Konqueror Quirk? Safari?

Blinky the Shark

Tested Opera7.23/Moz1.4/Konq3.1.4/Linux and IE6/W98SE (graphical
browserwise).

Two questions, here: Besides Konqueror, does this also happen in Safari
(no fruit-flavored systems here), and why does it happen?

http://blinkynet.net/spag/haiku.html

http://blinkynet.net/dfstyle1.css

Div for first column uses:

<pre>
[content]

If I use that for the second-column div, the first line of content of
that column is rendered with a blank line preceding it, so it visually
vertically aligns with the *second* line of the first column.

http://blinkynet.net/spag/haiku_jog.html

or http://blinkynet.net/screens/konq.gif

That one-line offset is eliminated if I use this form for the second
column:

<pre>[content]

It looks like <pre> is differently treating, in each column, the CR that
follows it.

The second-column *div* isn't being jogged downward one that line --
giving test borders to the two divs show that their tops are aligned,
but that one blank line leads off the second.

Why is this apparently inconsistent between the two <pre>s? Or am I
missing something else?

T. Audry Glamour

Blinky the Shark said:
Tested Opera7.23/Moz1.4/Konq3.1.4/Linux and IE6/W98SE (graphical
browserwise).

Two questions, here: Besides Konqueror, does this also happen in Safari
(no fruit-flavored systems here), and why does it happen?

I can answer one question. Yes, it happens in Safari 1.0v85 when
viewing http://blinkynet.net/spag/haiku_jog.html

Can't answer the other, sorry!

Audry

Blinky the Shark

Blinky said:
T. Audry Glamour said:
Thanks for the confirmation, Audry.
I want my money back. ;)

<piggybacking on my own post, here> Oink!

I just found that I'd uploaded the wrong version of this page for
http://blinkynet.net/spag/haiku_jog.html (the one that I've asked
about, not the one that works). The one that's up there now is the
right broken one, and the one at which my question about <pre>
inconsistency points. Sorry about that. It was only off by one
keystroke, but that one was...er...key.

Marco Bakker

Blinky the Shark said:
Blinky said:
T. Audry Glamour said:
<piggybacking on my own post, here> Oink!

I just found that I'd uploaded the wrong version of this page for
http://blinkynet.net/spag/haiku_jog.html (the one that I've asked
about, not the one that works). The one that's up there now is the
right broken one, and the one at which my question about <pre>
inconsistency points. Sorry about that. It was only off by one
keystroke, but that one was...er...key.

I see no problem/blank line here in hte second column.
Using Safari 1.2v125.

T. Audry Glamour

Blinky the Shark said:
I just found that I'd uploaded the wrong version of this page for
http://blinkynet.net/spag/haiku_jog.html (the one that I've asked
about, not the one that works). The one that's up there now is the
right broken one, and the one at which my question about <pre>
inconsistency points. Sorry about that. It was only off by one
keystroke, but that one was...er...key.

Now http://blinkynet.net/spag/haiku_jog.html has no blank line at the
top of the second column.

In your first request I wasn't sure *which* file was the problem one
so that's why I included the whole name in my reply.

HTH :)

Audry

Blinky the Shark

T. Audry Glamour said:
Blinky the Shark said:
[quoted text muted]

Now http://blinkynet.net/spag/haiku_jog.html has no blank line at the
top of the second column.

Hmmm. Still does, here.

Fresh image:
http://blinkynet.net/screens/konqcolumn.gif
In your first request I wasn't sure *which* file was the problem one
so that's why I included the whole name in my reply.

Problem:
http://blinkynet.net/spag/haiku_jog.html - jogged column

Workaround:
http://blinkynet.net/spag/haiku.html - even columns