Large Website design/mangement in VS question

HankD

I have been given the task to upgrade the company's website. It is
large and unorganized right now. There should be a main common area
with subareas for each division (5). My main question is what is the
best way to manage this in visual studio? Should I create one solution
and then 6 projects under it (1 for the main company content and then 1
for each division content) or should I split it up? If I do split it
up how do I reference pages in the other divisions or the main company
area without fully qualifying the paths? The content will be both
applications and static pages.

I know it is a broad question but I can't remember seeing any MS
guidance on how to manage a large site.

Thanks for any help.

Bob Lehmann

know it is a broad question but I can't remember seeing any MS guidance on
how to manage a large site.
Kind of like the way the directions for a circular saw don't include
guidance on how to build a house?

Bob Lehmann

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]

If building a large web site were so easy that we could give you a quick and
conclusive answer here, then I suspect we'd all be out of work soon.
That said, you might look here for some guidance:
http://www.dotnetnuke.com/

KMA

Come on chaps, it's a reasonable enough question, isn't it? Given the brief,
is it better to make one application or split the task into several apps?
The OP has even given a specific problem that he thinks he might encounter,
namely referencing one projects URL from another app. Does anyone know a
clever way to do this? Can a folder in one application be "mapped" to a
common folder?

HankD

I do appreciate your humor but not necessarily your reply. I am simply
looking for some "best practices" not a construction team.