<LABEL> Element not displaying in IE6 on one page, fine on others?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Erik Harris, Nov 15, 2006.

  1. Erik Harris

    Erik Harris Guest

    Now that I've got my web sites on a "real" host instead of my ISP, I've
    replaced my mailto: links with PHP forms to prevent future address harvesting
    from spammers.

    I've created three contact forms. One's on a work-in-progress website, but
    the other two are at:

    http://www.eharrishome.com/contact.html
    and
    http://www.kungfu-silat.com/contact.html

    I was looking at the sites from work to make sure I didn't break anything on
    some older browsers, seeing as our work systems are out of date, running
    Netscape 7.0 and IE6. I discovered that Netscape 7.0 has a bug preventing it
    from using the <LABEL> element, and decided that I don't really care about
    that, since I believe it was fixed in a 7.01 update. Anyone who is using 7.0
    and is unwilling to upgrade increntally deserves whatever they get. :)

    However, in IE6, ONE of the three contact forms displays with no labels. The
    www.kungfu-silat.com/contact.html form appears with nothing to the left of
    the text boxes. This issue bothers me, since IE6 still has a huge market
    penetration, and is likely to continue to be common given the large number of
    people not using WinXP SP2, and the large number of people who are likely to
    simply not install for awhile even though they do have XP SP2.

    Can anyone tell me what I did wrong on this page? Or, assuming I did nothing
    wrong with the page (it validates, it displays as expected in Firefox and
    IE7), can anyone tell me what I can do to make IE6 behave with this page, as
    it does with the other contact forms that use the same script basically the
    same layout?

    Erik Harris http://www.eHarrisHome.com
    n$wsr$ader@$harrishom$.com - replace each dollar sign with an e
    Chinese-Indonesian Martial Arts Club http://www.kungfu-silat.com
    Erik Harris, Nov 15, 2006

  2. Erik Harris

    BootNic Guest

    > Erik Harris <n$wsr$ader@$harrishom$.com> wrote:
    > Now that I've got my web sites on a "real" host instead of my ISP,
    > I've replaced my mailto: links with PHP forms to prevent future
    > address harvesting from spammers.
    >
    > I've created three contact forms. One's on a work-in-progress
    > website, but the other two are at:
    >
    > http://www.eharrishome.com/contact.html
    > and
    > http://www.kungfu-silat.com/contact.html
    >
    > I was looking at the sites from work to make sure I didn't break
    > anything on some older browsers, seeing as our work systems are out
    > of date, running Netscape 7.0 and IE6.

    [snip]

    One download Multiple versions, pick which ones you want during
    install.

    http://tredosoft.com/Multiple_IE

    > However, in IE6, ONE of the three contact forms displays with no
    > labels. The www.kungfu-silat.com/contact.html form appears with
    > nothing to the left of the text boxes.

    [snip]

    > Can anyone tell me what I did wrong on this page? Or, assuming I did
    > nothing wrong with the page (it validates, it displays as expected in
    > Firefox and IE7), can anyone tell me what I can do to make IE6 behave
    > with this page, as it does with the other contact forms that use the
    > same script basically the same layout?

    Sounds like it may be related to the peekaboo bug.

    http://www.positioniseverything.net/explorer/peekaboo.html

    Adding position:relative; to the label {} seems to resolve the issue.

    --
    BootNic Wednesday, November 15, 2006 6:51 PM

    Humor is just another defense against the universe.
    *Mel Brooks*
    BootNic, Nov 15, 2006

  3. Erik Harris

    Erik Harris Guest

    On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 23:51:55 GMT, "BootNic" <>
    wrote:

    >One download Multiple versions, pick which ones you want during
    >install.

    >http://tredosoft.com/Multiple_IE

    Thanks. I've been meaning to do a Standalone IE6 installation, I just
    haven't gotten around to it yet. This looks even better!

    >> Can anyone tell me what I did wrong on this page? Or, assuming I did
    >> nothing wrong with the page (it validates, it displays as expected in
    >> Firefox and IE7), can anyone tell me what I can do to make IE6 behave
    >> with this page, as it does with the other contact forms that use the
    >> same script basically the same layout?

    >Sounds like it may be related to the peekaboo bug.

    >http://www.positioniseverything.net/explorer/peekaboo.html

    >Adding position:relative; to the label {} seems to resolve the issue.

    Thanks again! I guess, just because the form is inside a DIV on the gungfu
    club page, it has a problem there and not on my personal homepage, where
    there's no background DIV, though the form HTML itself is identical (and the
    CSS is almost identical, though the color scheme is different)

    Erik Harris, Nov 16, 2006