Large file transfers - socket basesd solution or remoting?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by MJB, May 9, 2005.

  1. MJB

    MJB Guest

    After reading all of the pros and cons of a socket-based solutions and
    remoting solutions I still can't decide what the most appropriate
    solution is here’s rundown.

    I am trying to develop a file transfer architecture that will use a
    central sever that will post a web service that will provide all
    subscribing clients a directory/manifest to all other compatible clients
    on the network. If a direct-connection can be established between two
    clients I want them to be able to do a peer-to-peer high-speed file
    transfer. If a direct connection is not available I want to send the
    file down to the central server and have the other client either pull it
    or have the server push it.

    I would like to be able to resume file transfers. I would like to be
    able to control how much bandwidth is used and know the current progress
    of a transfer. I also need to be able to transport data to clients
    behind NAT and firewalls etc. Finally, security and reliability is a
    concern.

    If anyone has had any experience with this and would like to share that
    would be great.

    I would like to roll my own solution to this problem, but I am not
    completely closed minded to using 3rd party solutions such as Genuine
    Channels or the like.

    TIA,
    Matt
    MJB, May 9, 2005

  2. MJB <> wrote in news::
    > If anyone has had any experience with this and would like to share that
    > would be great.

    HTTP allows both downloads and uploads, firewall and proxy traversal.

    Blog: http://blogs.atozed.com/kudzu
    Chad Z. Hower aka Kudzu, May 10, 2005