large data transfers

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Brian Barnes, Jun 3, 2004.

  1. Brian Barnes

    Brian Barnes Guest

    Hi,
    Basically I have been asked to syncronise (well more of a backup as I
    understand it) a Microsoft Access Database to a SQL Server Database via an
    internet web service. Currently the issues that I am facing are:

    - Security. This is essential as we can't have joe blogs altering someone
    elses data or otherwise. Currently with each request I am sending an
    encripted string which contains the username and password (so for the most
    part this can be considered solved although improvements are welcome).

    - Privacy. As the data being transfered is of a personal nature it must be
    encrypted. Again I have a simple encryption algorithm that I can put it
    through (I know how to write more complex ones - they will be along later).

    - Large data being both uploaded and downloaded. I'm not so concerned about
    the data downloaded (after all - 650mb for a CD ISO isn't that much of a
    problem to download) but as the data to be uploaded could also be large (in
    short I'm looking at uploading XML Data) I have concerns (currently I'm
    looking at uploading it via a query string - see below for reason).

    The program that will be accessing the web service is written in VB6 (and
    therefore wont have the ease that VB.NET has to accessing the web service)
    while the webservice is being written in VB.NET.

    Personally I don't think project will be very successful because of the
    amount of data that I'm expecting to deal with (and the fact that most of
    the data will be transfered from 56k modems)

    tia for any suggestions in how I can improve this.

    --
    Brian Barnes
    No Spam Proof e-mail
    Brian Barnes, Jun 3, 2004