labels on panels disappear

Discussion in 'Java' started by Robert, Dec 2, 2003.

  1. Robert

    Robert Guest

    Hi everyone,

    I am pretty new to Java and I am writing a simple chess applet. My
    chessboard is a gridlayout with panels. On those panels there are
    labels which symbolize the chess pieces. When I click on a piece I can
    then click on a second field of the chessboard and the piece (the
    label) moves to it. For some reason it does not show up there though.
    When I run the applet using Eclipse I can make the piece show up when
    I resize the applet with my mouse. When I load the applet with a
    browser this does not work either. It is strange to me that everyting
    works fine when I move a piece to a field where there had been another
    piece before. Not so, when I move the piece to a field, where there
    has not been another piece before. I have tried several repaint
    methods on it but it still has not worked. Please help me out on this.
    You can try my applet at

    http://mycgiserver.com/~schachserver/Schach/schachclient.html

    Note that the labels are in German but this does not matter. Hit the
    "Ziehen" button and you can then move the pieces. Click on a piece and
    it will be highlighted. Then click on second field (no matter where as
    long as there is no piece on it) and it will move there.

    You can see what I mean if you move the piece in the upper left corner
    to some field with no piece on it. It will not show up there. If you
    then move the piece next to it (second colum, upper row) to the upper
    left corner. This will show up there for some reason.

    Please help.
    Robert, Dec 2, 2003

  2. Robert wrote:

    Stop multiposting already.
    This will not be getting you any more help, au contraire even.

    --
    Regards,
    Christophe Vanfleteren
    Christophe Vanfleteren, Dec 2, 2003

  3. "Christophe Vanfleteren" <> wrote in message
    > Robert wrote:
    >
    > Stop multiposting already.
    > This will not be getting you any more help, au contraire even.

    I agree with Christophe.

    I already replied to you on c.l.j.g., and I
    have no intention of responding to the
    discussion here as well.

    --
    Andrew Thompson
    Andrew Thompson, Dec 2, 2003
  4. Robert

    Robert Guest

    Sorry guys,

    I probably still have no idea of the complexity of Usenet. I could not
    believe that people could actually come across more then one of each
    copy.

    Robert, Dec 4, 2003