Latest models of Gibson guitars

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=

(e-mail address removed) wrote:

[some spam deleted]
This is a newsgroup of programming language Python, stop with this!

Actually this was posted to a bunch of newsgroups of which one is
about python.

Arne

George

Hello,

This is a newsgroup of programming language Python, stop with this!

Regards,
Vedran

Thank Google for it. They own blogspot and officially encourage their
users to look for click revenue. Then the users spam newsgroups using
Google, the spammers friend.

thebjorn

On 19 kol, 19:34, (e-mail address removed) wrote:
[spam]

Hello,

This is a newsgroup of programming language Python, stop with this!

Regards,
Vedran

As someone else pointed out, this is more widely disseminated than
just c.l.py. If you feel the need to do something about the post, and
you're using Google groups, there's a "More options" link in the top
right corner of every post where you can report it as spam. That might
be marginally more effective than trying to chastise a spammer for
being off-topic (it's what they do) -- at least it won't degrade the
signal/noise ratio further.

-- bjorn

Lew

Twisted said:
Python?! Python is as off-topic here as guitars, unlike, say, Java...

When referring to "this" newsgroup or "here", one must remember that this is a
cross-posted thread, so those concepts have multiple referents.

Take another look at the address field ("Newsgroups:") of the message, then
redefine "this newsgroup" accordingly - there are more than one due to the
spammish cross-posting of the original message.

So let's all stop being so parochial, hmm?

Twisted

When referring to "this" newsgroup or "here", one must remember that this is a
cross-posted thread

You assume it was obvious to me that it was in the first place. But I
didn't see it in any other group that I read, and the news interface
that I use just, by default, shows me the subject, from, and date and
the name of the one newsgroup that I'm reading. If the message then
says something absurd, like "this is a newsgroup about Python" when
I'm reading it in cljp, well, what do you expect? :p

Again you seem to assume I have more context than I actually do when I
read postings. At least when it's cross-posted if I for some reason
decided to look closely at all of the headers that it was cross-posted
would become quickly apparent. Previously, though, you even expected
me to know at a glance when a message was multi-posted separately to
various groups, though nothing in the headers would indicate this.
Only doing a Google search for every message's content would reliably
detect multi-posting, and I'm not about to start doing that just to
satisfy *you*. :p

kaldrenon

If the message then
says something absurd, like "this is a newsgroup about Python" when
I'm reading it in cljp, well, what do you expect? :p

I think most would expect you to go, "WTF?" but then, like a rational
person, click the helpful little "More options" link that GG provides
(I'm assuming you use GG to read as well as to post, forgive me if I'm
wrong) and double-check before harassing someone because you jumped to
conclusions.
though nothing in the headers would indicate this.

Newsgroups: comp.lang.java.programmer,
microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet, comp.lang.python,
rec.photo.digital, alt.home.repair
From: (e-mail address removed)
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2007 17:34:58 -0000
Subject: Latest models of Gibson guitars

That's the header GG shows. Preeeetty clear.

Just a tip for future reference - all's fair if you weren't aware of
this feature of GG's interface.

Twisted

I think most would expect you to go, "WTF?" but then, like a rational
person, click the helpful little "More options" link that GG provides

[snip rest of insult-implying randomness]

Er, right, whatever. :p
Newsgroups: comp.lang.java.programmer,
microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet, comp.lang.python,
rec.photo.digital, alt.home.repair

That indicates a *crosspost*. As I was saying in the post you've
willfully misinterpreted in order to attack me, there is however
nothing of the sort to indicate a *multipost*.

kaldrenon

That indicates a *crosspost*. As I was saying in the post you've
willfully misinterpreted in order to attack me, there is however
nothing of the sort to indicate a *multipost*.

But the reason Lew corrected you in the first place is that it IS a
crosspost. If it were a mutipost, the user who commented about Python
wouldn't have had his reply posted here. So the fact that it isn't a
multipost, and is in fact a crosspost, is why your comment received
criticism in the first place.

I haven't misinterpreted anything.

Read http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm if you're confused.

Tony

I don't who is posting here stupid shit about guitars
who ever is do self fever hang your self with one of strings

John McGaw

Reviews of latest models of best guitars, fender, gibson, yamaha, and
many more, with pictures and prices.

Are these new guitars made of SPAM like your message and your "blog"?

kaldrenon

Are these new guitars made of SPAM like your message and your "blog"?

That'd be bloody terrible to play, and sound awful.

Gimme a 100% Angus 12-string, or give me nothing, I say.

Twisted

But the reason Lew corrected you in the first place is that it IS a
crosspost.

[snip further willful misunderstanding]

I'll repost the original context for your edification, hopeless though
that cause likely be.

As you can see, I was not referring to this thread at all, but to an
earlier incident that did involve a multi-posted article. I noted that
although if for some reason I decided to look at the full headers of
every message I'd know which ones were cross-posted like this thread,
I'd still not know which ones were multi-posted without even more hoop-
jumping, namely google searches for each and every one, and pointed
out that earlier, in another thread, people had even expected me to
notice that some post had been multi-posted despite the obvious fact
that such an expectation is woefully unrealistic.

Lew

Twisted said:
although if for some reason I decided to look at the full headers of
every message I'd know which ones were cross-posted like this thread,

On the contrary, to spare you and others who have responded to this thread the
trouble of checking their headers, or jumping through the demon GG's hoops, as
a public service I pointed out that the thread had been cross-posted. No
expectation to be inferred. It was to serve and educate, not to correct, that
I made the statement, and not to one individual as there had been a few, no
doubt also GG's hapless pawns, who had missed the fact of the cross post.

Fortunately I am blessed with Thunderbird, which displays all targeted
newgroups in its To: list much as it does with email, so it was an easy matter
for me to note and volunteer the information in hopes that it would prove
useful. I note, for example, that kaldreon made good use of the information
and focused this part of the thread to one group.

Sometimes when participants offer information it is not in a spirit of
expectation or correction, but of sharing and empowerment. This is such a case.