Large file transfers - socket basesd solution or remoting?

MJB

After reading all of the pros and cons of a socket-based solutions and
remoting solutions I still can't decide what the most appropriate
solution is here’s rundown.

I am trying to develop a file transfer architecture that will use a
central sever that will post a web service that will provide all
subscribing clients a directory/manifest to all other compatible clients
on the network. If a direct-connection can be established between two
clients I want them to be able to do a peer-to-peer high-speed file
transfer. If a direct connection is not available I want to send the
file down to the central server and have the other client either pull it
or have the server push it.

I would like to be able to resume file transfers. I would like to be
able to control how much bandwidth is used and know the current progress
of a transfer. I also need to be able to transport data to clients
behind NAT and firewalls etc. Finally, security and reliability is a
concern.

If anyone has had any experience with this and would like to share that
would be great.

I would like to roll my own solution to this problem, but I am not
completely closed minded to using 3rd party solutions such as Genuine
Channels or the like.

TIA,
Matt

Chad Z. Hower aka Kudzu

MJB said:
If anyone has had any experience with this and would like to share that
would be great.

HTTP allows both downloads and uploads, firewall and proxy traversal.