Dreamweaver and Frontpage are just overpriced crutches which
    help nobody in the long run.

    --
    Bone Ur
    Cavemen have formidable pheromones.

    Bone Ur, Dec 7, 2007
  13. 1001 Webs

    Bergamot Guest

    Bjorn Simonsen wrote:

    > How does http://www.pagebreeze.com/ compare to Kompozer

    Judging by the code on their home page, it's a product to be avoided.

    --
    Berg

    Bergamot, Dec 8, 2007
  14. Bergamot wrote in <>:

    >> How does http://www.pagebreeze.com/ compare to Kompozer

    >Judging by the code on their home page, it's a product to be avoided.

    Thanks, good to know. Passing the page url to http://validator.w3.org/
    it said,

    Result: Failed validation

    with the following explanation:

    1. No Character Encoding Found! Falling back to UTF-8.

    None of the standards sources gave any information on the
    character encoding labeling for this document. Without encoding
    information it is impossible to reliably validate the document.
    As a fallback solution, the "UTF-8" encoding was used to read the
    content and attempt to perform the validation, but this is likely
    to fail for all non-trivial documents.

    Read the FAQ entry on character encoding for more details and
    pointers on how to fix this problem with your document.

    1. Warning

    Sorry, I am unable to validate this document because on line 120
    it contained one or more bytes that I cannot interpret as utf-8
    (in other words, the bytes found are not valid values in the
    ' specified Character Encoding). Please check both the content of
    the file and the character encoding indication.
    The error was: utf8 "\xA9" does not map to Unicode

    (line 120 contains the copyright symbol AFAIK)

    All the best
    Bjorn S.

    Bjorn Simonsen, Dec 8, 2007
  15. 1001 Webs

    Bergamot Guest

    Bjorn Simonsen wrote:
    > Bergamot wrote in <>:
    >
    >>> How does http://www.pagebreeze.com/ compare to Kompozer

    >>Judging by the code on their home page, it's a product to be avoided.

    > Passing the page url to http://validator.w3.org/
    > it said,

    You don't even need to go that far. View source and look at the mess it
    makes.

    --
    Berg

    Bergamot, Dec 8, 2007
  16. 1001 Webs

    Calande Guest

    1001 Webs wrote:
    > I'm trying to choose between Kompozer and SeaMonkey, both free, both
    > WYSIWYG, both multiplatform.

    Hello, on this page you'll find some neat software to author web pages:
    http://alternative-software.dreamhosters.com/
    Cheers.

    Calande, Jan 2, 2008
  17. 1001 Webs