    Thanks in advance for any comments.

    MR

    , Jul 28, 2006

    Added information - if I click on another window - non-java, the text
    input shows what I typed immediately. It's as if it is being held in a
    buffer waiting for processing, and the buffer is flushed by time or if
    I click on another app. Other computers in my office don't have this
    problem.

    wrote:
    > I don't know if this the right place to post this. If there is
    > another, please let me know.
    >
    > Every Java App I install on my machine has painfully slow UI response
    > time for input boxes. The text is there, as I can type and click "OK"
    > and the text gets processed, but it doesn't actually show up on screen
    > for 5-15 seconds after typing.
    >
    > Any ideas on why this would happen? I have the latest JRE installed.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any comments.
    >
    > MR

    , Jul 28, 2006

  3. wrote:
    > Added information - if I click on another window - non-java, the text
    > input shows what I typed immediately. It's as if it is being held in a
    > buffer waiting for processing, and the buffer is flushed by time or if
    > I click on another app. Other computers in my office don't have this
    > problem.
    >
    > wrote:
    >> I don't know if this the right place to post this. If there is
    >> another, please let me know.
    >>
    >> Every Java App I install on my machine has painfully slow UI response
    >> time for input boxes. The text is there, as I can type and click "OK"
    >> and the text gets processed, but it doesn't actually show up on screen
    >> for 5-15 seconds after typing.
    >>
    >> Any ideas on why this would happen? I have the latest JRE installed.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance for any comments.
    >>
    >> MR

    Are you using the new JDK 1.5.0_07? I've seen this especially with
    checkboxes. Try going back to 1.5.0_06 or using the new 1.6 beta2.

    --

    Knute Johnson
    email s/nospam/knute/

    Knute Johnson, Jul 28, 2006
  4. wrote:
    > I don't know if this the right place to post this. If there is
    > another, please let me know.

    The people who stick to the original charters
    might object. (shrugs) I'm not one of them.

    > Every Java App I install on my machine has painfully slow UI response
    > time for input boxes.

    The link below is technically not an app(lication),
    it is an applet, but it should use the same JVM
    your apps. are using (fingers crossed).
    <http://www.physci.org/test/resize/fullwndw.html>

    This smallish demonstration applet has both a
    text field and text area available in a pop-up dialog.
    Produce the dialog by selecting 'Editable' from the
    drop-down on the upper right.

    Do these text elements show the same slow
    behaviour as your applications?

    > The text is there, as I can type and click "OK"
    > and the text gets processed, but it doesn't actually show up on screen
    > for 5-15 seconds after typing.
    >
    > Any ideas on why this would happen?

    Methinks they might be 'blocking the EDT', but
    the test above should help us determine that.
    (There is no process behind that dialog that could
    conceivably block Java's Event Dispatch Thread)

    > ..I have the latest JRE installed.

    Let's just check we are all on the same page.

    What do the application and applet listed here,..
    <http://www.physci.org/pc/>
    ...report for java.version?
    (The files you are after are jtest.jnlp & jtest-applet.jnlp)

    Andrew T.

    Andrew Thompson, Jul 28, 2006

    Andrew -

    You are dead on:
    1. Yes, the applet shows the same results. Note that I need not click
    another window - just moving the dialog works.
    2. Note that this also happened in my browser frame (just clicking on
    the editable)
    3. 1.5.0_06 class version 49 for both

    Thanks for you input!

    MR

    Andrew Thompson wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > I don't know if this the right place to post this. If there is
    > > another, please let me know.

    > The people who stick to the original charters
    > might object. (shrugs) I'm not one of them.
    >
    > > Every Java App I install on my machine has painfully slow UI response
    > > time for input boxes.

    > The link below is technically not an app(lication),
    > it is an applet, but it should use the same JVM
    > your apps. are using (fingers crossed).
    > <http://www.physci.org/test/resize/fullwndw.html>
    >
    > This smallish demonstration applet has both a
    > text field and text area available in a pop-up dialog.
    > Produce the dialog by selecting 'Editable' from the
    > drop-down on the upper right.
    >
    > Do these text elements show the same slow
    > behaviour as your applications?
    >
    > > The text is there, as I can type and click "OK"
    > > and the text gets processed, but it doesn't actually show up on screen
    > > for 5-15 seconds after typing.
    > >
    > > Any ideas on why this would happen?

    > Methinks they might be 'blocking the EDT', but
    > the test above should help us determine that.
    > (There is no process behind that dialog that could
    > conceivably block Java's Event Dispatch Thread)
    >
    > > ..I have the latest JRE installed.

    > Let's just check we are all on the same page.
    >
    > What do the application and applet listed here,..
    > <http://www.physci.org/pc/>
    > ..report for java.version?
    > (The files you are after are jtest.jnlp & jtest-applet.jnlp)
    >
    > Andrew T.

    , Jul 28, 2006

    Turns out it was everything Java - even the console. I installed 1.6b2
    as suggested, and the problem went away.

    wrote:
    > Andrew -
    >
    > You are dead on:
    > 1. Yes, the applet shows the same results. Note that I need not click
    > another window - just moving the dialog works.
    > 2. Note that this also happened in my browser frame (just clicking on
    > the editable)
    > 3. 1.5.0_06 class version 49 for both
    >
    > Thanks for you input!
    >
    > MR
    >

    > Andrew Thompson wrote:
    > > wrote:
    > > > I don't know if this the right place to post this. If there is
    > > > another, please let me know.

    > > The people who stick to the original charters
    > > might object. (shrugs) I'm not one of them.
    > >
    > > > Every Java App I install on my machine has painfully slow UI response
    > > > time for input boxes.

    > > The link below is technically not an app(lication),
    > > it is an applet, but it should use the same JVM
    > > your apps. are using (fingers crossed).
    > > <http://www.physci.org/test/resize/fullwndw.html>
    > >
    > > This smallish demonstration applet has both a
    > > text field and text area available in a pop-up dialog.
    > > Produce the dialog by selecting 'Editable' from the
    > > drop-down on the upper right.
    > >
    > > Do these text elements show the same slow
    > > behaviour as your applications?
    > >
    > > > The text is there, as I can type and click "OK"
    > > > and the text gets processed, but it doesn't actually show up on screen
    > > > for 5-15 seconds after typing.
    > > >
    > > > Any ideas on why this would happen?

    > > Methinks they might be 'blocking the EDT', but
    > > the test above should help us determine that.
    > > (There is no process behind that dialog that could
    > > conceivably block Java's Event Dispatch Thread)
    > >
    > > > ..I have the latest JRE installed.

    > > Let's just check we are all on the same page.
    > >
    > > What do the application and applet listed here,..
    > > <http://www.physci.org/pc/>
    > > ..report for java.version?
    > > (The files you are after are jtest.jnlp & jtest-applet.jnlp)
    > >
    > > Andrew T.

    , Jul 29, 2006
  7. wrote:
    > Andrew -
    >
    > You are dead on:
    > 1. Yes, the applet shows the same results. Note that I need not click
    > another window - just moving the dialog works.

    Actually.. that means Knute was dead on.

    It obviously was not an EDT problem, as
    I first suspected.

    Glad my little prog helped confirm it though,
    ...and (checks next message) glad you got it sorted! :)

    Andrew T.

    Andrew Thompson, Jul 29, 2006