laptop as a stopwatch with an external switch

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by Ron, Jul 9, 2006.

  1. Ron

    Ron Guest

    -This could be considered off-topic by some-

    I'd like to set up some type of timing system for the individual
    players on my soccer team to measure themselves when they are doing
    sprints (5 - 10 secs with tenth of second accuracy).

    Some type of button/switch/beam that the kid's feet would start the
    timer with and something similar at the finish to stop the timer that
    would be good. It would need to be combined with software that would
    display the elasped time as well as save/log it to view later.

    My goal would be for the "system" to be easy for me to put together for
    a reasonable cost. Something off the shelf would be ideal, or if there
    is some idea that wouldn't be hard to assemble, that would work also.
    I don't have any great programming skills.

    thanks,
    Ron
    RGRAHAM1 at MAINE dot RR dot COM

    Ron, Jul 9, 2006

  2. Ron posted:

    www.rentacoder.com

    --

    Frederick Gotham

    Frederick Gotham, Jul 9, 2006

  3. Ron said:

    <snip>

    > I don't have any great programming skills.

    Get some.

    --
    Richard Heathfield
    "Usenet is a strange place" - dmr 29/7/1999

    Richard Heathfield, Jul 9, 2006
  4. Ron

    Skarmander Guest

    Ron wrote:
    > -This could be considered off-topic by some-
    >
    > I'd like to set up some type of timing system for the individual
    > players on my soccer team to measure themselves when they are doing
    > sprints (5 - 10 secs with tenth of second accuracy).
    >
    > Some type of button/switch/beam that the kid's feet would start the
    > timer with and something similar at the finish to stop the timer that
    > would be good. It would need to be combined with software that would
    > display the elasped time as well as save/log it to view later.
    >
    > My goal would be for the "system" to be easy for me to put together for
    > a reasonable cost. Something off the shelf would be ideal, or if there
    > is some idea that wouldn't be hard to assemble, that would work also.
    > I don't have any great programming skills.

    You're right, this *is* completely off-topic. You're very unlikely to get a
    useful response from a group dedicated to the C programming language when
    your question does not involve C at all.

    Eventually you might write a C program to handle the measurements, but
    you're a long way from that.

    Try Google. A search for "sports timing hardware" looks promising.

    S.

    Skarmander, Jul 9, 2006