    is a given...

    TIA

    windandwaves, Feb 26, 2007

  2. windandwaves

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    "windandwaves" <> wrote:

    > Hi Folk
    >
    > If you have a large image does it make sense to slice it to make it
    > load faster? If so, what would be the best way?
    >
    > Please dont ask me why to have a large image in the first place - that
    > is a given...
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > > Nicolaas

    The idea of slicing to save is dependent on you preparing the
    different slices differently. In other words, there is no point
    at all simply slicing and having the overhead of a "display"
    table to boot. If you have parts of an image that can be heavily
    compressed without affecting the look you want, and other parts
    not so amenable, there might be an argument if bandwidth is
    really at such a premium and the pic is so large as to warrant
    it. But I'd say not to bother, it is a small k gain at best and
    there are many downfalls, namely getting the bits to render well
    cross browser. The way to do it is usually to use a generator in
    prgms like Fireworks and these work best when there are lots of
    filler clear gifs to pad the table out right! It is not a nice
    road to travel. It is sometimes done where you want to have
    ordinary html text in the midst of it all (which generates
    problems too).

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Feb 26, 2007

  3. windandwaves

    the red dot Guest

    "windandwaves" <> wrote in message
    > Hi Folk
    >
    > If you have a large image does it make sense to slice it to make it
    > load faster? If so, what would be the best way?
    >
    > Please dont ask me why to have a large image in the first place - that
    > is a given...

    it all depends on how you want to use it, what is it for, what is it
    supposed to do?

    the red dot, Feb 26, 2007
  4. windandwaves

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    windandwaves wrote:
    > Hi Folk
    >
    > If you have a large image does it make sense to slice it to make it
    > load faster? If so, what would be the best way?

    Slicing images is almost never a good idea.

    Nik Coughlin, Feb 26, 2007
  5. Scripsit windandwaves:

    > If you have a large image does it make sense to slice it to make it
    > load faster?

    No, just the opposite. It takes more time to transfer the data (due to
    various overhead factors like HTTP transaction) and more time to assemble
    the image. Perhaps worst of all, users may see the image being built from
    slices in some order, possibly in some strange order.

    > Please dont ask me why to have a large image in the first place - that
    > is a given...

    No, we really want to help you with that problem. We ask everything you
    should have asked but didn't dare to. But you must help us to help you by
    posting the URL of your current draft page and explain what you're doing.

    --
    Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Feb 26, 2007
  6. windandwaves

    windandwaves Guest

    On Feb 26, 8:06 pm, "Jukka K. Korpela" <> wrote:
    > Scripsit windandwaves:
    >
    > > If you have a large image does it make sense to slice it to make it
    > > load faster?

    > No, just the opposite. It takes more time to transfer the data (due to
    > various overhead factors like HTTP transaction) and more time to assemble
    > the image. Perhaps worst of all, users may see the image being built from
    > slices in some order, possibly in some strange order.
    >
    > > Please dont ask me why to have a large image in the first place - that
    > > is a given...

    > No, we really want to help you with that problem. We ask everything you
    > should have asked but didn't dare to. But you must help us to help you by
    > posting the URL of your current draft page and explain what you're doing.
    >
    > --
    > Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Hey Guys

    Thank you all for your replies... Much appreciated. I will just
    leave it as one image. I dont have a URL yet, but sliced images are
    definitely dead by the sounds of it.

    windandwaves, Feb 26, 2007
  7. windandwaves

    J.O. Aho Guest

    Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
    > Scripsit windandwaves:
    >
    >> If you have a large image does it make sense to slice it to make it
    >> load faster?

    > No, just the opposite. It takes more time to transfer the data (due to
    > various overhead factors like HTTP transaction) and more time to
    > assemble the image. Perhaps worst of all, users may see the image being
    > built from slices in some order, possibly in some strange order.

    Not to mention that the sliced image takes more space with the image type and
    other extra data. The sliced image takes more hard drive space than the single
    image, specially on file systems with high block size that don't support
    multiple files to use one block.

    --

    //Aho

    J.O. Aho, Feb 26, 2007

  8. >
    > Not to mention that the sliced image takes more space with the image
    > type and other extra data. The sliced image takes more hard drive space
    > than the single image, specially on file systems with high block size
    > that don't support multiple files to use one block.

    which wouldn't be that much of an issue these days as bandwidth seems to
    be more crucial to a webserver than disk space :)

    cheers
    bernhard

    --
    www.daszeichen.ch
    remove nixspam to reply

    Bernhard Sturm, Feb 26, 2007
  9. windandwaves

    J.O. Aho Guest

    Bernhard Sturm wrote:

    >> Not to mention that the sliced image takes more space with the image
    >> type and other extra data. The sliced image takes more hard drive
    >> space than the single image, specially on file systems with high block
    >> size that don't support multiple files to use one block.
    >>

    > which wouldn't be that much of an issue these days as bandwidth seems to
    > be more crucial to a webserver than disk space :)

    With the extra "headers" on the files you use up extra bandwidth.
    Even the servers don't have unlimited disk space, and specially on some
    systems you hit quite fast the upper limit of the file system size, but of
    course the customers don't care about that.

    --

    //Aho

    J.O. Aho, Feb 26, 2007