Latest FOX release: what ver. #; how to get it/install it?

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Richard Lionheart, May 27, 2004.

  1. Hi,

    I've seen some references to Fox 1.2. But the comments have led me to
    believe it has not yet been released.

    In my Fox folder on Windows 2000Pro, I:\Program
    Files\Ruby\lib\ruby\site_ruby\1.8\fox, the version.rb file defines
    fxrubyversion which returns "1.0.25".

    Am I correct that 1.0.25 is the current production version? If not, what
    is, where do I get it, and is there anymore involved than unziping it to
    replace the contents of the folder cited above?

    Finally, is there a better way to ascertain the latest version other than
    posting a question like this?

    Regards,
    Richard

    ---

    Richard Lionheart, May 27, 2004

  2. Hi Lyle,

    Thanks again for such a comprehensive answer. I save them in my RubyNotes
    file.

    I'm still chewing on your explanation of Ruby/FXRuby's object models,
    especially the comment about users mistakenly adding new icons within a loop
    rather than using a single instance. When I've thought about it enough,
    I'll post my appreciation for your explanation ... or my contrary view,
    despite my limited experience with Ruby, etc. I guess they call that hubris
    :)

    Regards,
    Richard

    "Lyle Johnson" <> wrote in message
    > Richard Lionheart wrote:
    >
    > > I've seen some references to Fox 1.2. But the comments have led me to
    > > believe it has not yet been released.

    > In the beginning, there was a C++ based GUI toolkit named FOX. Later,
    > someone developed a Ruby interface to FOX and decided to call that Ruby
    > interface FXRuby. But they still are, and always will be, two separate
    > entities (software-wise).
    >
    > FOX 1.2 has been released; see the FOX home page at
    > http://www.fox-toolkit.com.
    >
    > There is as yet no FXRuby version which is compatible with FOX 1.2. I'd
    > like to believe I'll be able to produce such a beast by the end of June.
    >
    > > In my Fox folder on Windows 2000Pro, I:\Program
    > > Files\Ruby\lib\ruby\site_ruby\1.8\fox, the version.rb file defines
    > > fxrubyversion which returns "1.0.25".

    > OK.
    >
    > > Am I correct that 1.0.25 is the current production version?

    > No.
    >
    > > If not, what is, where do I get it, and is there anymore involved than

    unziping it to
    > > replace the contents of the folder cited above?

    > Go to the FXRuby home page, here:
    >
    > http://www.fxruby.org
    >
    > Let you eyes drift to the "Downloads" link on the left side of the page.
    > Click that link. When the "Downloads" page loads, look at the section
    > near the bottom, labelled "Binaries for Microsoft Windows". Follow that
    > link to the downloads section on SourceForge, where the latest release
    > (FXRuby 1.0.28) is at the top of the list.
    >
    > It is distributed as an installer (i.e. not a zip file). When the
    > installer asks for an installation directory, input the directory where
    > you installed Ruby. In your case, it looks like that directory should be:
    >
    > I:\Program Files\Ruby
    >
    > > Finally, is there a better way to ascertain the latest version other

    than
    > > posting a question like this?

    > The above is one way. Whenever there's a new release, I send an e-mail
    > to various mailing lists (fxruby-announce, fxruby-users, foxgui-users
    > and ruby-talk) where FXRuby users tend to hang out. It's also listed on
    > the front page of the FOX Community Wiki Site

    (http://www.fox-toolkit.net).

    ---

    Richard Lionheart, May 30, 2004