    client side way of adding this would suffice. (But I'll probably do it
    server side)

    Jeff
    Jeff Thies, Aug 13, 2004

  2. Jeff Thies

    Sam Hughes Guest

    Jeff Thies <> wrote in news:EITSc.14650$nx2.1100
    @newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net:

    > Any thoughts on "Last Modified Date" for web pages.
    >
    > Is the format or associated markup important?
    >
    > Something like this OK?

    Dates look so much cooler when you don't abbreviate. I would use "Last
    modified on Monday, July 12, 2004." Actually, I would drop the Monday,
    perhaps using "Last modified on July 12, 2004." However, I would think
    that visitors are more interested in the last time you had your content
    updated, rather than general modifications to the file (such as linking
    to a new CSS document). That's why I use "Last updated on November 11,
    2006," and I would only change the date when changes occur which affect
    the user.

    --
    How to make it so visitors can't resize your fonts:
    <http://www.rpi.edu/~hughes/www/wise_guy/unresizable_text.html>
    Sam Hughes, Aug 13, 2004

  3. Jeff Thies

    Jeff Thies Guest

    Sam Hughes wrote:

    > Jeff Thies <> wrote in news:EITSc.14650$nx2.1100
    > @newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net:
    >

    >> Any thoughts on "Last Modified Date" for web pages.
    >>
    >>Is the format or associated markup important?
    >>
    >>Something like this OK?

    > Dates look so much cooler when you don't abbreviate. I would use "Last
    > modified on Monday, July 12, 2004." Actually, I would drop the Monday,
    > perhaps using "Last modified on July 12, 2004."

    I like that!

    However, I would think
    > that visitors are more interested in the last time you had your content
    > updated, rather than general modifications to the file (such as linking
    > to a new CSS document). That's why I use "Last updated on November 11,
    > 2006," and I would only change the date when changes occur which affect
    > the user.

    I've already worked this out by only changing the file's mtime when the
    content changes, not when the template changes.

    Cheers,
    Jeff

    Jeff Thies, Aug 13, 2004
  4. Jeff Thies

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Jeff Thies wrote:

    title="July">Jul</abbr> 12, 2004.</div>

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby Inkster, Aug 13, 2004
  5. Jeff Thies <> wrote:

    > Any thoughts on "Last Modified Date" for web pages.

    They are wrong so often that they are unreliable. At least such text
    should not _look like_ the usual JavaScript-generated stuff that relies
    on what the server sends (which is almost always correct _in a sense_,
    but not necessarily the right sense).

    > Is the format or associated markup important?

    The format is relevant to human beings that may have difficulties in
    understanding different date formats, such as 12/2/2004.

    > Something like this OK?

    I see little reason to include the day of the week or to use a three-
    letter code for the month, instead of a month name.

    I see many reasons to use consistently ISO 8601 conformant notation like
    2004-08-12. To begin with, most users are only interested in the year, so
    it should coeme first. Second, the format is recognizable as a date
    notation, and it is virtually certainly unambiguous - no question about
    which is month and which is day of month.

    In very special cases (a very frequently changing page), one might even
    include the time. Then make sure the time zone is expressed, e.g.
    2004-08-12 14:15:00Z
    (technically it should be 2004-08-12T14:15:00Z according to ISO 8601, but
    this notation is fairly hard to read and very rarely used).

    > In as much as this is also sent in the header, I would think that
    > even a client side way of adding this would suffice. (But I'll
    > probably do it server side)

    If you use client side scripting to generate it from an HTTP header,
    at least make the script emit the entire string, instead of the common
    mistake of doing something that results in
    Last Modified:
    when scripting is off.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Aug 13, 2004
  6. Jeff Thies

    Jim Higson Guest

    Jeff Thies wrote:

    > Sam Hughes wrote:
    >
    >> Jeff Thies <> wrote in news:EITSc.14650$nx2.1100
    >> @newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net:
    >>

    >>> Any thoughts on "Last Modified Date" for web pages.
    >>>
    >>>Is the format or associated markup important?
    >>>
    >>>Something like this OK?

    >> Dates look so much cooler when you don't abbreviate. I would use "Last
    >> modified on Monday, July 12, 2004." Actually, I would drop the Monday,
    >> perhaps using "Last modified on July 12, 2004."

    you can use Javascript to format dates+times according to the user's locale.
    Jim Higson, Aug 13, 2004
  7. Jim Higson <> wrote:

    >>> Dates look so much cooler when you don't abbreviate. I would use
    >>> "Last modified on Monday, July 12, 2004." Actually, I would drop
    >>> the Monday, perhaps using "Last modified on July 12, 2004."

    > you can use Javascript to format dates+times according to the user's
    > locale.

    .... to create some absurd humor, right? Like

    Last modified on 12. heinäkuuta 2004.

    The date format for dates actually shown as part of a page should, of
    course, match the language of the document, not the user's locale (or
    "user's locale", which might in fact be just the browser's default
    locale). It should thus be either a language-dependent notation or a
    language-independent numeric notation (2004-07-12).

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Aug 13, 2004