Konqueror and Padding

Blinky the Shark

Test page: http://improve-usenet.html/filters_ex3test.html

Please take a look in FF and Opera, where the padding beneath the code
lines in the boxes looks as I wish it to; then look in Konqueror, which
here seems to be ignoring it:

http://blinkynet.net/stuff/comp/filters_ex3test_konq.jpg

(It's okay in IE, too.)

I'd *like* some breathing room between the last line and the bottom of
the box (FF, Opera), but if the only way I can get both the top and
bottom of the text to be the same relative to the box top and bottom is
to reduce the space on the top, that might be Plan B.

Of course, if I add padding for Konq, the other browsers display too
much space down there.

Ideas?

J.O. Aho

Allodoxaphobia

Can't reproduce this in KDE 3.5.7, for me it looks the same in SeaMonkey
and Konqueror, so it may be that the version of Konqueror you use is
quite old.

Just might be an old konq problem. I'm running 3.3.2 and it appears
there. It plays the way you want in IE6.0+wine

Ugly suggestion: <br> &nbsp;

Jonesy

Blinky the Shark

J.O. Aho said:
Can't reproduce this in KDE 3.5.7, for me it looks the same in SeaMonkey
and Konqueror, so it may be that the version of Konqueror you use is
quite old.

I don't have SeaMonkey, so I don't know what you see. Can you provide an
image?

Konqueror here is 3.4.2.

Blinky the Shark

Allodoxaphobia said:
Just might be an old konq problem. I'm running 3.3.2 and it appears
there. It plays the way you want in IE6.0+wine

Thanks for the confirmation; as I noted in reply to Aho, i'm using
3.4.2.
Ugly suggestion: <br> &nbsp;

Why wouldn't that add an unwanted blank line to all the other browsers
where this problem doesn't exist, thereby breaking the look for all of
them?

J.O. Aho

Blinky said:
I don't have SeaMonkey, so I don't know what you see. Can you provide an
image?

Go to www.mozilla.org and get it, if your distro don't supply it.
Uses the Gecko engine as all the other browsers from mozilla.org.

Konqueror here is 3.4.2.

If I don't remember it wrong, thats from march 2005, time to upgrade a bit?

Blinky the Shark

J.O. Aho said:
Go to www.mozilla.org and get it, if your distro don't supply it.
Uses the Gecko engine as all the other browsers from mozilla.org.

I guess a screen cap is a lot of work.
If I don't remember it wrong, thats from march 2005, time to upgrade a bit?

I doubt that the new one would work with my version of KDE. I change
KDE versions when I reinstall Linux. I'm not about to do that for
just another gecko-based browser. Thanks.

J.O. Aho

Blinky said:
I guess a screen cap is a lot of work.

I don't see the point as you know how it looks as you use a gecko based
browser to see how it looks and you said it looked as it should in it.

I doubt that the new one would work with my version of KDE. I change
KDE versions when I reinstall Linux. I'm not about to do that for
just another gecko-based browser. Thanks.

*raise eyebrow*
SeaMonkey do not require you to upgrade and even less reinstall (thats a
bad word from the microsoft world), or do you upgrade/reinstall your
complete Linux installation when you switch to a newer version of FF?

Blinky the Shark

J.O. Aho said:
I don't see the point as you know how it looks as you use a gecko
based browser to see how it looks and you said it looked as it should
in it.

If it looks the same here and there, then that's fine.
*raise eyebrow* SeaMonkey do not require you to upgrade and even less
reinstall (thats a bad word from the microsoft world), or do you
upgrade/reinstall your complete Linux installation when you switch to
a newer version of FF?

I used "reinstall" to mean "install again". I don't see the problem
with that usage.

Of course I don't reinstall my operating system when I upgrade Firefox.
I guess I missed your sarcasm tags.

See, what I actually *said* was that I suspect that the newer Konqueror
requires a newer version of *KDE* than I have. And to preempt "So just
upgrade KDE" I added that the only time I upgrade KDE is when the
installation of a new version of my operating system provides the latest
KDE. I really don't know how to make that progression any clearer for
you.

Bergamot

Blinky said:
I don't have SeaMonkey, so I don't know what you see.

It's unlikely there's any difference between Seamonkey and Firefox. It's
all gecko, just different wrappings.

freemont

Excellent. Thanks!

I decided to leave it the way it is and not worry about Old Konq. I
haven't seen a lot of such issues with it, but I'm glad New Konq has
more of its act together.

Cool. Also, I just now noticed the typo in that screenshot. :)

Ben C

Test page: http://improve-usenet.html/filters_ex3test.html

Please take a look in FF and Opera, where the padding beneath the code
lines in the boxes looks as I wish it to; then look in Konqueror, which
here seems to be ignoring it:

http://blinkynet.net/stuff/comp/filters_ex3test_konq.jpg

(It's okay in IE, too.)

I'd *like* some breathing room between the last line and the bottom of
the box (FF, Opera), but if the only way I can get both the top and
bottom of the text to be the same relative to the box top and bottom is
to reduce the space on the top, that might be Plan B.

Of course, if I add padding for Konq, the other browsers display too
much space down there.

Ideas?

It's a difference in the way browsers are collapsing whitespace in the
<pre>.

In the source you've got a newline after "msgid_only=google". Firefox
is leaving that in, hence the gap, Konqueror isn't (but should be-- it
sounds like they've already fixed it).

If you change the source to msgid_only=google</code></pre>

like that, with no newline between google and </code>, the gap goes away
in Firefox too.

Then you can put the gap back with some padding and it should look the
same in both.

Blinky the Shark

Ben said:
It's a difference in the way browsers are collapsing whitespace in the
<pre>.

In the source you've got a newline after "msgid_only=google". Firefox
is leaving that in, hence the gap, Konqueror isn't (but should be-- it
Ah!

sounds like they've already fixed it).

Yeppers on the fix.
If you change the source to msgid_only=google</code></pre>

like that, with no newline between google and </code>, the gap goes away
in Firefox too.
AH!

Then you can put the gap back with some padding and it should look the
same in both.

....and then see if the new Konq in which the current code is okay still
looks okay. I'm not saying it wouldn't, but that would be just muy
luck. :)

Thanks for the explanation (nice catch, Ben)...as well as a fix.

Looks like I should play around with the

<pre>
<code>

as well.

Jonathan N. Little

Blinky the Shark wrote:
<pre>
<code>

One could say that the use of PRE to format multiline code snippet is
presentational and not semantic, like B, I, BIG & SMALL... Personally
what I do is just create a class for larger multiline code snippets.

code.bigSnippet {
display: block; margin: .5em 1em; padding: .5em;
border: 1px solid #ccf; white-space: pre;
}

<code class="bigSnippet">unsigned int findprime(vector<unsigned int>
prime, unsigned int target)
// Finds the Nth prime number in a sequence
// # if the prime vector already has the target, return it,
// # else find it and fill up vector with results.
{
unsigned int x = prime.back()+1;
while( target != prime.size() )
//while we have not gotten to the target
{
if (isprime(prime, x) )
{prime.push_back( x);}
x++;
}

return prime[target-1];
</code>

Blinky the Shark

Jonathan said:
Blinky the Shark wrote:

One could say that the use of PRE to format multiline code snippet is
presentational and not semantic, like B, I, BIG & SMALL... Personally
what I do is just create a class for larger multiline code snippets.

code.bigSnippet {
display: block; margin: .5em 1em; padding: .5em;
border: 1px solid #ccf; white-space: pre;
}

Thanks for this idea.