Large Blank Space on the Screen

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by =?Utf-8?B?QW1pcg==?=, Nov 10, 2005.

  1. I really hope someone can explain this behavior. I have spend quite a bit of
    time and tried a bunch of things, so far nothing has worked.

    I have a page on which I have a datagrid with template columns. I
    perform regular expression validations in the EditItemTemplate for the
    fields that require such validation. The datagrid is inside a div tag
    to make it scrollable. I have implemented the solution to freeze header
    for this grid - the approach I followed accesses the <th> tag exposed
    by Datagrid when it is rendered (using UseAccessibleHeader attribute).

    Also, there are columns in the screen that show buttons. When users click on
    those buttons, they see popups to enter information. Once they enter the
    information (which can span multiple lines) and close a popup, the
    inforamation from the popup is displayed in a cell/column (next to the button
    user clicked) inside the datagrid.

    So here is my problem. When the page loads the first time, this is what
    users see:

    [page header]
    [a few textboxes with validations - serve as the global information for
    the grid]
    [a few buttons]
    [Datagrid inside div tag]
    [a few buttons]
    [page footer]

    When users enter the edit mode and trigger a regular expression validation
    in any cell OR when they enter information in the popup that spans multiple
    lines, this
    is what users see:

    [page header]
    [a few textboxes with validations - serve as the global information for
    the grid]
    [a few buttons]
    [A LARGE BLANK SPACE]
    [Datagrid inside div tag]
    [a few buttons]
    [page footer]

    So the datagrid basically shifts downward. When there is a lot of data
    in the datagrid, one has to scroll down on the page to find the
    datagrid because the blank space is so large.

    When I look at the source of the page, I do not see anything there that
    would explain this blank space. I have compared the source files both before
    and after the validation, the files are identical. There appears to be
    nothing in the source that would explain this large space.

    Users run it on IE 6.

    If anyone has seen this problem, can explain why this may be happening,
    or can suggest a solution, please help!

    Regards,

    Amir

    =?Utf-8?B?QW1pcg==?=, Nov 10, 2005

  2. Not sure this is much help, but try installing this, to help identify what
    that white space is :

    Internet Explorer Developer Toolbar
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...64-672D-4511-BB3E-2D5E1DB91038&displaylang=en

    Tim Cartwright, Nov 10, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?QW1pcg==?=

    Guest

    Tim Cartwright wrote:
> [...]
    > > the grid]
    > > [a few buttons]
    > > [A LARGE BLANK SPACE]
    > > [Datagrid inside div tag]
    > > [a few buttons]
    > > [page footer]
    > >

    > > So the datagrid basically shifts downward. When there is a lot of data
    > > in the datagrid, one has to scroll down on the page to find the
    > > datagrid because the blank space is so large.
    > >

    > > When I look at the source of the page, I do not see anything there that
    > > would explain this blank space. I have compared the source files both
    > > before
    > > and after the validation, the files are identical. There appears to be
    > > nothing in the source that would explain this large space.
    > >
    > > Users run it on IE 6.
    > >

    > > If anyone has seen this problem, can explain why this may be happening,

    Hi , if you use horizontalalign in the datagrid attributes then try to
    remove it.

    , Nov 22, 2005