Latest Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll?

David P. Donahue

Greetings,

I'm using a relatively old release of Visual Studio .NET and am
running into a compatability problem with one of my ASP .NET websites.
From what I've gathered from support of the other products involved, I
need to compile my site using Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll 7:0:5000:0 but
it seems I am only using 7:0:3300:0. How would I update this library?
Unfortunately, upgrading to a newer Visual Studio is not an option at
this point. I've been searching the MSDN website but with little luck.
I tried downloading and installing .NET Framework Version 2.0
Redistributable Package Beta 1 (x86) from the MSDN website, but Visual
Studio still seems to be using 7:0:3300:0 when it compiles. Any ideas?

David P. Donahue
(e-mail address removed)

CJ Taylor

The visual studio version doesn't matter.

I'm assuming that is a .NET 1.0 version right there.. if so you might want
to try upgrading to .NET 1.0 SP3

-CJ

David P. Donahue

I just did a bunch of Windows Updating and was sure to include the .NET
Framework service packs. However, when I go to Help/About in Visual
Studio, it still says "Microsoft .NET Framework 1.0 Version 1.0.3705"
and, of course, the original problem persists.

Do I need to do something in Visual Studio to tell it to use the newly
installed framework? There are currently 3 versions in
"c:\windows\microsoft.net\framework" which are 1.0.3705, 1.1.4322, and
2.0.40607.

David P. Donahue
(e-mail address removed)

Greg Burns

Installing the SP3 for NET 1.0 (or SP1 for NET1.1) will not change the
version number.

Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll 7:0:5000:0 is part of (NET Framework 1.1 aka
v1.1.4322). Hence, you need Visual Studio 2003 to compile with it. If you
don't have VS NET 2003, you can try using the command prompt if you are up
to the challenge :^)

C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\vbc.exe

AFAIK: VS.NET 2003 can be forced to compile to 1.0, but VS.NET 2002 cannot
be forced to compile to 1.1

Installing the Beta of Framework 2 on your development PC may not have been
a wise move...

HTH,
Greg

David P. Donahue

Installing the SP3 for NET 1.0 (or SP1 for NET1.1) will not change the
version number.

Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll 7:0:5000:0 is part of (NET Framework 1.1 aka
v1.1.4322). Hence, you need Visual Studio 2003 to compile with it. If you
don't have VS NET 2003, you can try using the command prompt if you are up
to the challenge :^)

Command-line compilation wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. Is
there a tutorial somewhere on the "proper" way of compiling a web
application via the command line?
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\vbc.exe

AFAIK: VS.NET 2003 can be forced to compile to 1.0, but VS.NET 2002 cannot
be forced to compile to 1.1

Installing the Beta of Framework 2 on your development PC may not have been
a wise move...

No worries, this machine is destined to be blown away and re-installed
once I get the rest of my infrastructure up and running. For now I'm
just using it to test things and make sure they work before I do the
serious development.

David P. Donahue

Certainly worth testing, thanks :)

David P. Donahue
(e-mail address removed)

David P. Donahue

Hmm. I'm having trouble finding a way with this WebMatrix program to
compile my project. It seems to want to run things in its own web
server or in the local IIS, not just compile the site and let me put it
somewhere else. Am I missing something?