Konqueror and Padding

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Blinky the Shark, Sep 23, 2007.

  1. Test page: http://improve-usenet.html/filters_ex3test.html

    Please take a look in FF and Opera, where the padding beneath the code
    lines in the boxes looks as I wish it to; then look in Konqueror, which
    here seems to be ignoring it:

    http://blinkynet.net/stuff/comp/filters_ex3test_konq.jpg

    (It's okay in IE, too.)

    I'd *like* some breathing room between the last line and the bottom of
    the box (FF, Opera), but if the only way I can get both the top and
    bottom of the text to be the same relative to the box top and bottom is
    to reduce the space on the top, that might be Plan B.

    Of course, if I add padding for Konq, the other browsers display too
    much space down there.

    Ideas?


    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    The Usenet Improvement Project:
    http://improve-usenet.org <----------- New Site Aug 28
     
    Blinky the Shark, Sep 23, 2007
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Blinky the Shark

    John Hosking Guest

    John Hosking, Sep 23, 2007
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Blinky the Shark

    J.O. Aho Guest

    J.O. Aho, Sep 23, 2007
    #3
  4. On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 13:59:01 +0200, J.O. Aho wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> Test page: http://improve-usenet.html/filters_ex3test.html
    >>
    >> Please take a look in FF and Opera, where the padding beneath the code
    >> lines in the boxes looks as I wish it to; then look in Konqueror, which
    >> here seems to be ignoring it:
    >>
    >> http://blinkynet.net/stuff/comp/filters_ex3test_konq.jpg

    >
    > Can't reproduce this in KDE 3.5.7, for me it looks the same in SeaMonkey
    > and Konqueror, so it may be that the version of Konqueror you use is
    > quite old.


    Just might be an old konq problem. I'm running 3.3.2 and it appears
    there. It plays the way you want in IE6.0+wine

    Ugly suggestion: <br> &nbsp;

    Jonesy
    --
    Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
    38.24N 104.55W | @ config.com | Jonesy | OS/2
    *** Killfiling google posts: <http://jonz.net/ng.htm>
     
    Allodoxaphobia, Sep 23, 2007
    #4
  5. Blinky the Shark, Sep 23, 2007
    #5
  6. J.O. Aho wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> Test page: http://improve-usenet.html/filters_ex3test.html
    >>
    >> Please take a look in FF and Opera, where the padding beneath the code
    >> lines in the boxes looks as I wish it to; then look in Konqueror, which
    >> here seems to be ignoring it:
    >>
    >> http://blinkynet.net/stuff/comp/filters_ex3test_konq.jpg

    >
    > Can't reproduce this in KDE 3.5.7, for me it looks the same in SeaMonkey
    > and Konqueror, so it may be that the version of Konqueror you use is
    > quite old.


    I don't have SeaMonkey, so I don't know what you see. Can you provide an
    image?

    Konqueror here is 3.4.2.


    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    The Usenet Improvement Project moved to this site August 28th:
    http://improve-usenet.org
     
    Blinky the Shark, Sep 23, 2007
    #6
  7. Allodoxaphobia wrote:
    > On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 13:59:01 +0200, J.O. Aho wrote:
    >> Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >>> Test page: http://improve-usenet.html/filters_ex3test.html
    >>>
    >>> Please take a look in FF and Opera, where the padding beneath the code
    >>> lines in the boxes looks as I wish it to; then look in Konqueror, which
    >>> here seems to be ignoring it:
    >>>
    >>> http://blinkynet.net/stuff/comp/filters_ex3test_konq.jpg

    >>
    >> Can't reproduce this in KDE 3.5.7, for me it looks the same in SeaMonkey
    >> and Konqueror, so it may be that the version of Konqueror you use is
    >> quite old.

    >
    > Just might be an old konq problem. I'm running 3.3.2 and it appears
    > there. It plays the way you want in IE6.0+wine


    Thanks for the confirmation; as I noted in reply to Aho, i'm using
    3.4.2.

    > Ugly suggestion: <br> &nbsp;


    Why wouldn't that add an unwanted blank line to all the other browsers
    where this problem doesn't exist, thereby breaking the look for all of
    them?


    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    The Usenet Improvement Project moved to this site August 28th:
    http://improve-usenet.org
     
    Blinky the Shark, Sep 23, 2007
    #7
  8. Blinky the Shark

    J.O. Aho Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > J.O. Aho wrote:
    >> Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >>> Test page: http://improve-usenet.html/filters_ex3test.html
    >>>
    >>> Please take a look in FF and Opera, where the padding beneath the code
    >>> lines in the boxes looks as I wish it to; then look in Konqueror, which
    >>> here seems to be ignoring it:
    >>>
    >>> http://blinkynet.net/stuff/comp/filters_ex3test_konq.jpg

    >> Can't reproduce this in KDE 3.5.7, for me it looks the same in SeaMonkey
    >> and Konqueror, so it may be that the version of Konqueror you use is
    >> quite old.

    >
    > I don't have SeaMonkey, so I don't know what you see. Can you provide an
    > image?


    Go to www.mozilla.org and get it, if your distro don't supply it.
    Uses the Gecko engine as all the other browsers from mozilla.org.


    > Konqueror here is 3.4.2.


    If I don't remember it wrong, thats from march 2005, time to upgrade a bit?

    --

    //Aho
     
    J.O. Aho, Sep 23, 2007
    #8
  9. J.O. Aho wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> J.O. Aho wrote:
    >>> Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >>>> Test page: http://improve-usenet.html/filters_ex3test.html
    >>>>
    >>>> Please take a look in FF and Opera, where the padding beneath the code
    >>>> lines in the boxes looks as I wish it to; then look in Konqueror, which
    >>>> here seems to be ignoring it:
    >>>>
    >>>> http://blinkynet.net/stuff/comp/filters_ex3test_konq.jpg
    >>> Can't reproduce this in KDE 3.5.7, for me it looks the same in SeaMonkey
    >>> and Konqueror, so it may be that the version of Konqueror you use is
    >>> quite old.

    >>
    >> I don't have SeaMonkey, so I don't know what you see. Can you provide an
    >> image?

    >
    > Go to www.mozilla.org and get it, if your distro don't supply it.
    > Uses the Gecko engine as all the other browsers from mozilla.org.


    I guess a screen cap is a lot of work.

    >> Konqueror here is 3.4.2.

    >
    > If I don't remember it wrong, thats from march 2005, time to upgrade a bit?


    I doubt that the new one would work with my version of KDE. I change
    KDE versions when I reinstall Linux. I'm not about to do that for
    just another gecko-based browser. Thanks.


    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    The Usenet Improvement Project moved to this site August 28th:
    http://improve-usenet.org
     
    Blinky the Shark, Sep 23, 2007
    #9
  10. Blinky the Shark

    J.O. Aho Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > J.O. Aho wrote:
    >> Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >>> J.O. Aho wrote:
    >>>> Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >>>>> Test page: http://improve-usenet.html/filters_ex3test.html
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Please take a look in FF and Opera, where the padding beneath the code
    >>>>> lines in the boxes looks as I wish it to; then look in Konqueror, which
    >>>>> here seems to be ignoring it:
    >>>>>
    >>>>> http://blinkynet.net/stuff/comp/filters_ex3test_konq.jpg
    >>>> Can't reproduce this in KDE 3.5.7, for me it looks the same in SeaMonkey
    >>>> and Konqueror, so it may be that the version of Konqueror you use is
    >>>> quite old.
    >>> I don't have SeaMonkey, so I don't know what you see. Can you provide an
    >>> image?

    >> Go to www.mozilla.org and get it, if your distro don't supply it.
    >> Uses the Gecko engine as all the other browsers from mozilla.org.

    >
    > I guess a screen cap is a lot of work.


    I don't see the point as you know how it looks as you use a gecko based
    browser to see how it looks and you said it looked as it should in it.


    >>> Konqueror here is 3.4.2.

    >> If I don't remember it wrong, thats from march 2005, time to upgrade a bit?

    >
    > I doubt that the new one would work with my version of KDE. I change
    > KDE versions when I reinstall Linux. I'm not about to do that for
    > just another gecko-based browser. Thanks.


    *raise eyebrow*
    SeaMonkey do not require you to upgrade and even less reinstall (thats a
    bad word from the microsoft world), or do you upgrade/reinstall your
    complete Linux installation when you switch to a newer version of FF?


    --

    //Aho
     
    J.O. Aho, Sep 23, 2007
    #10
  11. J.O. Aho wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> J.O. Aho wrote:
    >>> Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >>>> J.O. Aho wrote:
    >>>>> Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >>>>>> Test page: http://improve-usenet.html/filters_ex3test.html
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> Please take a look in FF and Opera, where the padding beneath the
    >>>>>> code lines in the boxes looks as I wish it to; then look in
    >>>>>> Konqueror, which here seems to be ignoring it:
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> http://blinkynet.net/stuff/comp/filters_ex3test_konq.jpg
    >>>>> Can't reproduce this in KDE 3.5.7, for me it looks the same in
    >>>>> SeaMonkey and Konqueror, so it may be that the version of
    >>>>> Konqueror you use is quite old.
    >>>> I don't have SeaMonkey, so I don't know what you see. Can you
    >>>> provide an image?
    >>> Go to www.mozilla.org and get it, if your distro don't supply it.
    >>> Uses the Gecko engine as all the other browsers from mozilla.org.

    >>
    >> I guess a screen cap is a lot of work.

    >
    > I don't see the point as you know how it looks as you use a gecko
    > based browser to see how it looks and you said it looked as it should
    > in it.


    If it looks the same here and there, then that's fine.

    >>>> Konqueror here is 3.4.2.
    >>> If I don't remember it wrong, thats from march 2005, time to upgrade
    >>> a bit?

    >>
    >> I doubt that the new one would work with my version of KDE. I change
    >> KDE versions when I reinstall Linux. I'm not about to do that for
    >> just another gecko-based browser. Thanks.

    >
    > *raise eyebrow* SeaMonkey do not require you to upgrade and even less
    > reinstall (thats a bad word from the microsoft world), or do you
    > upgrade/reinstall your complete Linux installation when you switch to
    > a newer version of FF?


    I used "reinstall" to mean "install again". I don't see the problem
    with that usage.

    Of course I don't reinstall my operating system when I upgrade Firefox.
    I guess I missed your sarcasm tags.

    See, what I actually *said* was that I suspect that the newer Konqueror
    requires a newer version of *KDE* than I have. And to preempt "So just
    upgrade KDE" I added that the only time I upgrade KDE is when the
    installation of a new version of my operating system provides the latest
    KDE. I really don't know how to make that progression any clearer for
    you.


    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    The Usenet Improvement Project moved to this site August 28th:
    http://improve-usenet.org
     
    Blinky the Shark, Sep 23, 2007
    #11
  12. Blinky the Shark

    Bergamot Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >
    > I don't have SeaMonkey, so I don't know what you see.


    It's unlikely there's any difference between Seamonkey and Firefox. It's
    all gecko, just different wrappings.

    --
    Berg
     
    Bergamot, Sep 23, 2007
    #12
  13. Blinky the Shark

    freemont Guest

    On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 16:58:39 +0000, Blinky the Shark writ:

    > I don't have SeaMonkey, so I don't know what you see. Can you provide an
    > image?
    >
    > Konqueror here is 3.4.2.


    Konqueror 3.5.4:

    http://i10.tinypic.com/2h3r78h.jpg

    Looks ok in newer version, eh?

    --
    "Because all you of Earth are idiots!"
    ¯`·..·¯`·-> freemont <-·¯`·..·¯
     
    freemont, Sep 24, 2007
    #13
  14. freemont wrote:
    > On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 16:58:39 +0000, Blinky the Shark writ:
    >
    >> I don't have SeaMonkey, so I don't know what you see. Can you provide an
    >> image?
    >>
    >> Konqueror here is 3.4.2.

    >
    > Konqueror 3.5.4:
    >
    > http://i10.tinypic.com/2h3r78h.jpg
    >
    > Looks ok in newer version, eh?


    Excellent. Thanks!

    I decided to leave it the way it is and not worry about Old Konq. I
    haven't seen a lot of such issues with it, but I'm glad New Konq has
    more of its act together.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    The Usenet Improvement Project moved to this site August 28th:
    http://improve-usenet.org
     
    Blinky the Shark, Sep 24, 2007
    #14
  15. Blinky the Shark

    freemont Guest

    On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 03:54:19 +0000, Blinky the Shark writ:

    > freemont wrote:
    >>
    >> Konqueror 3.5.4:
    >>
    >> http://i10.tinypic.com/2h3r78h.jpg
    >>
    >> Looks ok in newer version, eh?

    >
    > Excellent. Thanks!
    >
    > I decided to leave it the way it is and not worry about Old Konq. I
    > haven't seen a lot of such issues with it, but I'm glad New Konq has
    > more of its act together.


    Cool. Also, I just now noticed the typo in that screenshot. :)

    --
    "Because all you of Earth are idiots!"
    ¯`·..·¯`·-> freemont <-·¯`·..·¯
     
    freemont, Sep 24, 2007
    #15
  16. freemont wrote:
    > On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 03:54:19 +0000, Blinky the Shark writ:
    >
    >> freemont wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Konqueror 3.5.4:
    >>>
    >>> http://i10.tinypic.com/2h3r78h.jpg
    >>>
    >>> Looks ok in newer version, eh?

    >>
    >> Excellent. Thanks!
    >>
    >> I decided to leave it the way it is and not worry about Old Konq. I
    >> haven't seen a lot of such issues with it, but I'm glad New Konq has
    >> more of its act together.

    >
    > Cool. Also, I just now noticed the typo in that screenshot. :)


    Darned old version of Konqueror! ;)

    <checks image>

    Urk!

    Fixed. Thanks a lot.


    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    The Usenet Improvement Project moved to this site August 28th:
    http://improve-usenet.org
     
    Blinky the Shark, Sep 24, 2007
    #16
  17. Blinky the Shark

    Ben C Guest

    On 2007-09-23, Blinky the Shark <> wrote:
    > Test page: http://improve-usenet.html/filters_ex3test.html
    >
    > Please take a look in FF and Opera, where the padding beneath the code
    > lines in the boxes looks as I wish it to; then look in Konqueror, which
    > here seems to be ignoring it:
    >
    > http://blinkynet.net/stuff/comp/filters_ex3test_konq.jpg
    >
    > (It's okay in IE, too.)
    >
    > I'd *like* some breathing room between the last line and the bottom of
    > the box (FF, Opera), but if the only way I can get both the top and
    > bottom of the text to be the same relative to the box top and bottom is
    > to reduce the space on the top, that might be Plan B.
    >
    > Of course, if I add padding for Konq, the other browsers display too
    > much space down there.
    >
    > Ideas?


    It's a difference in the way browsers are collapsing whitespace in the
    <pre>.

    In the source you've got a newline after "msgid_only=google". Firefox
    is leaving that in, hence the gap, Konqueror isn't (but should be-- it
    sounds like they've already fixed it).

    If you change the source to msgid_only=google</code></pre>

    like that, with no newline between google and </code>, the gap goes away
    in Firefox too.

    Then you can put the gap back with some padding and it should look the
    same in both.
     
    Ben C, Sep 28, 2007
    #17
  18. Ben C wrote:
    > On 2007-09-23, Blinky the Shark <> wrote:
    >> Test page: http://improve-usenet.html/filters_ex3test.html
    >>
    >> Please take a look in FF and Opera, where the padding beneath the code
    >> lines in the boxes looks as I wish it to; then look in Konqueror, which
    >> here seems to be ignoring it:
    >>
    >> http://blinkynet.net/stuff/comp/filters_ex3test_konq.jpg
    >>
    >> (It's okay in IE, too.)
    >>
    >> I'd *like* some breathing room between the last line and the bottom of
    >> the box (FF, Opera), but if the only way I can get both the top and
    >> bottom of the text to be the same relative to the box top and bottom is
    >> to reduce the space on the top, that might be Plan B.
    >>
    >> Of course, if I add padding for Konq, the other browsers display too
    >> much space down there.
    >>
    >> Ideas?

    >
    > It's a difference in the way browsers are collapsing whitespace in the
    ><pre>.
    >
    > In the source you've got a newline after "msgid_only=google". Firefox
    > is leaving that in, hence the gap, Konqueror isn't (but should be-- it


    Ah!

    > sounds like they've already fixed it).


    Yeppers on the fix.

    > If you change the source to msgid_only=google</code></pre>
    >
    > like that, with no newline between google and </code>, the gap goes away
    > in Firefox too.


    AH!

    > Then you can put the gap back with some padding and it should look the
    > same in both.


    ....and then see if the new Konq in which the current code is okay still
    looks okay. I'm not saying it wouldn't, but that would be just muy
    luck. :)

    Thanks for the explanation (nice catch, Ben)...as well as a fix.

    Looks like I should play around with the

    <pre>
    <code>

    as well.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    The Usenet Improvement Project moved to this site August 28th:
    http://improve-usenet.org
     
    Blinky the Shark, Sep 28, 2007
    #18
  19. Blinky the Shark wrote:
    <snip>

    > <pre>
    > <code>
    >


    One could say that the use of PRE to format multiline code snippet is
    presentational and not semantic, like B, I, BIG & SMALL... Personally
    what I do is just create a class for larger multiline code snippets.

    code.bigSnippet {
    display: block; margin: .5em 1em; padding: .5em;
    border: 1px solid #ccf; white-space: pre;
    }


    <code class="bigSnippet">unsigned int findprime(vector<unsigned int>
    prime, unsigned int target)
    // Finds the Nth prime number in a sequence
    // # if the prime vector already has the target, return it,
    // # else find it and fill up vector with results.
    {
    unsigned int x = prime.back()+1;
    while( target != prime.size() )
    //while we have not gotten to the target
    {
    if (isprime(prime, x) )
    {prime.push_back( x);}
    x++;
    }

    return prime[target-1];
    </code>


    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
     
    Jonathan N. Little, Sep 28, 2007
    #19
  20. Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    ><snip>
    >
    >> <pre>
    >> <code>
    >>

    >
    > One could say that the use of PRE to format multiline code snippet is
    > presentational and not semantic, like B, I, BIG & SMALL... Personally
    > what I do is just create a class for larger multiline code snippets.
    >
    > code.bigSnippet {
    > display: block; margin: .5em 1em; padding: .5em;
    > border: 1px solid #ccf; white-space: pre;
    > }


    Thanks for this idea.


    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    The Usenet Improvement Project moved to this site August 28th:
    http://improve-usenet.org
     
    Blinky the Shark, Sep 28, 2007
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Thomas Bandt

    ASP.NET 2.0 JavaScript Konqueror support?

    Thomas Bandt, Apr 7, 2006, in forum: ASP .Net
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    897
    Juan T. Llibre
    Apr 8, 2006
  2. Timo Nentwig

    Java Swing DnD and Konqueror

    Timo Nentwig, Dec 24, 2004, in forum: Java
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    333
    Timo Nentwig
    Dec 24, 2004
  3. DU
    Replies:
    13
    Views:
    956
  4. Roger
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    109
  5. Replies:
    1
    Views:
    128
Loading...

Share This Page