    How do I fix this? the page is at www.TheBicyclingGuitarist.net/labels.xml
    It's been unchanged since January 2006. It's the VALIDATOR that has changed
    how it regards this file. What should I do, please?

    The Bicycling Guitarist, Jul 27, 2007

  2. The Bicycling Guitarist

    dorayme Guest

    In article <bZeqi.291$>,
    "The Bicycling Guitarist" <>
    wrote:

    > The htmlhelp online validator used to just check this xml file for
    > "well-formedness" if I remember rightly. However, now it says that with no
    > doctype declared it is assuming html 4.01 transitional and error after error
    > is reported.
    >
    > How do I fix this? the page is at www.TheBicyclingGuitarist.net/labels.xml
    > It's been unchanged since January 2006. It's the VALIDATOR that has changed
    > how it regards this file. What should I do, please?

    Stop kidding. That's my job around here.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Jul 27, 2007

  3. "dorayme" <> wrote in message
    > In article <bZeqi.291$>,
    > "The Bicycling Guitarist" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> The htmlhelp online validator used to just check this xml file for
    >> "well-formedness" if I remember rightly. However, now it says that with
    >> no
    >> doctype declared it is assuming html 4.01 transitional and error after
    >> error
    >> is reported.
    >>
    >> How do I fix this? the page is at
    >> www.TheBicyclingGuitarist.net/labels.xml
    >> It's been unchanged since January 2006. It's the VALIDATOR that has
    >> changed
    >> how it regards this file. What should I do, please?

    > Stop kidding. That's my job around here.
    >
    > --

    I'm not kidding. The htmlhelp validator for whatever reason isn't treating
    this page the way it did last week and for the past year and a half. I
    routinely check 100 pages at a time with that validator, and until now it
    always passed.
    The w3.org validator passes this page, but says there is a character
    encoding mismatch because the page has a meta tag specifying iso-8859-1 and
    my server is sending utf-8 that overrides this (I just recently (july 20)
    finally had the i.s.p. server declare utf-8 after being aware of the problem
    for four years). Should I change the iso-8859-1 in the labels.xml document
    to UTF-8? Does case matter? should it be UTF-8 or utf-8 for an xml document.
    Do xml documents have doctypes? what should this one be? I am using it as
    supplied by the folks at ICRA back in January 2006.

    The Bicycling Guitarist, Jul 27, 2007
  4. The Bicycling Guitarist

    dorayme Guest

    In article <yHfqi.1430$>,
    "The Bicycling Guitarist" <>
    wrote:

    > "dorayme" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <bZeqi.291$>,
    > > "The Bicycling Guitarist" <>
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > >> The htmlhelp online validator used to just check this xml file for
    > >> "well-formedness" if I remember rightly. However, now it says that with
    > >> no
    > >> doctype declared it is assuming html 4.01 transitional and error after
    > >> error
    > >> is reported.
    > >>
    > >> How do I fix this? the page is at
    > >> www.TheBicyclingGuitarist.net/labels.xml
    > >> It's been unchanged since January 2006. It's the VALIDATOR that has
    > >> changed
    > >> how it regards this file. What should I do, please?

    > > Stop kidding. That's my job around here.
    > >
    > > --

    > I'm not kidding. The htmlhelp validator for whatever reason isn't treating
    > this page the way it did last week and for the past year and a half. I
    > routinely check 100 pages at a time with that validator, and until now it
    > always passed.
    > The w3.org validator passes this page, but says there is a character
    > encoding mismatch because the page has a meta tag specifying iso-8859-1 and
    > my server is sending utf-8 that overrides this (I just recently (july 20)
    > finally had the i.s.p. server declare utf-8 after being aware of the problem
    > for four years). Should I change the iso-8859-1 in the labels.xml document
    > to UTF-8? Does case matter? should it be UTF-8 or utf-8 for an xml document.
    > Do xml documents have doctypes? what should this one be? I am using it as
    > supplied by the folks at ICRA back in January 2006.

    At your "url" I get stuff like this:

    2006-1-11 http://www.icra.org/rdfs/vocabularyv03#
    thebicyclingguitarist.net ss.webring.com
    thebicyclingguitarist\.net/songs/longhair\.htm$
    thebicyclingguitarist\.net/songs/99point\.htm
    thebicyclingguitarist\.net/friends/die-ary\.htm
    thebicyclingguitarist\.net/songs/redbaron\.htm
    thebicyclingguitarist\.net/songs/history\.htm
    thebicyclingguitarist\.net/songs/didihear\.htm
    thebicyclingguitarist\.net/songs/domestic\.htm
    thebicyclingguitarist\.net/songs/scotty\.htm
    thebicyclingguitarist\.net/songs/spankthe\.htm
    thebicyclingguitarist\.net/songs/marylou\.htm
    thebicyclingguitarist\.net/songs/legalize\.htm Label for all/most
    of website 1 1 1 1 1 1 No nudity; No sexual material; No
    violence; No potentially offensive languag...

    What are you doing? Post a url with all the bells and whistles
    http:// etc and test it beforehand.

    In the source code is this sort of thing:

    <rdf:RDF
    xmlns:dcterms="http://purl.org/dc/terms/"
    xmlns:label="http://www.w3.org/2004/12/q/contentlabel#"
    xmlns:icra="http://www.icra.org/rdfs/vocabularyv03#">

    <rdf:Description rdf:about="">
    <dc:creator rdf:resource="http://www.icra.org" />
    <dcterms:issued>2006-1-11</dcterms:issued>

    <label:authorityFor>http://www.icra.org/rdfs/vocabularyv03#</label
    :authorityFor>
    </rdf:Description>

    <label:Ruleset>
    <label:hasHostRestrictions>
    <label:Hosts>
    <label:hostRestriction>thebicycl

    on and on. This is not any usual HTML writing practice?

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Jul 27, 2007
  5. "The Bicycling Guitarist" <> writes:

    > The htmlhelp online validator used to just check this xml file for
    > "well-formedness" if I remember rightly. However, now it says that with no
    > doctype declared it is assuming html 4.01 transitional and error after error
    > is reported.
    >
    > How do I fix this? the page is at www.TheBicyclingGuitarist.net/labels.xml
    > It's been unchanged since January 2006. It's the VALIDATOR that has changed
    > how it regards this file. What should I do, please?

    Serve it with the correct MIME type. Right now, it's being served as:

    Basically, the validator is treating the document as HTML because that's
    what your server is saying it is.

    sherm--

    Sherm Pendley, Jul 27, 2007
  6. The Bicycling Guitarist

    asdf Guest

    "dorayme" <> wrote in message
    > In article <bZeqi.291$>,
    > "The Bicycling Guitarist" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> The htmlhelp online validator used to just check this xml file for
    >> "well-formedness" if I remember rightly. However, now it says that with
    >> no
    >> doctype declared it is assuming html 4.01 transitional and error after
    >> error
    >> is reported.
    >>
    >> How do I fix this? the page is at
    >> www.TheBicyclingGuitarist.net/labels.xml
    >> It's been unchanged since January 2006. It's the VALIDATOR that has
    >> changed
    >> how it regards this file. What should I do, please?

    > Stop kidding. That's my job around here.
    >
    > --
    > dorayme

    He's not kidding, the W3C Validator DOES change.

    asdf, Jul 27, 2007
  7. The Bicycling Guitarist

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <46a9a21d$0$31411$>,
    "asdf" <> wrote:

    > "dorayme"
    > >>
    > >> How do I fix this? the page is at
    > >> www.TheBicyclingGuitarist.net/labels.xml
    > >> It's been unchanged since January 2006. It's the VALIDATOR that has
    > >> changed
    > >> how it regards this file. What should I do, please?

    > > Stop kidding. That's my job around here.
    > >
    > > --
    > > dorayme

    > He's not kidding, the W3C Validator DOES change.

    Yes, I gather that... it's all mumbo jumbo to me. I _do_ like the
    idea of a bicycling guitarist though...

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Jul 27, 2007
  8. dorayme <> writes:

    > I _do_ like the idea of a bicycling guitarist though...

    I have to admit, it sounds like a neat idea. But, I prefer my guitars
    amplified and distorted - that's quite a bit of gear to lug around on
    a bike.

    sherm--

    Sherm Pendley, Jul 27, 2007
  9. The Bicycling Guitarist

    John Hosking Guest

    The Bicycling Guitarist wrote:
    > "dorayme" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <bZeqi.291$>,
    >> "The Bicycling Guitarist" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> The htmlhelp online validator

    I guess you mean WDG's validator at http://htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/

    [now reports problems]

    >>> How do I fix this? the page is at
    >>> www.TheBicyclingGuitarist.net/labels.xml
    >>> It's been unchanged since January 2006. It's the VALIDATOR that has
    >>> changed how it regards this file.

    I've used this validator only about three times in my life, and never
    with an XML file, so I can't confirm or deny any changes. But look at
    http://htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/changelog.html.en , which is, well,
    a list of changes made to the validator.

    >> Stop kidding. That's my job around here.

    [dorayme's valid sig separator snipped by me (John), because OE doesn't
    do it automatically and you (Chris) missed it when you manually (and
    quite appropriately) trimmed his sig]

    > I'm not kidding. The htmlhelp validator for whatever reason isn't treating
    > this page the way it did last week and for the past year and a half. I
    > routinely check 100 pages at a time with that validator, and until now it
    > always passed.
    > The w3.org validator passes this page, but

    That's presumably when you pretend it's HTML, which it's not. W3C's
    validator then only checks the XML syntax, so you get (kind of) lucky.

    > says there is a character
    > encoding mismatch because the page has a meta tag specifying iso-8859-1 and
    > my server is sending utf-8 that overrides this (I just recently (july 20)
    > finally had the i.s.p. server declare utf-8 after being aware of the problem
    > for four years).

    If this is supposed to be a feed, you can validate it via
    http://validator.w3.org/feed/check.cgi?url=http://www.thebicyclingguitarist.net/labels.xml

    --
    John

    John Hosking, Jul 27, 2007
  10. "Sherm Pendley" <> wrote in message
    > dorayme <> writes:
    >
    >> I _do_ like the idea of a bicycling guitarist though...

    > I have to admit, it sounds like a neat idea. But, I prefer my guitars
    > amplified and distorted - that's quite a bit of gear to lug around on
    > a bike.
    >
    > sherm--

    Pignose battery-powered amplifier on the back rack over the rear
    wheel...instrument cable to the guitar...I like the Pignose better than the
    smaller 9-V battery-powered Fender amp I used to use, because the Pignose
    sounds good clean or distorted while the tiny little speaker of the Fender
    amp is distorted all the time because of its size.

    The Bicycling Guitarist, Jul 27, 2007
  11. "Sherm Pendley" <> wrote in message
    > "The Bicycling Guitarist" <> writes:
    >
    >> The htmlhelp online validator used to just check this xml file for
    >> "well-formedness" if I remember rightly. However, now it says that with
    >> no
    >> doctype declared it is assuming html 4.01 transitional and error after
    >> error
    >> is reported.

    > Serve it with the correct MIME type. Right now, it's being served as:

    > Basically, the validator is treating the document as HTML because that's
    > what your server is saying it is.

    Thank you Sherm, I think I see now. It isn't the validator that has changed;
    I just recently changed (had the tech support person change) what the server
    declares.

    But this file is being used as it was given to me, generated by ICRA. I
    didn't write it and it isn't meant to be HTML. I do see that I might have
    posted off-topic to this newsgroup

    The Bicycling Guitarist, Jul 27, 2007
  12. "The Bicycling Guitarist" <> wrote in message
    > The htmlhelp online validator used to just check this xml file for How do
    > I fix this? the page is at www.TheBicyclingGuitarist.net/labels.xml It's
    > been unchanged since January 2006. It's the VALIDATOR that has changed how
    > it regards this file. What should I do, please?

    I will redo the file using the ICRA label generator and see if that fixes
    the problem.

    Does one need a different server header for individual pages that are not
    html, i.e., xml files? Everything on my site is apparently being sent as
    html even if it isn't html.

    Thanks

    The Bicycling Guitarist, Jul 27, 2007
  13. "The Bicycling Guitarist" <> writes:

    > "Sherm Pendley" <> wrote in message
    >> dorayme <> writes:
    >>
    >>> I _do_ like the idea of a bicycling guitarist though...

    >> I have to admit, it sounds like a neat idea. But, I prefer my guitars
    >> amplified and distorted - that's quite a bit of gear to lug around on
    >> a bike.

    > Pignose battery-powered amplifier on the back rack over the rear
    > wheel...instrument cable to the guitar...I like the Pignose better than the
    > smaller 9-V battery-powered Fender amp I used to use, because the Pignose
    > sounds good clean or distorted while the tiny little speaker of the Fender
    > amp is distorted all the time because of its size.

    When I say amplified, I mean AMPLIFIED. Nothing less than a full stack of
    two 4x12 cabs and a 100+ watt Marshall amp will do. :)

    sherm--

    Sherm Pendley, Jul 27, 2007
  14. "Sherm Pendley" <> wrote in message
    > "The Bicycling Guitarist" <> writes:
    >
    >> "Sherm Pendley" <> wrote in message
    >>> dorayme <> >> Pignose battery-powered
    >>> amplifier on the back rack over the rear

    >> wheel...instrument cable to the guitar...I like the Pignose better than
    >> the amp is distorted all the time because of its size.

    > When I say amplified, I mean AMPLIFIED. Nothing less than a full stack of
    > two 4x12 cabs and a 100+ watt Marshall amp will do. :)

    Well, I *could* run wireless and ride in circles around a Marshall stack. As
    long as the stack is in line of sight, it would work.

    The Bicycling Guitarist, Jul 27, 2007
  15. "The Bicycling Guitarist" <> writes:

    > "Sherm Pendley" <> wrote in message
    >> "The Bicycling Guitarist" <> writes:
    >>
    >>> The htmlhelp online validator used to just check this xml file for
    >>> "well-formedness" if I remember rightly. However, now it says that with
    >>> no
    >>> doctype declared it is assuming html 4.01 transitional and error after
    >>> error
    >>> is reported.

    >> Serve it with the correct MIME type. Right now, it's being served as:

    >> Basically, the validator is treating the document as HTML because that's
    >> what your server is saying it is.

    > Thank you Sherm, I think I see now. It isn't the validator that has changed;
    > I just recently changed (had the tech support person change) what the server
    > declares.
    >
    > But this file is being used as it was given to me, generated by ICRA.

    There's probably nothing wrong with the contents of the file itself - What
    you need to do is configure (or have someone configure) your server to
    send the proper MIME type of application/xml for .xml files.

    I noticed when looking at the HTTP headers that the page is being served by
    IIS on Windows; if it were Apache, I could tell you how to do the above. But
    I don't know IIS, so I can't help you there.

    sherm--

    Sherm Pendley, Jul 27, 2007
  16. "The Bicycling Guitarist" <> writes:

    > "The Bicycling Guitarist" <> wrote in message
    >> The htmlhelp online validator used to just check this xml file for How do
    >> I fix this? the page is at www.TheBicyclingGuitarist.net/labels.xml It's
    >> been unchanged since January 2006. It's the VALIDATOR that has changed how
    >> it regards this file. What should I do, please?

    > I will redo the file using the ICRA label generator and see if that fixes
    > the problem.

    It won't. The problem is not the contents of the file, the problem is in
    the HTTP headers your server is sending, more specifically the "Content-type"
    header line.

    > Does one need a different server header for individual pages that are not
    > html, i.e., xml files?

    Yes. Web browsers don't use file extensions to identify file types, they use
    the MIME type listed in the "Content-type:" HTTP header. The generic type for
    XML is application/xml, but some specific XML application types (XHTML, RSS,
    XSLT, etc.) will also have their own specific MIME type.

    > Everything on my site is apparently being sent as
    > html even if it isn't html.

    That's the problem. Your server is telling the validator that the file is
    HTML, so it tries to validate it as HTML.

    sherm--

    Sherm Pendley, Jul 27, 2007
  17. The Bicycling Guitarist

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Sherm Pendley <> wrote:

    > dorayme <> writes:
    >
    > > I _do_ like the idea of a bicycling guitarist though...

    > I have to admit, it sounds like a neat idea. But, I prefer my guitars
    > amplified and distorted - that's quite a bit of gear to lug around on
    > a bike.

    You could build the amplifier circuitry into the bike, the
    pedalling to power a generator and like that. The only plucking I
    ever did on a bike was sticking on cardboard and plastic bits to
    the forks to twang the spokes and make like a motorbike before I
    was allowed to get one...

    Now there is an idea... put in some subsidiary guitar string
    "spokes", the tension of which could be adjusted at the
    handlebars. The Bicycle Guitar. A more unified concept.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Jul 27, 2007
  18. The Bicycling Guitarist

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Sherm Pendley <> wrote:

    > When I say amplified, I mean AMPLIFIED. Nothing less than a full stack of
    > two 4x12 cabs and a 100+ watt Marshall amp will do. :)

    Jesus! Sherm... HEY SHERM... HOW'S YOUR HEARING THESE DAYS?

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Jul 27, 2007
  19. dorayme <> writes:

    > In article <>,
    > Sherm Pendley <> wrote:
    >
    >> When I say amplified, I mean AMPLIFIED. Nothing less than a full stack of
    >> two 4x12 cabs and a 100+ watt Marshall amp will do. :)

    > Jesus! Sherm... HEY SHERM... HOW'S YOUR HEARING THESE DAYS?

    I DON'T WEAR AN EARRING!

    sherm--

    Sherm Pendley, Jul 28, 2007