<LABEL> Element not displaying in IE6 on one page, fine on others?

Erik Harris

Now that I've got my web sites on a "real" host instead of my ISP, I've
replaced my mailto: links with PHP forms to prevent future address harvesting
from spammers.

I've created three contact forms. One's on a work-in-progress website, but
the other two are at:

http://www.eharrishome.com/contact.html
and
http://www.kungfu-silat.com/contact.html

I was looking at the sites from work to make sure I didn't break anything on
some older browsers, seeing as our work systems are out of date, running
Netscape 7.0 and IE6. I discovered that Netscape 7.0 has a bug preventing it
from using the <LABEL> element, and decided that I don't really care about
that, since I believe it was fixed in a 7.01 update. Anyone who is using 7.0
and is unwilling to upgrade increntally deserves whatever they get. :)

However, in IE6, ONE of the three contact forms displays with no labels. The
www.kungfu-silat.com/contact.html form appears with nothing to the left of
the text boxes. This issue bothers me, since IE6 still has a huge market
penetration, and is likely to continue to be common given the large number of
people not using WinXP SP2, and the large number of people who are likely to
simply not install for awhile even though they do have XP SP2.

Can anyone tell me what I did wrong on this page? Or, assuming I did nothing
wrong with the page (it validates, it displays as expected in Firefox and
IE7), can anyone tell me what I can do to make IE6 behave with this page, as
it does with the other contact forms that use the same script basically the
same layout?

Erik Harris http://www.eHarrisHome.com
n$wsr$ader@$harrishom$.com - replace each dollar sign with an e
Chinese-Indonesian Martial Arts Club http://www.kungfu-silat.com

BootNic

Erik Harris said:
news: (e-mail address removed)
Now that I've got my web sites on a "real" host instead of my ISP,
I've replaced my mailto: links with PHP forms to prevent future
address harvesting from spammers.

I've created three contact forms. One's on a work-in-progress
website, but the other two are at:

http://www.eharrishome.com/contact.html
and
http://www.kungfu-silat.com/contact.html

I was looking at the sites from work to make sure I didn't break
anything on some older browsers, seeing as our work systems are out
of date, running Netscape 7.0 and IE6.

[snip]

One download Multiple versions, pick which ones you want during
install.

http://tredosoft.com/Multiple_IE
However, in IE6, ONE of the three contact forms displays with no
labels. The www.kungfu-silat.com/contact.html form appears with
nothing to the left of the text boxes.
[snip]

Can anyone tell me what I did wrong on this page? Or, assuming I did
nothing wrong with the page (it validates, it displays as expected in
Firefox and IE7), can anyone tell me what I can do to make IE6 behave
with this page, as it does with the other contact forms that use the
same script basically the same layout?

Sounds like it may be related to the peekaboo bug.

http://www.positioniseverything.net/explorer/peekaboo.html

Adding position:relative; to the label {} seems to resolve the issue.

Erik Harris

One download Multiple versions, pick which ones you want during
install.

Thanks. I've been meaning to do a Standalone IE6 installation, I just
haven't gotten around to it yet. This looks even better!
Sounds like it may be related to the peekaboo bug.

Adding position:relative; to the label {} seems to resolve the issue.

Thanks again! I guess, just because the form is inside a DIV on the gungfu
club page, it has a problem there and not on my personal homepage, where
there's no background DIV, though the form HTML itself is identical (and the
CSS is almost identical, though the color scheme is different)