Laman's terms please!

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Lori Cole via .NET 247, Aug 29, 2004.

  1. (Type your message here)

    --------------------------------
    From: Lori Cole
    I am having the same proble, but I am not the computer guru! Iam somewhat computer literate and can do more than usual people.I just need a more simplier explaination for the below. Oranother idea to fix the problem of... 500 Unauthorized relay msgrejected

    this was the suggetstion....
    My second suggestion is to forgo CDO altogether. There is a greatopen
    source .NET mail component called OpenSmtp on sourceforge.net. Wedid have
    to change HELO to EHLO on one of our projects to get mailrelaying outside
    the domain (more a network admin power play than anything else).This was a
    simple matter of finding the line in source that has HELO andchanging to
    EHLO. Everything worked great after that.

    OpenSmtp allows you to set up authentication rather easily. Bestto have the
    network admins create an account for sending email that isrestricted from
    doing other things in the domain as it reduces any potentialsecurity risk.
    You will need them to help set up the proper relay for your SMTPservice to
    Exchange (et al), if you are relaying in this manner, so they canbe a great
    resource for you.

    -----------------------

    <Id>2z/0cdmjCUK4M1z7bgVUGQ==</Id>

    Lori Cole via .NET 247, Aug 29, 2004

  2. Lori Cole via .NET 247

    bruce barker Guest

    to send internet mail, you client code needs to start a dialog with a mail
    server, a SMTP server. .net's System.Web.Mail library uses the win2000 CDO
    client library to talk to a SMTP server. sending mail thru a SMTP server is
    called relaying, because the SMTP just sends the mail to another SMTP server
    closer to the destination.

    In the old days, you just had to know the servers name, and send the message
    over tcp/ip. In todays worlkd of spam, they have gotten a lot fussier. Most
    use some sort of Authentication protocol. Some may even change the SMTP
    protocol (changing the HELO command to EHLO), changing port number,
    restricting to known ipaddresses, etc, in order to make unauthorized use
    harder.

    what to do:

    1) you need to find out the details of the smtp server you are going to use:

    ipaddess
    port number
    authenication scheme, authenication parmeters (user / password,
    certificate, whatever they want)
    any change in smtp protocol.
    any other restrictions

    2) you need to find client code that supports the smtp server you are using.
    the .net built in smtp mail client does not support authenication. you can
    call the CDO com object library directly which will allow adding
    authenication headers for some SMTP servers (ones that support basic)

    3) configure the client code to talk to the smtp server. this will depend on
    which client code library you use.

    note: a common trick is to install the iis smtp server (on your web server),
    set it up to relay to the actual smtp server, and send mail to it.

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    "Lori Cole via .NET 247" <> wrote in message
    (Type your message here)

    bruce barker, Oct 28, 2004