KPIC makes programs running crash when libraries are recompiled

Discussion in 'C++' started by jortizclaver, Feb 22, 2006.

  1. jortizclaver

    jortizclaver Guest

    [Solaris 2.8 && Sun Studio 10]

    Hi,

    I have a very simple library that wraps a Timer class and a test
    program linked to it.

    First of all, I compile the library and the main without the KPIC flag.
    Then, I execute the program and, while it's running, I add some dummy
    sentence to the library and recompile it. Nothing happens to the binary
    running. It keep unaware of changes in the library and keeps running.

    Now, I recompile everything with KPIC and try to make the same test.
    Just when the library has been recompiled, execution is broken by a
    core dump.

    You'd say that it has an easy solution: do not use the KPIC but I'm
    trying to develop my program in 64 bits and I'm forced - as far as I
    know - to compile using the KPIC flag.

    Any idea of how to make it work? I can't assume to stop all my programs
    after any change in the library.

    Thanks in advance
    Jorge Ortiz

    jortizclaver, Feb 22, 2006