    Or should I do this in a different way?

    Thanks very much indeed.

    John

    John Larronn, Feb 17, 2009

  2. John Larronn wrote:

    > The first page is written in Dutch, the second page in English and
    > the third page in both Dutch and English.
    >
    > Do I have to write at top of the first page lang=NL, on top of the
    > second page lang=EN-GB, and on the third page both lang=NL and
    > lang=EN-GB?

    For most purposes, it really doesn't matter. Browsers generally ignore the
    lang attribute, and search engines care even less - partly because lang
    markup is so often plain wrong (e.g., lang="en" sput out by clueless
    authoring software irrespectively of the language actually used).

    You can only have one lang attribute per element, so if you want to use
    language markup for the bilingual page, use <html lang="..."> according to
    the main language and use lang="..." for any element in the other language.

    Using lang="en" is usually better than lang="en-GB", since the few programs
    that recognize language markup might understand the simpler form only. And
    how often would it really matter to software which version of English you
    are using?

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Feb 17, 2009

  3. John Larronn

    John Larronn Guest

    "Jukka K. Korpela" <> wrote in message
    > John Larronn wrote:
    >
    >> The first page is written in Dutch, the second page in English and
    >> the third page in both Dutch and English.
    >>
    >> Do I have to write at top of the first page lang=NL, on top of the
    >> second page lang=EN-GB, and on the third page both lang=NL and
    >> lang=EN-GB?

    > For most purposes, it really doesn't matter. Browsers generally ignore the
    > lang attribute, and search engines care even less - partly because lang
    > markup is so often plain wrong (e.g., lang="en" sput out by clueless
    > authoring software irrespectively of the language actually used).
    >
    > You can only have one lang attribute per element, so if you want to use
    > language markup for the bilingual page, use <html lang="..."> according to
    > the main language and use lang="..." for any element in the other
    > language.
    >
    > Using lang="en" is usually better than lang="en-GB", since the few
    > programs that recognize language markup might understand the simpler form
    > only. And how often would it really matter to software which version of
    > English you are using?

    Thanks very much for your quick reply, Yucca.!

    A nice website you have got. I have put it in My Favourites.

    Bye,

    John

    John Larronn, Feb 18, 2009