large data transfers

Brian Barnes

Hi,
Basically I have been asked to syncronise (well more of a backup as I
understand it) a Microsoft Access Database to a SQL Server Database via an
internet web service. Currently the issues that I am facing are:

- Security. This is essential as we can't have joe blogs altering someone
elses data or otherwise. Currently with each request I am sending an
encripted string which contains the username and password (so for the most
part this can be considered solved although improvements are welcome).

- Privacy. As the data being transfered is of a personal nature it must be
encrypted. Again I have a simple encryption algorithm that I can put it
through (I know how to write more complex ones - they will be along later).

- Large data being both uploaded and downloaded. I'm not so concerned about
the data downloaded (after all - 650mb for a CD ISO isn't that much of a
problem to download) but as the data to be uploaded could also be large (in
short I'm looking at uploading XML Data) I have concerns (currently I'm
looking at uploading it via a query string - see below for reason).

The program that will be accessing the web service is written in VB6 (and
therefore wont have the ease that VB.NET has to accessing the web service)
while the webservice is being written in VB.NET.

Personally I don't think project will be very successful because of the
amount of data that I'm expecting to deal with (and the fact that most of
the data will be transfered from 56k modems)

tia for any suggestions in how I can improve this.