    Question: WHAT IS LAMBDA? I can't figure out what it does from any
    documentation i've found anywhere. i doubt i need it but i still want to
    know what the heck it is/does/fixes/whatever!
    e, Feb 9, 2005

  2. Alan McIntyre, Feb 9, 2005

  3. e

    Tim Leslie Guest

    Short answer:

    lambda is a python keyword which allows you to create anonymous
    functions which may be considered a useful thing to have in certain
    cases*.

    Long answer:

    To be provided by someone else who isn't meant to be working right now.

    Tim

    * There is much debate as to just how useful lambda functions are and
    they are likely to be removed from the language in the distant futute
    (python 3)

    Tim Leslie, Feb 9, 2005
  4. e wrote:
    > Question: WHAT IS LAMBDA?

    No need to scream, we here you quite well.

    > I can't figure out what it does from any
    > documentation i've found anywhere.

    Then I doubt you really did search.
    http://www.google.com/search?q=Python + lambda

    > i doubt i need it

    Why ?

    > but i still want to
    > know what the heck it is/does/fixes/whatever!

    lambda is a keyword that is used to create anonymous functions. This is
    pretty handy for simple callbacks.

    --
    bruno desthuilliers
    ruby -e "print ''.split('@').collect{|p|