LAMP & J2EE as opposed to LAMP vs J2EE

Ross M. Greenberg

I'm trying to investigate the pros & cons on LAMP and J2EE for an article
I'm writing. What do you think of LAMP as a platform? J2EE?

Thanks!

Ross

Steve Sobol

Ross said:
I'm trying to investigate the pros & cons on LAMP and J2EE for an article
I'm writing. What do you think of LAMP as a platform? J2EE?

I use both. I'm a recent convert to the J2EE way of doing things, and have done
PHP projects since 1998, but I find both useful.

Ross M. Greenberg

I'm considering starting off discussing LAMP and its interpretive nature as
opposed to J2EE's compiled nature.........

Steve Sobol

Ross said:
I'm considering starting off discussing LAMP and its interpretive nature as
opposed to J2EE's compiled nature.........

In this case, the P is the only relevant component. I've noticed a big
difference in resource usage. Yes, PHP is interpreted, but to run anything
written in Java you have to load the JVM. Performance-wise, they both do well
on my box (JSP 2.4/JVM 1.4.2 versus PHP 4.3.something-or-other running on
Apache 1.3.27. I plan on finally upgrading to Apache 2 soon, don't know how
that'll affect my measurements.)

fishfry

Ross M. Greenberg said:
I'm considering starting off discussing LAMP and its interpretive nature as
opposed to J2EE's compiled nature.........

Sometimes the P is interpreted as Perl, in which case one can run
mod_perl. With mode_perl, Perl interpreter runs inside the Apache
webserver. Everything runs inside a single process, just as servlets
execute in a JVM in a servlet container.

It's not properly a language issue to compare a containered environment
to a CGI environment. One could in theory write CGI programs in Java, in
which each HTTP request would cause the webserver to spawn a new JVM.
Needless to say this wouldn't perform very well.

Robert kebernet Cooper

Ross said:
I'm trying to investigate the pros & cons on LAMP and J2EE for an article
I'm writing. What do you think of LAMP as a platform? J2EE?

Thanks!

Ross

As someone who works with both -- usually J2EE professionally and LAMP
personally -- I can say they are both extremely capable at what they do
but are targeted at different areas.

LAMP is GREAT if you want to get something simple done right now.
Something one or two people can knock out quickly is much easier with
LAMP. LAMP however, breaks down when you are talking about large
complex projects and/or projects where you have large numbers of people
working on them.

J2EE is better if you really are building for the future. J2EE is much
easier to manage as a large task. It takes longer to build, but is much
easier to scale to a large level and a lot less likely to have
mindbogglingly bad security holes. No Java program written by anyone
with have a brain has had a SQL-injection flaw... ever... thank you
very much phpBB :p. Moreover, J2EE gives you much more flexibiliy in
extending a large app without much pain. Modifying a large PHP
application someone else wrote is the definition of PITA.

I really see both as spawning from ASP in the 1.0/2.0 days. J2EE went
in the direction of "ASP/COM projects friggin suck when they get large"
and PHP came from "It takes too much time to put together a simple X in
PHP". PHP's big advantage is that function list that is 6 miles long
and it includes database stuff and PDF stuff and file transfers and and
and in a handful of quick procedures. J2EE gives you solid architecture
and access to nearly any enterprise system on the market as well as a
large number of good standards to draw from.

Robert kebernet Cooper

Ross said:
I'm considering starting off discussing LAMP and its interpretive nature as
opposed to J2EE's compiled nature.........

That's really not a valid comparison anymore. Since the Zend stuff went
into PHP, it is JIT compiled just like Java. Also remember, both of
these are JIT compiled. While you can use gcj to machine-code compile a
J2EE app, it is very rarely done.