Late night beginners question

Guest

I'm reviewing the 70-305 course and I'm trying to do the Chapter 5 lab.

I've created the Calls.aspx page and the dsCalls xsd. I've set the
DataSource of dlstcalls to 'dsCalls.Tables(“Callsâ€).DefaultView' as
instructed. (Page 296)

When I run the project and try to access the Calls page I get the error
message: BC30390: 'Chap5Lab.Calls.dsCalls' is not accessible in this context
because it is 'Private'.

What am I forgetting?

Yunus Emre ALPÖZEN [MCSD.NET]

simply change its modifier at least protected. Becuase ASPX page should
inherit your code and must able to access datasource....

--
HTH

Thanks,
Yunus Emre ALPÖZEN
BSc, MCSD.NET

Guest

Excuse me, but what modifier are you refering to? I'm talking about a
problem accessing a a dataset, an XSD, not a web page. There is no modifier
that I can find.

Shaun Wilde

how is dsCalls defined in your class?

try (or something similar)

protected Dataset dsCalls;

instead

Guest

Ok, that's what I forgot. dsCalls is declared at the start of the class
Calls with 'Dim dsCalls as dsCalls'. (Come to think of it, that alone sounds
a little funny.) When I change Dim to Public or Protected, the example works
fine.

On the other hand, I am still not sure I understand the theory behind this.
If you have the time, could you elaborate a bit on this?

Thanks.