    I'm writing. What do you think of LAMP as a platform? J2EE?

    Thanks!

    Ross

    Ross M. Greenberg, Dec 12, 2004

  2. Ross M. Greenberg

    Steve Sobol Guest

    Ross M. Greenberg wrote:
    > I'm trying to investigate the pros & cons on LAMP and J2EE for an article
    > I'm writing. What do you think of LAMP as a platform? J2EE?

    I use both. I'm a recent convert to the J2EE way of doing things, and have done
    PHP projects since 1998, but I find both useful.

    Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / 888.480.4NET (4638) /

    Steve Sobol, Dec 12, 2004

  3. I'm considering starting off discussing LAMP and its interpretive nature as
    opposed to J2EE's compiled nature.........

    Ross M. Greenberg, Dec 13, 2004
  4. Ross M. Greenberg

    Steve Sobol Guest

    Ross M. Greenberg wrote:
    > I'm considering starting off discussing LAMP and its interpretive nature as
    > opposed to J2EE's compiled nature.........

    In this case, the P is the only relevant component. I've noticed a big
    difference in resource usage. Yes, PHP is interpreted, but to run anything
    written in Java you have to load the JVM. Performance-wise, they both do well
    on my box (JSP 2.4/JVM 1.4.2 versus PHP 4.3.something-or-other running on
    Apache 1.3.27. I plan on finally upgrading to Apache 2 soon, don't know how
    that'll affect my measurements.)

    Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / 888.480.4NET (4638) /

    Steve Sobol, Dec 13, 2004
  5. Ross M. Greenberg

    fishfry Guest

    In article <>,
    "Ross M. Greenberg" <> wrote:

    > I'm considering starting off discussing LAMP and its interpretive nature as
    > opposed to J2EE's compiled nature.........

    Sometimes the P is interpreted as Perl, in which case one can run
    mod_perl. With mode_perl, Perl interpreter runs inside the Apache
    webserver. Everything runs inside a single process, just as servlets
    execute in a JVM in a servlet container.

    It's not properly a language issue to compare a containered environment
    to a CGI environment. One could in theory write CGI programs in Java, in
    which each HTTP request would cause the webserver to spawn a new JVM.
    Needless to say this wouldn't perform very well.

    fishfry, Dec 24, 2004
  6. Ross M. Greenberg wrote:
    > I'm trying to investigate the pros & cons on LAMP and J2EE for an

    article
    > I'm writing. What do you think of LAMP as a platform? J2EE?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Ross

    As someone who works with both -- usually J2EE professionally and LAMP
    personally -- I can say they are both extremely capable at what they do
    but are targeted at different areas.

    LAMP is GREAT if you want to get something simple done right now.
    Something one or two people can knock out quickly is much easier with
    LAMP. LAMP however, breaks down when you are talking about large
    complex projects and/or projects where you have large numbers of people
    working on them.

    J2EE is better if you really are building for the future. J2EE is much
    easier to manage as a large task. It takes longer to build, but is much
    easier to scale to a large level and a lot less likely to have
    mindbogglingly bad security holes. No Java program written by anyone
    with have a brain has had a SQL-injection flaw... ever... thank you
    very much phpBB :p. Moreover, J2EE gives you much more flexibiliy in
    extending a large app without much pain. Modifying a large PHP
    application someone else wrote is the definition of PITA.

    I really see both as spawning from ASP in the 1.0/2.0 days. J2EE went
    in the direction of "ASP/COM projects friggin suck when they get large"
    and PHP came from "It takes too much time to put together a simple X in
    PHP". PHP's big advantage is that function list that is 6 miles long
    and it includes database stuff and PDF stuff and file transfers and and
    and in a handful of quick procedures. J2EE gives you solid architecture
    and access to nearly any enterprise system on the market as well as a
    large number of good standards to draw from.

    Robert kebernet Cooper, Dec 24, 2004
  7. Ross M. Greenberg wrote:
    > I'm considering starting off discussing LAMP and its interpretive

    nature as
    > opposed to J2EE's compiled nature.........

    That's really not a valid comparison anymore. Since the Zend stuff went
    into PHP, it is JIT compiled just like Java. Also remember, both of
    these are JIT compiled. While you can use gcj to machine-code compile a
    J2EE app, it is very rarely done.

    Robert kebernet Cooper, Dec 24, 2004