    early stage it appears this massive site will use flash for video
    rather than a Microsoft or Real format. First Real lost many sites to
    Microsoft. Now many huge sites have changed from Microsoft to flash.

    cwdjrxyz, Jun 2, 2007

  2. cwdjrxyz

    rf Guest

    "cwdjrxyz" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > The Encyclopedia of Life is to be a web resource that will describe
    > all 1.8 known living things on earth

    Wow. Only .2 more living things required and we will have a pair :)

    rf, Jun 2, 2007

  3. cwdjrxyz

    cwdjrxyz Guest

    On Jun 2, 12:11 am, "rf" <> wrote:
    > "cwdjrxyz" <> wrote in message

    > > The Encyclopedia of Life is to be a web resource that will describe
    > > all 1.8 known living things on earth

    > Wow. Only .2 more living things required and we will have a pair :)

    A few more - about 1.8 million. :). Some think quite a few more will
    be found, especially in the deep sea, fungus family members, etc.

    cwdjrxyz, Jun 2, 2007
  4. cwdjrxyz

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    cwdjrxyz <> wrote:

    > On Jun 2, 12:11 am, "rf" <> wrote:
    > > "cwdjrxyz" <> wrote in message

    > > > The Encyclopedia of Life is to be a web resource that will describe
    > > > all 1.8 known living things on earth

    > > Wow. Only .2 more living things required and we will have a pair :)

    > A few more - about 1.8 million. :). Some think quite a few more will
    > be found, especially in the deep sea, fungus family members, etc.

    Sounds good. Last time I looked at http://www.eol.org/ I wondered
    yet again how the message that is so cogently given on this
    neswgroup by many knowledgeable people is so muffled to the
    outside world in respect to web authoring, lets start with the
    doc type used! Or is there some plan being formed by the website
    author that requires that particular one at this stage?

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Jun 2, 2007
  5. cwdjrxyz

    rf Guest

    "cwdjrxyz" <> wrote in message
    > On Jun 2, 12:11 am, "rf" <> wrote:
    >> "cwdjrxyz" <> wrote in message

    >> > The Encyclopedia of Life is to be a web resource that will describe
    >> > all 1.8 known living things on earth

    >> Wow. Only .2 more living things required and we will have a pair :)

    > A few more - about 1.8 million. :). Some think quite a few more will
    > be found, especially in the deep sea, fungus family members, etc.

    cwdjrxyz, look at your OP again. Nowhere in there is the word 'million'
    mentioned. You mised the <tongue position="cheek"> bit of my post.

    In any case IIRC 1.8M is rather conservative.

    --
    Richard.

    rf, Jun 2, 2007
  6. cwdjrxyz

    rf Guest

    "dorayme" <> wrote in message

    > Sounds good. Last time I looked at http://www.eol.org/ I wondered
    > yet again how the message that is so cogently given on this
    > neswgroup by many knowledgeable people is so muffled to the
    > outside world in respect to web authoring, lets start with the
    > doc type used! Or is there some plan being formed by the website
    > author that requires that particular one at this stage?

    Horses, water, consumption thereof :)

    --
    Richard.

    rf, Jun 2, 2007
  7. cwdjrxyz

    dorayme Guest

    In article <ig98i.7688$>,
    "rf" <> wrote:

    > cwdjrxyz, look at your OP again. Nowhere in there is the word 'million'
    > mentioned. You mised the <tongue position="cheek"> bit of my post.

    Why do you think he missed your point? He corrected the slight
    omission.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Jun 2, 2007
  8. cwdjrxyz

    dorayme Guest

    ?

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Jun 2, 2007
  9. cwdjrxyz

    rf Guest

    "dorayme" <> wrote in message
    > In article <Xg98i.7689$>,
    > "rf" <> wrote:
    >
    >> "dorayme" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> > Sounds good. Last time I looked at http://www.eol.org/ I wondered
    >> > yet again how the message that is so cogently given on this
    >> > neswgroup by many knowledgeable people is so muffled to the
    >> > outside world in respect to web authoring, lets start with the
    >> > doc type used! Or is there some plan being formed by the website
    >> > author that requires that particular one at this stage?

    >> Horses, water, consumption thereof :)

    > ?

    <sigh>

    You can lead a horse to...

    rf, Jun 2, 2007
  10. cwdjrxyz

    dorayme Guest

    In article <KF98i.7702$>,
    "rf" <> wrote:

    > "dorayme" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <Xg98i.7689$>,
    > > "rf" <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> "dorayme" <> wrote in message

    > >> Horses, water, consumption thereof :)

    > > ?

    > <sigh>
    >
    > You can lead a horse to...

    I will now be proceeding to my backyard, I don't care how cold
    and dark it is, and thumping my head with a nice hefty bit of 4"
    by 2" hardwood. It is late in the day. Don't give up on me rf -
    just yet!

    But, recovering, let me say, no I don't think you are right. I
    don't think on this one, the horses are being _led_ at all. They
    are just bolting all over the paddocks, the fences in disrepair
    and they go just about anywhere they like.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Jun 2, 2007
  11. cwdjrxyz

    rf Guest

    "dorayme" <> wrote in message
    > In article <KF98i.7702$>,
    > "rf" <> wrote:
    >
    >> "dorayme" <> wrote in message

    >> > ?

    >> <sigh>
    >>
    >> You can lead a horse to...

    > I will now be proceeding to my backyard, I don't care how cold
    > and dark it is, and thumping my head with a nice hefty bit of 4"
    > by 2" hardwood. It is late in the day. Don't give up on me rf -
    > just yet!
    >
    > But, recovering, let me say, no I don't think you are right. I
    > don't think on this one, the horses are being _led_ at all. They
    > are just bolting all over the paddocks, the fences in disrepair
    > and they go just about anywhere they like.

    OK, you convinced me to look at subject site.

    Oh my.
    You are correct. It's way too late to close the barn door. The horses are in
    then next county by now pardner.

    In just 60 seconds of perusal I spotted about 14 things that are simply
    plain stupid. By modern standards that is.

    --
    Richard.

    rf, Jun 2, 2007
  12. cwdjrxyz

    dorayme Guest

    In article <TAa8i.7719$>,
    "rf" <> wrote:

    > "dorayme" <> wrote in message

    > > But, recovering, let me say, no I don't think you are right. I
    > > don't think on this one, the horses are being _led_ at all. They
    > > are just bolting all over the paddocks, the fences in disrepair
    > > and they go just about anywhere they like.

    > OK, you convinced me to look at subject site.
    >
    > Oh my.
    > You are correct. It's way too late to close the barn door. The horses are in
    > then next county by now pardner.
    >
    > In just 60 seconds of perusal I spotted about 14 things that are simply
    > plain stupid. By modern standards that is.

    It is a worry for a project of this magnitude and perhaps
    importance that is meant to be an online resource to so start...

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Jun 2, 2007
  13. cwdjrxyz

    freemont Guest

    On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 09:17:39 +0000, rf writ:

    > OK, you convinced me to look at subject site.
    >
    > Oh my.
    > You are correct. It's way too late to close the barn door. The horses are in
    > then next county by now pardner.
    >
    > In just 60 seconds of perusal I spotted about 14 things that are simply
    > plain stupid. By modern standards that is.

    <http://i15.tinypic.com/61wgsaf.jpg> Opera 9.21 Mandriva Linux, Flash
    enabled

    I assume there's supposed to be something in the middle of the page. Oh,
    well, guess I can't use the site. :-\

    --
    "Because all you of Earth are idiots!"
    ¯`·..·¯`·-> freemont© <-·¯`·..·¯

    freemont, Jun 2, 2007
  14. cwdjrxyz

    cwdjrxyz Guest

    On Jun 2, 8:25 am, freemont <>
    wrote:
    > On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 09:17:39 +0000, rf writ:
    >
    > > OK, you convinced me to look at subject site.

    > > Oh my.
    > > You are correct. It's way too late to close the barn door. The horses are in
    > > then next county by now pardner.

    > > In just 60 seconds of perusal I spotted about 14 things that are simply
    > > plain stupid. By modern standards that is.

    > <http://i15.tinypic.com/61wgsaf.jpg> Opera 9.21 Mandriva Linux, Flash
    > enabled
    >
    > I assume there's supposed to be something in the middle of the page. Oh,
    > well, guess I can't use the site. :-\

    I just checked with my Opera 9.21 with a Windows XP OS, and Flash 9.
    If you mean the page you get after you click "enter" on the home page,
    it works for me. The middle of the page has a flash player. It takes a
    few moments to pop up as a black box. The control panel for the player
    may not be seen until you move the cursor onto the black player area.
    You must start the player with this control panel. The panel then
    disappears after a few seconds again. This is a flash option that
    hides the control panel unless it is being used. If the page still
    does not work for you, perhaps the flash version you have is not
    recent enough. Then it is possible that the Linux OS is having
    problems with the code used. The site is just being started up. They
    ask for feedback, so if you still are having a problem, you might want
    to contact them.

    The preliminary site demo was written by a commercial web development
    company, for free I think, that is mentioned somewhere on the site. At
    present the code is written in xhtml 1.0 transitional, but is being
    served as just text/html. I have no idea if they intend to set the
    server to serve true xhtml as application/xhtml+xml in the future. And
    of course their code for the flash object does not validate. They use
    the common ActiveX object for it that contains an embed path for most
    browsers, other than IE, that do not support ActiveX. This seems to
    work and is often used. However modern valid code can be used by using
    Microsoft conditional comments to route to an ActiveX path if IE and
    route to an ordinary object path if not IE rather than the embed path
    used. The embed tag is what causes errors at the W3C html validator,
    because embed is not and never has been an official W3C tag. It is a
    relic from the browser war era. There are other "warts". I don't know
    who will write the final code used on the finished site. They
    apparently were in a hurry to get something up for a demo.

    cwdjrxyz, Jun 2, 2007
  15. cwdjrxyz

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    cwdjrxyz <> wrote:

    > On Jun 2, 8:25 am, freemont <>
    > wrote:
    > > On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 09:17:39 +0000, rf writ:
    > >
    > > > OK, you convinced me to look at subject site.

    > > > Oh my.
    > > > You are correct. It's way too late to close the barn door. The horses are
    > > > in
    > > > then next county by now pardner.

    > > > In just 60 seconds of perusal I spotted about 14 things that are simply
    > > > plain stupid. By modern standards that is.

    > > <http://i15.tinypic.com/61wgsaf.jpg> Opera 9.21 Mandriva Linux, Flash
    > > enabled
    > >
    > > I assume there's supposed to be something in the middle of the page. Oh,
    > > well, guess I can't use the site. :-\

    > I just checked with my Opera 9.21 with a Windows XP OS, and Flash 9.

    I think freemont was making a point about accessibility (not
    everyone has Flash, images turned on, Java Script, you know...)
    rather than being puzzled.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Jun 2, 2007
  16. cwdjrxyz

    cwdjrxyz Guest

    On Jun 2, 11:28 am, cwdjrxyz <> wrote:
    > On Jun 2, 8:25 am, freemont <>
    > wrote:
    >

    > > On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 09:17:39 +0000, rf writ:

    > > > OK, you convinced me to look at subject site.

    > > > Oh my.
    > > > You are correct. It's way too late to close the barn door. The horses are in
    > > > then next county by now pardner.

    > > > In just 60 seconds of perusal I spotted about 14 things that are simply
    > > > plain stupid. By modern standards that is.

    > > <http://i15.tinypic.com/61wgsaf.jpg> Opera 9.21 Mandriva Linux, Flash
    > > enabled

    > > I assume there's supposed to be something in the middle of the page. Oh,
    > > well, guess I can't use the site. :-\

    > I just checked with my Opera 9.21 with a Windows XP OS, and Flash 9.
    > If you mean the page you get after you click "enter" on the home page,
    > it works for me. The middle of the page has a flash player. It takes a
    > few moments to pop up as a black box. The control panel for the player
    > may not be seen until you move the cursor onto the black player area.
    > You must start the player with this control panel. The panel then
    > disappears after a few seconds again. This is a flash option that
    > hides the control panel unless it is being used. If the page still
    > does not work for you, perhaps the flash version you have is not
    > recent enough. Then it is possible that the Linux OS is having
    > problems with the code used. The site is just being started up. They
    > ask for feedback, so if you still are having a problem, you might want
    > to contact them.
    >
    > The preliminary site demo was written by a commercial web development
    > company, for free I think, that is mentioned somewhere on the site. At
    > present the code is written in xhtml 1.0 transitional, but is being
    > served as just text/html. I have no idea if they intend to set the
    > server to serve true xhtml as application/xhtml+xml in the future. And
    > of course their code for the flash object does not validate. They use
    > the common ActiveX object for it that contains an embed path for most
    > browsers, other than IE, that do not support ActiveX. This seems to
    > work and is often used. However modern valid code can be used by using
    > Microsoft conditional comments to route to an ActiveX path if IE and
    > route to an ordinary object path if not IE rather than the embed path
    > used. The embed tag is what causes errors at the W3C html validator,
    > because embed is not and never has been an official W3C tag. It is a
    > relic from the browser war era. There are other "warts". I don't know
    > who will write the final code used on the finished site. They
    > apparently were in a hurry to get something up for a demo.

    After more carefully checking the flash code, I find it calls for
    version 8 of flash(9 is now the top). If your flash player is 7 or
    below, this very likely could be the problem. Owners of MSNTV 2 set
    top boxes are at version 7 flash. So far Microsoft has not upgraded
    their flash to 8, to say nothing of 9. I checked some of their groups,
    and many are now very bitter that Microsoft will not upgrade them from
    7 to at least 8, since they can no longer view many flash videos. The
    MSNTV 2 box is based on a watered down IE6 browser used for small
    devices, and all program downloads can only be done by Microsoft - not
    the box owner. The material in the flash being discussed is rather
    simple and could just as well be written with 7 version authoring
    programs. I have a program for creating FLV/flash videos, and it
    allows you to select flash version 7 or 8. I guess this all shows
    that, for media, if you stay about 2 versions behind in authoring, you
    will reach more people who are slow to upgrade for whatever reason. In
    most cases a new version player will work just fine in media authored
    with older version programs, but the reverse often is not true. If you
    know the details of what changes from one upgrade to another, you
    might well be able to avoid things not supported in an earlier version
    if they are not absolutely necessary.

    cwdjrxyz, Jun 2, 2007
  17. cwdjrxyz

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 19:22:02 +1000, dorayme
    <> wrote:

    >It is a worry for a project of this magnitude and perhaps
    >importance that is meant to be an online resource to so start...

    The big question is funding. So long as we can keep EOL away from any
    funding whatsoever, then there's still hope for it.

    Compare the success of Fishbase and Tolweb (shoestring) or Wikipedia
    (minimal in the early stages) with the failure of Arkive (money gushing
    from every orifice). As soon as money flows, corporate stupidity and
    proprietary standards move in.

    Andy Dingley, Jun 5, 2007