last line not displaying

Discussion in 'HTML' started by thedarkman, Feb 29, 2012.

  1. thedarkman

    thedarkman Guest

    thedarkman, Feb 29, 2012

  2. thedarkman

    idle Guest

    On Wed, 29 Feb 2012 15:31:42 -0800 (PST), thedarkman wrote in alt.html:

    > http://www.infotextmanuscripts.org/id_home_of_ice.html
    >
    > The last line of the above page should read Click here to return to
    > short stories, but it doesn't display. Can anyone tell me why not?
    >
    > Thanks

    No.
    Did you validate the page?
    No >

    Pisser

    --
    idle
    Friendship is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you

    idle, Mar 1, 2012

  3. thedarkman wrote:

    > http://www.infotextmanuscripts.org/id_home_of_ice.html
    >
    > The last line of the above page should read Click here to return to
    > short stories, but it doesn't display. Can anyone tell me why not?

    Are you nearly blind? That page would assume so.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 1, 2012
  4. Hot-Text wrote:
    >> thedarkman wrote:
    >>
    >>> http://www.infotextmanuscripts.org/id_home_of_ice.html
    >>>
    >>> The last line of the above page should read Click here to return to
    >>> short stories, but it doesn't display. Can anyone tell me why not?

    >> Are you nearly blind? That page would assume so.
    >>

    > it was only 4 lines
    > and the last 2 had look like this:
    >
    > <P><A HREF="short_stories.html" target="_blank>Back To Short Stories
    > Index</A> </h4></HTML>
    >
    > And it need to look this way:

    No it doesn't

    > <P><A HREF="short_stories.html" target="_blank">Back To Short Stories

    ^^^
    > Index</A> </h4></body></HTML>

    ^^^^^

    > LOOL I would not be able to read Line #2,
    > it have 226 lines on one line,
    > if set right there will be 228 Lines in all..
    >
    > Nearly blind LOOL Beauregard T.

    thedarkman stumbles perpetually in the dark as he uses the pasta-process
    of html coding...keep tossing random elements like pasta against the
    wall and sees what sticks...

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Mar 1, 2012
  5. Hot-Text wrote:

    > Jonathan
    >
    > It had so manly justify align in it, I was come me blind too,
    > But all in all, I know I have a good working ICE MACHINE......

    thedarkman may toss HTML elements about randomly, but you see to use the
    same process with words. I cannot make any sense from what you write. I
    sure hope that English is your *second* language.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------

    Jonathan N. Little, Mar 1, 2012
  6. Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    > Hot-Text wrote:
    >

    >> Jonathan
    >>
    >> It had so manly justify align in it, I was come me blind too,
    >> But all in all, I know I have a good working ICE MACHINE......
    >>

    > thedarkman may toss HTML elements about randomly, but you see to use the
    > same process with words. I cannot make any sense from what you write. I
    > sure hope that English is your *second* language.

    Fate: Must make a typo s/see/seem/

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------

    Jonathan N. Little, Mar 1, 2012
  7. Jonathan N. Little wrote:

    > Hot-Text wrote:
    >> Jonathan
    >>
    >> It had so manly justify align in it, I was come me blind too, But all
    >> in all, I know I have a good working ICE MACHINE......

    > thedarkman may toss HTML elements about randomly, but you see to use the
    > same process with words. I cannot make any sense from what you write. I
    > sure hope that English is your *second* language.

    Hot-Text, or any of several other nyms, uses a random word generator.
    English is his first language, but he doesn't use it.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 1, 2012
  8. thedarkman

    thedarkman Guest

    I'm glad I continue to amuse you but this time you have shot
    yourselves in the foot. The code was generated when I saved the WORD
    document. I made very minor alterations which appear to have decreased
    the number of errors, in particular I inserted:

    after removing the original.

    Also, I can't for the life of me understand a lot of what this program
    says. For example:

    http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=h...(detect automatically)&doctype=Inline&group=0

    now it says

    document type does not allow element "P" here; missing one of
    "APPLET", "OBJECT", "MAP", "IFRAME", "BUTTON" start-tag

    I'm not using applets, maps or any of the above. Whay is wrong with
    the <p> and where should it go?

    and

    an attribute value must be a literal unless it contains only name
    characters

    <FONT COLOR=<"000000"></h3><h4><P ALIGN="JUSTIFY">Note: This
    questionnaire is n…

    literal what?

    All I want is to display the last line. Can this be done with minimal
    coding?

    thedarkman, Mar 1, 2012
  9. thedarkman

    idle Guest

    On Thu, 1 Mar 2012 12:03:02 -0800 (PST), thedarkman wrote in alt.html:

    > I'm glad I continue to amuse you but this time you have shot
    > yourselves in the foot. The code was generated when I saved the WORD
    > document. I made very minor alterations which appear to have decreased
    > the number of errors, in particular I inserted:

    > after removing the original.
    >
    > Also, I can't for the life of me understand a lot of what this program
    > says. For example:
    >
    > http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=h...(detect automatically)&doctype=Inline&group=0
    >
    > now it says
    >
    > document type does not allow element "P" here; missing one of
    > "APPLET", "OBJECT", "MAP", "IFRAME", "BUTTON" start-tag

    > I'm not using applets, maps or any of the above. Whay is wrong with
    > the <p> and where should it go?
    >
    > and
    >
    > an attribute value must be a literal unless it contains only name
    > characters
    >
    > <FONT COLOR=<"000000"></h3><h4><P ALIGN="JUSTIFY">Note: This
    > questionnaire is n¡K
    >
    > literal what?
    >
    > All I want is to display the last line. Can this be done with minimal
    > coding?

    <P><A HREF="short_stories.html" target="_blank>Back To Short Stories
    Index</A> </h4></body></HTML>
    Change to :
    Index</A></p></body></HTML>

    And don't ever, ever, convert a doc to html.

    Sheesh

    --
    idle
    Double parked on the corner of Null and Void.

    idle, Mar 1, 2012
  10. thedarkman

    Tim Streater Guest

    In article
    <>,
    thedarkman <> wrote:

    > I'm glad I continue to amuse you but this time you have shot
    > yourselves in the foot. The code was generated when I saved the WORD
    > document.

    That was your mistake right there.

    --
    Tim

    Tim Streater, Mar 1, 2012
  11. On Thu, 01 Mar 2012 12:03:02 -0800, thedarkman wrote:

    > I'm glad I continue to amuse you but this time you have shot yourselves
    > in the foot. The code was generated when I saved the WORD document. I
    > made very minor alterations which appear to have decreased the number of
    > errors, in particular I inserted:

    > after removing the original.
    >
    > Also, I can't for the life of me understand a lot of what this program
    > says. For example:
    >
    > http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http:/%

    2Fwww.infotextmanuscripts.org%2Fid_home_of_ice.html&charset=%28detect
    +automatically%29&doctype=Inline&group=0

    > now it says
    >
    > document type does not allow element "P" here; missing one of "APPLET",
    > "OBJECT", "MAP", "IFRAME", "BUTTON" start-tag

    > I'm not using applets, maps or any of the above. Whay is wrong with the

    In this case, the error usually occurs before the indicated point.
    However, the validator doesn't know where you went wrong, it only knows
    that when it reached the indicated point, it encountered invalid, for
    that point in the whole sequence of elements, markup.

    What is wrong is that somewhere *before* this line you have inserted a
    valid start tag of an element that can not contain a <p> element, but
    have not closed that start tag, and so you can not start a <p> here.

    You do this a lot, you have been told about it in the past, and you have
    ignored what you have been told, so I see little point in reminding you
    yet again of which elements must go inside which other elements.

    > and
    >
    > an attribute value must be a literal unless it contains only name
    > characters
    >
    > <FONT COLOR=<"000000"></h3><h4><P ALIGN="JUSTIFY">Note: This
    > questionnaire is n…
    >
    > literal what?

    In this case, it is pointing pretty accurately to the problem, namely an
    attribute of the indicated element that has been incorrectly declared.

    > All I want is to display the last line. Can this be done with minimal
    > coding?

    Yes, you just need to fix the broken html. But I'm not going to bother
    telling you how to do it, because you never listen when people do.

    It has become apparent that the only way that you will code valid html is
    when it prevents your pages being displayed. Therefore, the best strategy
    for the rest of us to adopt is not to fix your pages for you, but instead
    to point and laugh until you either learn to get it right or find someone
    else to bother.

    Rgds

    Denis McMahon

    Denis McMahon, Mar 2, 2012
  12. Hot-Text wrote:

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
    >> Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    >>> thedarkman may toss HTML elements about randomly, but you see to use
    >>> the same process with words. I cannot make any sense from what you
    >>> write. I sure hope that English is your *second* language.

    >> Hot-Text, or any of several other nyms, uses a random word generator.
    >> English is his first language, but he doesn't use it.

    > Beauregard T you always say I uses a random word generator, and you
    > wrong. just discard that idol....

    "that idol?" Then explain why you can't write properly constructed
    sentences?

    > discard
    >
    > 5 definitions found for discard

    Definitions discarded.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 2, 2012
  13. thedarkman

    dorayme Guest

    In article <4f50188b$0$2717$>,
    Denis McMahon <> wrote:

    > On Thu, 01 Mar 2012 12:03:02 -0800, thedarkman wrote:

    > You do this a lot, ... so I see little point in reminding you
    > yet again of which elements must go inside which other elements.

    Is it my fading memory or have I really heard this before? <g>

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Mar 2, 2012