lang and font size

Discussion in 'HTML' started by emf, Apr 4, 2013.

  1. emf

    emf Guest

    In the css of the same webpage I referred to in the previous post,

    https://files.nyu.edu/emf202/public/fr/limericks.html

    I specify

    font-family: "Lucida Sans Unicode", "Lucida Grande", sans-serif;

    When, however, instead of

    I specify:

    the font is rendered different in size. I would think that in both cases
    the font should appear exactly the same. What is going on?

    In case it is significant. I am using Firefox 20.

    Thanks,

    emf

    --
    Canto General
    A folk oratorio of Mikis Theodorakis
    emf, Apr 4, 2013

  2. 2013-04-04 9:15, emf wrote:

    > https://files.nyu.edu/emf202/public/fr/limericks.html
    >
    > I specify
    >
    > font-family: "Lucida Sans Unicode", "Lucida Grande", sans-serif;
    >
    > When, however, instead of

    > I specify:

    > the font is rendered different in size.

    I cannot reproduce the issue on Firefox 19. Wait... it's now loading
    version 20.0... still the same, the font is still 16px Lucida Sans Unicode.

    The lang attribute is known to affect the default font family in many
    browsers. But not font size, and only the *default* font family, and
    here you have set the font family.

    Now I note that in Firefor 20.0 settings (and probably in earlier
    versions too), you can, in the advanced font settings, set both font
    family and font size for different character repertoires. But now I get
    very confused, since these settings do not seem to have any effect.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Apr 4, 2013

  3. emf

    emf Guest

    On 2013-04-04 03:40 Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
    > 2013-04-04 9:15, emf wrote:
    >
    >> https://files.nyu.edu/emf202/public/fr/limericks.html
    >>
    >> I specify
    >>
    >> font-family: "Lucida Sans Unicode", "Lucida Grande", sans-serif;
    >>
    >> When, however, instead of

    >> I specify:

    >> the font is rendered different in size.

    > I cannot reproduce the issue on Firefox 19. Wait... it's now loading
    > version 20.0... still the same, the font is still 16px Lucida Sans Unicode.
    >
    > The lang attribute is known to affect the default font family in many
    > browsers. But not font size, and only the *default* font family, and
    > here you have set the font family.
    >
    > Now I note that in Firefor 20.0 settings (and probably in earlier
    > versions too), you can, in the advanced font settings, set both font
    > family and font size for different character repertoires. But now I get
    > very confused, since these settings do not seem to have any effect.

    Hmmm... I had to be more careful with my observations. I had a look at
    the top of the page, especially the title, and did not care to look
    further. So now I have to correct what I wrote:

    In the <p> the font renders the same in both cases.

    The problem is with the <h1>, <h2>, and <h3> tags that are rendered
    smaller; these I have specified as xx-large and medium. And it only
    happens in FF, not in IE.

    It may be some setting only in my browser, but since I am not sure, I
    specified the font-size as 200% and 100%, and the problem was solved.

    Thanks,

    emf

    --
    It ain't THAT, babe! - A radical reinterpretation
    https://files.nyu.edu/emf202/public/bd/itaintmebabe.html
    emf, Apr 5, 2013
  4. On Friday, April 5, 2013 11:23:50 AM UTC+2, emf wrote:
    > The problem is with the <h1>, <h2>, and <h3> tags that are rendered
    > smaller;

    I tried it with FF (19 and 20 ^^) and can't see any diffenrences.
    Sometimes FF plays mad. e.g. ColorZilla can't be installed or on one machine it presents a page different than on five others.
    Jan Clemens Faerber, Apr 5, 2013
  5. emf

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Jan Clemens Faerber <> wrote:

    > On Friday, April 5, 2013 11:23:50 AM UTC+2, emf wrote:
    > > The problem is with the <h1>, <h2>, and <h3> tags that are rendered
    > > smaller;

    > I tried it with FF (19 and 20 ^^) and can't see any diffenrences.

    I tried it on a Mac FF19 with a simple ordinary English sentence in a
    P, once with the OP's lang attribute in the HTML tag, and once
    without. The one with the attribute caused the text to display
    differently in respect to length of line and visible line height, so I
    suspected larger font. This is as read from online. But after a few
    refreshes, it ceased to make any of this difference. FF is a bit
    buggy. I updated to FF20 and by then the difference was not showing.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Apr 5, 2013
  6. emf

    emf Guest

    On 2013-04-05 17:27 dorayme wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Jan Clemens Faerber <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Friday, April 5, 2013 11:23:50 AM UTC+2, emf wrote:
    >>> The problem is with the <h1>, <h2>, and <h3> tags that are rendered
    >>> smaller;

    >> I tried it with FF (19 and 20 ^^) and can't see any diffenrences.

    > I tried it on a Mac FF19 with a simple ordinary English sentence in a
    > P, once with the OP's lang attribute in the HTML tag, and once
    > without. The one with the attribute caused the text to display
    > differently in respect to length of line and visible line height, so I
    > suspected larger font. This is as read from online. But after a few
    > refreshes, it ceased to make any of this difference. FF is a bit
    > buggy. I updated to FF20 and by then the difference was not showing.

    I posted the issue in the Firefox newsgroup, providing 2 webpages with
    identical code except for the lang:

    https://files.nyu.edu/emf202/public/temp/FontSizeEL.html
    https://files.nyu.edu/emf202/public/temp/FontSizeEN.html

    and I got this reply:

    > I was seeing a size shift unill I set the Min Size of Greek the same
    > as Western. With both at 14 the resizing stopped.

    I hadn't payed attention to the fact that I could specify different font
    sizes for different languages (Options > Content > Fonts and Colors >
    Advanced ) - it makes sense. In my case, I had chosen different sizes
    for proportional fonts for Greek and Western.

    Ths discrepancy was solved, however my conclusion still is that I should
    prefer to use % font sizes in css in my Greek pages if I want all the
    users to see the same webpage.

    emf

    emf, Apr 6, 2013
  7. emf

    dorayme Guest

    In article <kjnrvp$kbe$>, emf <>
    wrote:

    > On 2013-04-05 17:27 dorayme wrote:
    > > In article <>,
    > > Jan Clemens Faerber <> wrote:

    > >> I tried it with FF (19 and 20 ^^) and can't see any diffenrences.

    > > I tried it on a Mac FF19 with a simple ordinary English sentence in a
    > > P, once with the OP's lang attribute in the HTML tag, and once
    > > without. The one with the attribute caused the text to display
    > > differently in respect to length of line and visible line height, so I
    > > suspected larger font. This is as read from online. But after a few
    > > refreshes, it ceased to make any of this difference. FF is a bit
    > > buggy. I updated to FF20 and by then the difference was not showing.

    > I posted the issue in the Firefox newsgroup, providing 2 webpages with
    > identical code except for the lang:
    >
    > https://files.nyu.edu/emf202/public/temp/FontSizeEL.html
    > https://files.nyu.edu/emf202/public/temp/FontSizeEN.html
    >
    > and I got this reply:
    >
    > > I was seeing a size shift unill I set the Min Size of Greek the same
    > > as Western. With both at 14 the resizing stopped.

    > I hadn't payed attention to the fact that I could specify different font
    > sizes for different languages (Options > Content > Fonts and Colors >
    > Advanced ) - it makes sense. In my case, I had chosen different sizes
    > for proportional fonts for Greek and Western.
    >
    > Ths discrepancy was solved, however my conclusion still is that I should
    > prefer to use % font sizes in css in my Greek pages if I want all the
    > users to see the same webpage.

    Of the two urls you posted, the "xx-small" differed in size, causing a
    slight shift in the placing of the others, the latter characters on
    each line being the same size text on both pages.

    About wanting everyone to see the same page, they will, "same" is a
    relative concept and not to be interpreted too narrowly in web design.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Apr 6, 2013