label setCursor not working when main frame is maximized

Chris

I have a label in a JInternalFrame. The label has a mouseListener on
it, to listen for clicks but also when the mouse is over the label.
When the mouse is over it, I want to change the cursor to a hand
cursor, and back to normal when exiting the label. All this works
when my frame & internal frame are their start up sizes, but if I
maximize the main JFrame and then move the mouse over the label, no
hand! But it's still clickable. For some reason teh setCursor isn't
working. But un-maximize the JFrame & things work again.

In the sample code below, I have 2 classes, the main application frame
that extends JFrame, and MyInternalFrame that extends JInternalFrame.
It's in the internal frame that holds the label & mouseListener.

Any help appreciated!!

import java.awt.BorderLayout;
import java.awt.Cursor;
import java.awt.event.MouseAdapter;
import java.awt.event.MouseEvent;
import javax.swing.*;

public class TestLabelLink extends JFrame {
JDesktopPane desktop;

public TestLabelLink() {
super("Test");

setSize(400,400);

//Set up the GUI.
desktop = new JDesktopPane(); //a specialized layered pane

MyInternalFrame frame = new MyInternalFrame();
frame.setVisible(true); //necessary as of 1.3
desktop.add(frame);
try {
frame.setSelected(true);
} catch (java.beans.PropertyVetoException e) {}

setContentPane(desktop);

//Make dragging a little faster but perhaps uglier.
desktop.setDragMode(JDesktopPane.OUTLINE_DRAG_MODE);
}

//Quit the application.
protected void quit() {
System.exit(0);
}

/**
* Create the GUI and show it. For thread safety,
* this method should be invoked from the
* event-dispatching thread.
*/
private static void createAndShowGUI() {
//Make sure we have nice window decorations.
JFrame.setDefaultLookAndFeelDecorated(true);

//Create and set up the window.
TestLabelLink frame = new TestLabelLink();

//Display the window.
frame.setVisible(true);

//Schedule a job for the event-dispatching thread:
//creating and showing this application's GUI.
javax.swing.SwingUtilities.invokeLater(new Runnable() {
public void run() {
createAndShowGUI();
}
});

class MyInternalFrame extends JInternalFrame {

body></html>");

public MyInternalFrame() {
super();
setSize(200,200);

this.getContentPane().add(label, BorderLayout.NORTH);

label.addMouseListener(new MouseAdapter() {
public void mouseClicked(MouseEvent e) {
System.out.println("bang!");
}

public void mouseEntered(MouseEvent e) {
label.setCursor(new Cursor(Cursor.HAND_CURSOR));
}

public void mouseExited(MouseEvent e) {
label.setCursor(new Cursor(Cursor.DEFAULT_CURSOR));
}
});

Jeff Higgins

Chris said:
[...]

Just a guess. Do the mouseEnter and Mouse Exit events ever fire when
MyInternalFrame is maximised?

Jeff Higgins

Jeff said:
Just a guess. Do the mouseEnter and Mouse Exit events ever fire when
MyInternalFrame is maximised?
Oops! The listener is on the label, sorry.

Jeff Higgins

Chris said:
I have a label in a JInternalFrame. The label has a mouseListener on
it, to listen for clicks but also when the mouse is over the label.
When the mouse is over it, I want to change the cursor to a hand
cursor, and back to normal when exiting the label. All this works
when my frame & internal frame are their start up sizes, but if I
maximize the main JFrame and then move the mouse over the label, no
hand! But it's still clickable. For some reason teh setCursor isn't
working. But un-maximize the JFrame & things work again.
Seems to work as you hope here. WinXP Java 1.6

Jeff Higgins

Peter said:
Well, it is. But that would still be something for the OP to verify.
It's possible there's some bug preventing those events from firing when
the container is maximized, even though he's listening on the label
control.

A quick web search reveals Bug Id 6242833, status fixed. Linux, 5.0 , b05.