Large Web Service ... How to Organize?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Spam Catcher, Feb 12, 2008.

  1. Spam Catcher

    Spam Catcher Guest

    Hi all,

    I'm in the process of designing a large web service which will be a remote
    API into our application. There web service will cover ~10 components and
    will have >100 functions.

    Does anyone have any links to some design patterns I can use?

    Should I put all my functions into one ASMX file? Or should I use separate
    ASMX files?

    Should I create a a single function and submit a document for processing?
    Or a DTO? Or create a single function for each action I need?

    These are the type of questions I have... any help would be appreciated.

    Thanks!

    --
    (Do not e-mail)

    Spam Catcher, Feb 12, 2008

  2. Put your business logic into class libraries, which are called by the
    WebMethods in your ASMX codebehind page.
    -- Peter
    Site: http://www.eggheadcafe.com

    Peter Bromberg [C# MVP], Feb 13, 2008

  3. Spam Catcher

    Lars Guest

    Hi

    > Put your business logic into class libraries, which are called by the
    > WebMethods in your ASMX codebehind page.

    Make as little as possible of the code in the js or vb pages for the aspx
    files.

    Make mulit level of the site. For example.

    User interface (This part should generaly only have to deal with design of
    the page not data or text)

    Collect data from the Data interface. (Get the controlls from the UI and
    fill them with data)
    Write the information in plain HTML or XML and let the UI deside how to show
    it.
    | (Database independant information)
    Database Interface (collect the data from the stored procedures)
    | (No SQL commands only calls to Stored Procedures)
    Stored Procedures (within the database)
    | (SQL commands to the database)

    Now when you need to change the apperance of the page only swap the UI.
    If you wan to change the database you only have to replace the lowest two
    layers.

    Lars, Feb 13, 2008
  4. Spam Catcher

    Spam Catcher Guest

    <> wrote in

    > Put your business logic into class libraries, which are called by the
    > WebMethods in your ASMX codebehind page.

    That doesn't really answer my question - so I should have one big ASMX page
    with all my web service functions?

    --
    (Do not e-mail)

    Spam Catcher, Feb 13, 2008
  5. Spam Catcher

    Spam Catcher Guest

    "Lars" <> wrote in

    > Hi
    >
    >> Put your business logic into class libraries, which are called by the
    >> WebMethods in your ASMX codebehind page.

    > Make as little as possible of the code in the js or vb pages for the
    > aspx files.
    >
    > Make mulit level of the site. For example.

    I'm building a web service not a web site ;-)

    --
    (Do not e-mail)

    Spam Catcher, Feb 13, 2008