Lag/delay in text input

rischconsulting

I don't know if this the right place to post this. If there is
another, please let me know.

Every Java App I install on my machine has painfully slow UI response
time for input boxes. The text is there, as I can type and click "OK"
and the text gets processed, but it doesn't actually show up on screen
for 5-15 seconds after typing.

Any ideas on why this would happen? I have the latest JRE installed.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

MR

rischconsulting

Added information - if I click on another window - non-java, the text
input shows what I typed immediately. It's as if it is being held in a
buffer waiting for processing, and the buffer is flushed by time or if
I click on another app. Other computers in my office don't have this
problem.

Knute Johnson

Added information - if I click on another window - non-java, the text
input shows what I typed immediately. It's as if it is being held in a
buffer waiting for processing, and the buffer is flushed by time or if
I click on another app. Other computers in my office don't have this
problem.

Are you using the new JDK 1.5.0_07? I've seen this especially with
checkboxes. Try going back to 1.5.0_06 or using the new 1.6 beta2.

Andrew Thompson

I don't know if this the right place to post this. If there is
another, please let me know.

The people who stick to the original charters
might object. (shrugs) I'm not one of them.
Every Java App I install on my machine has painfully slow UI response
time for input boxes.

The link below is technically not an app(lication),
it is an applet, but it should use the same JVM
your apps. are using (fingers crossed).
<http://www.physci.org/test/resize/fullwndw.html>

This smallish demonstration applet has both a
text field and text area available in a pop-up dialog.
Produce the dialog by selecting 'Editable' from the
drop-down on the upper right.

Do these text elements show the same slow
behaviour as your applications?
The text is there, as I can type and click "OK"
and the text gets processed, but it doesn't actually show up on screen
for 5-15 seconds after typing.

Any ideas on why this would happen?

Methinks they might be 'blocking the EDT', but
the test above should help us determine that.
(There is no process behind that dialog that could
conceivably block Java's Event Dispatch Thread)
..I have the latest JRE installed.

Let's just check we are all on the same page.

What do the application and applet listed here,..
<http://www.physci.org/pc/>
...report for java.version?
(The files you are after are jtest.jnlp & jtest-applet.jnlp)

Andrew T.

rischconsulting

Andrew -

You are dead on:
1. Yes, the applet shows the same results. Note that I need not click
another window - just moving the dialog works.
2. Note that this also happened in my browser frame (just clicking on
the editable)
3. 1.5.0_06 class version 49 for both

Thanks for you input!

MR

rischconsulting

Turns out it was everything Java - even the console. I installed 1.6b2
as suggested, and the problem went away.

Andrew Thompson

Andrew -

You are dead on:
1. Yes, the applet shows the same results. Note that I need not click
another window - just moving the dialog works.

Actually.. that means Knute was dead on.

It obviously was not an EDT problem, as
I first suspected.

Glad my little prog helped confirm it though,
...and (checks next message) glad you got it sorted! :)

Andrew T.