Larry Wall & Cults

Stefan Monnier

I'm starting my own cult to exterminate morons on this earth.

Sounds suicidal to me,

Stefan

Jeff Shannon

Rich said:
I belive the Cult (She Sells Sanctuary, etc.) is another manfifestation
of the Blue Öyster Cult.

No, the two are totally unrelated. (One was American (New York) and led
by Eric Bloom, the other was British (London) and led by Ian Astbury.)

However, The Cult did have an earlier incarnation as Southern Death Cult.

Jeff Shannon
Technician/Programmer
Credit International

Otto Wyss

Tassilo v. Parseval said:
It would, if anyone could take Xah Lee Loo seriously. But really, no one
can. He's more like the court jester, creeping out of the dark every so
and so months. We're all very much enjoying his sporadic shows. Really.

;-)
No offense but could you add some references so anyone can make up is
own opinion?

O. Wyss

Erik Max Francis

Marco said:
What does the Kaj ... phrase mean?
"You are dumb", "Your joke is dumb", ...?
Please don't make jokes about unknown things. "Xah Lee" for certain - [for
esperanto] failing to have the
letter 'y' - is not esperanto. And your joke is nothing but stupid.

That's two bad translations so far.

"Please don't joke about unknown issues. 'Xah Lee' certainly, on
account of the lack of an X, is not Esperanto.' And your joke is only
stupid." (Though _stupid_ was misspelled.)

"Xah Lee" doesn't have a Y in it, after all!

Pascal Bourguignon

What you mean with Unixism?

It's always funny to observe people's contradictions:

Last week i bought a chain saw with a
twisted handle. Perhaps i wasn't
careful, but by accident it chopped one
of my arm off, then i thought to myself
"gosh, this is POWERFUL!". This seems to
be the fashionable mode of thinking
among the unixers or unixer-to-be, who
would equate power and flexibility with
rawness and complexity; disciplined by
repeated accidents. Such a tool would
first chop off the user's brain, molding
a mass of brainless imbeciles and
microcephalic charlatans the likes of
Larry Wall and Linus Torvald jolly
asses. --Xah Lee

$ telnet xahlee.org 80;
Trying 208.186.130.4...
Connected to xahlee.org.
Escape character is '^]'.
GET / HTTP/1.1

HTTP/1.1 400 Bad Request
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 01:35:52 GMT
Server: Apache/2.0.50 (Fedora)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

neither do we.

Otto Wyss

Pascal Bourguignon said:
It's always funny to observe people's contradictions:

Last week i bought a chain saw with a
twisted handle. Perhaps i wasn't
careful, but by accident it chopped one
of my arm off, then i thought to myself
"gosh, this is POWERFUL!". This seems to
be the fashionable mode of thinking
among the unixers or unixer-to-be, who

Thanks, for the clarification. For a none native English it's sometimes
difficult to grasp the underlying meaning. And do I understand it right
that Xah Lee _speaks_ against "Unixism" instead of producing code?

Well then I may point at "wyoism", the cult of the code producer.
;-)

O. Wyss

Reynir Stefánsson

So spake Rich Teer:
I think you're getting confused with the Blue Öyster Cult.
Don't Fear the Reaper - great song.

And then there's this crazy little thing called love...

Reynir Stefánsson

So spake R Baumann:
<BIG SNIP>

In this context --- This is the STUPIDEST thing I've ever heard. What a
maroon! What a Trollup!

Well, wasn't it lwall that said: "All language designers are arrogant.
Comes with the territory."?

Kenny Tilton

Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 01:35:52 GMT
Server: Apache/2.0.50 (Fedora)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

So you like my approach, which is to condemn things they have never used?

:)

kenny

norman werner

Albert Reiner said:
Ankaux miaj - krom, eble, ankaux la Haskella.

Stranga koncentrigxo de verdlingvanoj cxe cll, cxu ne?

Albert.

estas koncentrig:eek:. Ambau: lingvoj estas elektata de inteligentaj homoj :)
Espereble mi ne g:ustas - ne mi s:atas induktitan konkludon pri homaro.

Norman

Peter Maas

George said:
"Isms", in my opinion, are not good. A person should not believe in
an "ism". He should believe in himself.

Yes! Down with electromagnetism, optimism, idealism.

And first of all:

Fight patriotism.

;)

Pascal Bourguignon

Kenny Tilton said:
So you like my approach, which is to condemn things they have never used?

:)

No, that of no more using things that you condemn.

neither do we.

Peter Hansen

norman said:
Bonvolu ne s:ercu pri nekonatoj aferoj. "Xah Lee" certe - pro manko de
Ikso - ne estas esperanto. Kaj via s:erco nur s:tulta estas.

Norman
tradukita:
You certainly have not the slightest idea about esperanto. So please
dont't emberass yourself. And back to topic(?): "Xah lee" is not
esperanto.

Well, let's see how your clear your mind was today.

Either it's a joke, in which case it is clear to all
that it doesn't really mean troll, or it's not a joke
in which case I obviously don't know Esperanto.

Here are the facts:

1. It's a joke, as you surmised.

2. I know Esperanto.

Now can you perhaps see that your first comment in the poor
translation of your own Esperanto is invalid and offensive?

By the way, to those not fluent in both languages, what this
fellow really wrote was more along the lines of "Please do not
joke about things you don't know about. Xah Lee certainly --
because Esperanto has no "x" -- is not Esperanto. And your
joke is merely stupid."

If you're going to accuse me of stupidity, please at least
get your own translation and logic skills in working order
first.

-Peter