labels included in tabs - how can we reset this

windandwaves

Hi

In Firefox tabbing through a form is not working as intended. Please
visit http://www.cloud9.co.nz/enquiries/ for an example. It seems
that by using the tab key, you go to a label and then an input box, a
label, an input box, etc....

The html for the form can not be changed (even though it does not
validate!), but I was wondering if you can change a setting to change
this.

Thank you

Nicolaas
www.sunnysideup.co.nz

Jonathan N. Little

windandwaves said:
Hi

In Firefox tabbing through a form is not working as intended. Please
visit http://www.cloud9.co.nz/enquiries/ for an example. It seems
that by using the tab key, you go to a label and then an input box, a
label, an input box, etc....

The html for the form can not be changed (even though it does not
validate!), but I was wondering if you can change a setting to change
this.

Fatal error: Unsupported operand types in
/mnt/gs02/herd03/29059/domains/cloud9.co.nz/html/sapphire/misc/Browscap.php
on line 272

windandwaves

Hi Jonathan

Can you tell me what browser you are using please? Could you view it
in an alternative browser? I have never seen this error.

Cheers

Nicolaas

Jonathan N. Little

windandwaves said:
Hi Jonathan

Can you tell me what browser you are using please? Could you view it
in an alternative browser? I have never seen this error.

Yes, SeaMonkey 1.1.8. This highlights the major flaw in using UserAgent
string stiffing to controlling your site, be it client-side with
JavaScript or server side with PHP's Browscap. Your browsercap.ini can
never have all browsers listed, nor always we be to date.

BTW SeaMonkey 1.1.8 is quite capable of rendering your site, it is your
code that it preventing it. Wonder what would have happened if I used
Epiphany http://www.gnome.org/projects/epiphany/

BTW your problem has something to do this your styling. Disable your
stylesheet and it tabs as it should. Such a mess that I do not have time
to decipher it...

BTW 2: what is the advantage of XHTML1.1 if you have to reparse it as
HTML for old IE? Why not use HTML and and be done with it and dump the
browscap and solve two problems with one "stone"?

windandwaves

Hi Jonathan

Much appreciate your help. Can you please check if it is still
happening (the problems with Seamonkey). Totally agree with you about
that browser sniffing thing.

windandwaves

the error in the css is as follows:

..field {overflow: auto;} for some reason, in firefox, this css means
the label gets a tab-index as well.

rf

windandwaves said:
the error in the css is as follows:

.field {overflow: auto;} for some reason, in firefox, this css means
the label gets a tab-index as well.

It's not the label that is getting getting tab-index, it is the containing
div. Watch closely where the focus rectangle is presented, around the div.

overflow: auto established a new block formatting context. This may have
something to do with it. Why do you need overflow: auto on that div anyway?