Labels and usercontrols

Micke Palm

Hi!

I want to use a parent page and load webusercontrols to this page dynamically. The problem I got is how I can set a label.text in parent page from a usercontrol.

A scenenario is if I have a button into the usercontrol and want to set a text to a label in the parents page. I've set the click_sub to public and the label to friend so I can se it, but when I try to dedicate a text I got this error.

My declaration is ...
Dim test As New myParentClass
test.ChangedBy.Text = "Ett test"

Do anyone have a clue how I can do this. I have also test with a property and I succeed to dedicate the value to the property ,but how can I get it to the label. Maybe I need reload the parent page?

Maybe sessions are a better way to move the data??

/regards, Micke

ranganh

Dear Micke,

In the Usercontrol, set a property

public string lbl_Text
{
set
{
lbl_Text=value;

then when you load the usercontrol in the page, you can also provide the value for the property in the page.

Hope it helps.

Jos

Micke Palm said:
Hi!

I want to use a parent page and load webusercontrols to this page
dynamically. The problem I got is how I can set a label.text in parent page
from a usercontrol.
A scenenario is if I have a button into the usercontrol and want to set a
text to a label in the parents page. I've set the click_sub to public and
the label to friend so I can se it, but when I try to dedicate a >text I got
this error.

My declaration is ...
Dim test As New myParentClass
test.ChangedBy.Text = "Ett test"

Use:
Dim test As myParentClass = CType(Page,myParentClass)
test.ChangedBy.Text = "Ett test"

By the way, I believe that your problem indicates a flaw in your design.
According to the object oriented philosophy, a user control is
supposed to stand on its own. It shouldn't need to access external
controls, nor should it assume that its parent is of a certain class.

You could consider making the label a part of the user control,
except if you want to add multiple user controls and a single label
to your page. In that case, you could consider adding an event
to the user control, adding an event handler to the page, and
setting the label's text there.

Jos

Micke Palm

I've try a property too and sure I can save data into the property ,but how
can I pick it up. As you know a aspnet is not the same like vbnet cos the
page need to reload and build up all controls from scratch everytime it
loads.
So its no problem to save it into a property the problem is when I need to
get it into the label.

/regards, micke

ranganh said:
Dear Micke,

In the Usercontrol, set a property

public string lbl_Text
{
set
{
lbl_Text=value;

then when you load the usercontrol in the page, you can also provide the
value for the property in the page.
Hope it helps.
dynamically. The problem I got is how I can set a label.text in parent page
from a usercontrol.a text to a label in the parents page. I've set the click_sub to public and
the label to friend so I can se it, but when I try to dedicate a text I got
this error.property and I succeed to dedicate the value to the property ,but how can I
get it to the label. Maybe I need reload the parent page?

Micke Palm

CType(Page,myParentClass)
Did the trick...thanks!

I understand what you mean with "a webuser control should stand alone" and I
agree ,but in this case I really need it cos I building a Wizard and I don't
want all code in the same page. That's the reason.

/Thanks for the help, micke