labels.xml file riddled with "errors"?

The Bicycling Guitarist

The htmlhelp online validator used to just check this xml file for
"well-formedness" if I remember rightly. However, now it says that with no
doctype declared it is assuming html 4.01 transitional and error after error
is reported.

How do I fix this? the page is at www.TheBicyclingGuitarist.net/labels.xml
It's been unchanged since January 2006. It's the VALIDATOR that has changed
how it regards this file. What should I do, please?

dorayme

The htmlhelp online validator used to just check this xml file for
"well-formedness" if I remember rightly. However, now it says that with no
doctype declared it is assuming html 4.01 transitional and error after error
is reported.

How do I fix this? the page is at www.TheBicyclingGuitarist.net/labels.xml
It's been unchanged since January 2006. It's the VALIDATOR that has changed
how it regards this file. What should I do, please?

Stop kidding. That's my job around here.

The Bicycling Guitarist

--
I'm not kidding. The htmlhelp validator for whatever reason isn't treating
this page the way it did last week and for the past year and a half. I

dorayme

I'm not kidding. The htmlhelp validator for whatever reason isn't treating
this page the way it did last week and for the past year and a half. I
routinely check 100 pages at a time with that validator, and until now it
always passed.
The w3.org validator passes this page, but says there is a character
encoding mismatch because the page has a meta tag specifying iso-8859-1 and
my server is sending utf-8 that overrides this (I just recently (july 20)
finally had the i.s.p. server declare utf-8 after being aware of the problem
for four years). Should I change the iso-8859-1 in the labels.xml document
to UTF-8? Does case matter? should it be UTF-8 or utf-8 for an xml document.
Do xml documents have doctypes? what should this one be? I am using it as
supplied by the folks at ICRA back in January 2006.

At your "url" I get stuff like this:

2006-1-11 http://www.icra.org/rdfs/vocabularyv03#
thebicyclingguitarist.net ss.webring.com
thebicyclingguitarist\.net/songs/longhair\.htm$
thebicyclingguitarist\.net/songs/99point\.htm
thebicyclingguitarist\.net/friends/die-ary\.htm
thebicyclingguitarist\.net/songs/redbaron\.htm
thebicyclingguitarist\.net/songs/history\.htm
thebicyclingguitarist\.net/songs/didihear\.htm
thebicyclingguitarist\.net/songs/domestic\.htm
thebicyclingguitarist\.net/songs/scotty\.htm
thebicyclingguitarist\.net/songs/spankthe\.htm
thebicyclingguitarist\.net/songs/marylou\.htm
thebicyclingguitarist\.net/songs/legalize\.htm Label for all/most
of website 1 1 1 1 1 1 No nudity; No sexual material; No
violence; No potentially offensive languag...

What are you doing? Post a url with all the bells and whistles
http:// etc and test it beforehand.

In the source code is this sort of thing:

<rdf:RDF
xmlns:dcterms="http://purl.org/dc/terms/"
xmlns:label="http://www.w3.org/2004/12/q/contentlabel#"
xmlns:icra="http://www.icra.org/rdfs/vocabularyv03#">

<rdf:Description rdf:about="">
<dc:creator rdf:resource="http://www.icra.org" />
<dcterms:issued>2006-1-11</dcterms:issued>

<label:authorityFor>http://www.icra.org/rdfs/vocabularyv03#</label
:authorityFor>
</rdf:Description>

<label:Ruleset>
<label:hasHostRestrictions>
<label:Hosts>
<label:hostRestriction>thebicycl

on and on. This is not any usual HTML writing practice?

Sherm Pendley

The Bicycling Guitarist said:
The htmlhelp online validator used to just check this xml file for
"well-formedness" if I remember rightly. However, now it says that with no
doctype declared it is assuming html 4.01 transitional and error after error
is reported.

How do I fix this? the page is at www.TheBicyclingGuitarist.net/labels.xml
It's been unchanged since January 2006. It's the VALIDATOR that has changed
how it regards this file. What should I do, please?

Serve it with the correct MIME type. Right now, it's being served as:

Basically, the validator is treating the document as HTML because that's
what your server is saying it is.

sherm--

dorayme

"asdf said:
"dorayme"

He's not kidding, the W3C Validator DOES change.

Yes, I gather that... it's all mumbo jumbo to me. I _do_ like the
idea of a bicycling guitarist though...

Sherm Pendley

dorayme said:
I _do_ like the idea of a bicycling guitarist though...

I have to admit, it sounds like a neat idea. But, I prefer my guitars
amplified and distorted - that's quite a bit of gear to lug around on
a bike.

sherm--

John Hosking

I guess you mean WDG's validator at http://htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/

[now reports problems]

I've used this validator only about three times in my life, and never
with an XML file, so I can't confirm or deny any changes. But look at
http://htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/changelog.html.en , which is, well,
a list of changes made to the validator.

[dorayme's valid sig separator snipped by me (John), because OE doesn't
do it automatically and you (Chris) missed it when you manually (and
quite appropriately) trimmed his sig]
I'm not kidding. The htmlhelp validator for whatever reason isn't treating
this page the way it did last week and for the past year and a half. I
routinely check 100 pages at a time with that validator, and until now it
always passed.
The w3.org validator passes this page, but

That's presumably when you pretend it's HTML, which it's not. W3C's
validator then only checks the XML syntax, so you get (kind of) lucky.
says there is a character
encoding mismatch because the page has a meta tag specifying iso-8859-1 and
my server is sending utf-8 that overrides this (I just recently (july 20)
finally had the i.s.p. server declare utf-8 after being aware of the problem
for four years).

If this is supposed to be a feed, you can validate it via
http://validator.w3.org/feed/check.cgi?url=http://www.thebicyclingguitarist.net/labels.xml

The Bicycling Guitarist

Sherm Pendley said:
I have to admit, it sounds like a neat idea. But, I prefer my guitars
amplified and distorted - that's quite a bit of gear to lug around on
a bike.

sherm--
Pignose battery-powered amplifier on the back rack over the rear
wheel...instrument cable to the guitar...I like the Pignose better than the
smaller 9-V battery-powered Fender amp I used to use, because the Pignose
sounds good clean or distorted while the tiny little speaker of the Fender
amp is distorted all the time because of its size.

The Bicycling Guitarist

Sherm Pendley said:
Serve it with the correct MIME type. Right now, it's being served as:

Basically, the validator is treating the document as HTML because that's
what your server is saying it is.
Thank you Sherm, I think I see now. It isn't the validator that has changed;
I just recently changed (had the tech support person change) what the server
declares.

But this file is being used as it was given to me, generated by ICRA. I
didn't write it and it isn't meant to be HTML. I do see that I might have
posted off-topic to this newsgroup

The Bicycling Guitarist

The Bicycling Guitarist said:
The htmlhelp online validator used to just check this xml file for How do
I fix this? the page is at www.TheBicyclingGuitarist.net/labels.xml It's
been unchanged since January 2006. It's the VALIDATOR that has changed how
it regards this file. What should I do, please?

I will redo the file using the ICRA label generator and see if that fixes
the problem.

Does one need a different server header for individual pages that are not
html, i.e., xml files? Everything on my site is apparently being sent as
html even if it isn't html.

Thanks

Sherm Pendley

The Bicycling Guitarist said:
Pignose battery-powered amplifier on the back rack over the rear
wheel...instrument cable to the guitar...I like the Pignose better than the
smaller 9-V battery-powered Fender amp I used to use, because the Pignose
sounds good clean or distorted while the tiny little speaker of the Fender
amp is distorted all the time because of its size.

When I say amplified, I mean AMPLIFIED. Nothing less than a full stack of
two 4x12 cabs and a 100+ watt Marshall amp will do. :)

sherm--

The Bicycling Guitarist

Sherm Pendley said:
When I say amplified, I mean AMPLIFIED. Nothing less than a full stack of
two 4x12 cabs and a 100+ watt Marshall amp will do. :)
Well, I *could* run wireless and ride in circles around a Marshall stack. As
long as the stack is in line of sight, it would work.

Sherm Pendley

The Bicycling Guitarist said:
Thank you Sherm, I think I see now. It isn't the validator that has changed;
I just recently changed (had the tech support person change) what the server
declares.

But this file is being used as it was given to me, generated by ICRA.

There's probably nothing wrong with the contents of the file itself - What
you need to do is configure (or have someone configure) your server to
send the proper MIME type of application/xml for .xml files.

I noticed when looking at the HTTP headers that the page is being served by
IIS on Windows; if it were Apache, I could tell you how to do the above. But
I don't know IIS, so I can't help you there.

sherm--

Sherm Pendley

The Bicycling Guitarist said:
I will redo the file using the ICRA label generator and see if that fixes
the problem.

It won't. The problem is not the contents of the file, the problem is in
the HTTP headers your server is sending, more specifically the "Content-type"
header line.
Does one need a different server header for individual pages that are not
html, i.e., xml files?

Yes. Web browsers don't use file extensions to identify file types, they use
the MIME type listed in the "Content-type:" HTTP header. The generic type for
XML is application/xml, but some specific XML application types (XHTML, RSS,
XSLT, etc.) will also have their own specific MIME type.
Everything on my site is apparently being sent as
html even if it isn't html.

That's the problem. Your server is telling the validator that the file is
HTML, so it tries to validate it as HTML.

sherm--

dorayme

Sherm Pendley said:
I have to admit, it sounds like a neat idea. But, I prefer my guitars
amplified and distorted - that's quite a bit of gear to lug around on
a bike.

You could build the amplifier circuitry into the bike, the
pedalling to power a generator and like that. The only plucking I
ever did on a bike was sticking on cardboard and plastic bits to
the forks to twang the spokes and make like a motorbike before I
was allowed to get one...

Now there is an idea... put in some subsidiary guitar string
"spokes", the tension of which could be adjusted at the
handlebars. The Bicycle Guitar. A more unified concept.

dorayme

Sherm Pendley said:
When I say amplified, I mean AMPLIFIED. Nothing less than a full stack of
two 4x12 cabs and a 100+ watt Marshall amp will do. :)

Jesus! Sherm... HEY SHERM... HOW'S YOUR HEARING THESE DAYS?