    server?
    Thank you he help
    Lad.

    Lad, Dec 12, 2006

  2. Lad wrote:

    > If a user will upload large files via FTP protocol, must the user
    > have an FTP client on his computer or is it possible to use a similar
    > way to "http form" comunication?

    to use any communications protocol (including HTTP), both ends must have
    programs that can talk that protocol...

    </F>

    Fredrik Lundh, Dec 12, 2006

  3. Lad

    Lad Guest

    > to use any communications protocol (including HTTP), both ends must have
    > programs that can talk that protocol...

    Sure, but browsers have FTP support. But how to call the FTP API from
    Python?
    Lad.

    Lad, Dec 13, 2006
  4. Lad kirjoitti:
    >> to use any communications protocol (including HTTP), both ends must have
    >> programs that can talk that protocol...
    >>

    > Sure, but browsers have FTP support. But how to call the FTP API from
    > Python?
    > Lad.

    See Python Library Reference for documentation on 'ftplib -- FTP
    protocol client'. It has an example to get you started.

    HTH,
    Jussi Salmela

    Jussi Salmela, Dec 13, 2006
  5. Lad wrote:

    >> to use any communications protocol (including HTTP), both ends must have
    >> programs that can talk that protocol...
    >>

    > Sure, but browsers have FTP support.

    ftp upload support ?

    > But how to call the FTP API from Python?

    if you want the users to upload things using FTP, why do *you* need
    to call "the FTP API" (whatever that is) from Python ? why not just
    set up a server?

    </F>

    Fredrik Lundh, Dec 13, 2006
  6. Lad wrote:

    > Or is there another way( besides FTP) how to upload large files to
    > server?

    You can upload via http. The primary problem is that the browser don't
    work well with large uploads (give little feedback on the process, IE
    may hang etc). You can workaround some limitations by using applets
    such as JUpload

    http://www.jupload.biz/

    i.

    Istvan Albert, Dec 13, 2006
  7. Lad

    Lad Guest

    Fredrik,
    Thank you for your reply
    I need to upload large files ( about 100MB ).
    HTTP protocol provides FORMs for uploading which is elegant and good
    solution for small files but using HTTP protocol for large files is
    not good ( server's timeouts, big memory consumption on server's
    side, etc.).
    So,I was thinking about FTP protocol, but there may be better solutions
    too.
    (FTP server would be running on server)
    I am sure, it can be done this or that way in Python too. (YouTube.com
    is a good example)
    Do you have any idea how to do that?

    Thank you
    Lad,

    As I mentioned YouTube also uses Python , so I thi

    Lad, Dec 15, 2006
  8. Lad wrote:

    > HTTP protocol provides FORMs for uploading which is elegant and good
    > solution for small files but using HTTP protocol for large files is
    > not good ( server's timeouts, big memory consumption on server's
    > side, etc.).

    only if the server's buffering data in memory, of course. that's not
    necessary; there's nothing in the HTTP protocol that prevents you from
    storing incoming data to disk.

    > So,I was thinking about FTP protocol, but there may be better solutions
    > too.
    > (FTP server would be running on server)
    > I am sure, it can be done this or that way in Python too. (YouTube.com
    > is a good example)

    I still don't get what Python has to do with it -- your users won't
    be using Python, so you need to figure out what uploading tool to use
    before you do anything else.

    > Do you have any idea how to do that?

    this message may provide some ideas:

    http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.django.user/19089