Latest version ready for flames

Hywel Jenkins

While the city slept, Karl Core ([email protected]) feverishly
typed...

No! It was Tina!

Technically, not. Al Gore invented it, Tina owns it. Gore was working
as her toe nail cleaner at the time when she said, "Wouldn't it be great
if there was someway to distribute photos of my toe nails around the
world quickly and easily." As Gore was in her employ at the time the
internet was invented Tina owns it.

Hywel Jenkins

While the city slept, (e-mail address removed) ([email protected])
feverishly typed...

Ooh! A VIC-20? You were spoilt by its colour, and its "proper" keyboard.

Oh yeah, baby. 8 colours, 4 voices (3, unless you count white noise as
a voice), and a whopping 3.5k of RAM for software. I had a 16k RAM
pack, too. Perils of Willy - absolutely caned Manic Miner.

I did get paid by "Commodore User" magazine for my first bit of software
(remember when they used to print listings?) in 1983. £25 was a huge
amount in them days.

started programming on a ZX81... no colour, no sound, hardly any memory, and
a sheet of cling film for a keyboard. That was programming for MEN! ;-)

ZX81 was dumb. What was it - 1k? It was more a toy for electronic
enthusiasts than computer people, wasn't it?

Hywel Jenkins

While sitting in a puddle nice.guy.nige scribbled in the mud:

Wasn't that also known as a Timex Sinclare or something.

Dunno, but it was made by Sinclair - the guy that invented the pocket
calculator in the early 70s.

mbstevens

Hywel said:
Oh yeah, baby. 8 colours, 4 voices (3, unless you count white noise as
a voice), and a whopping 3.5k of RAM for software. I had a 16k RAM
pack, too. Perils of Willy - absolutely caned Manic Miner.

I did get paid by "Commodore User" magazine for my first bit of software
(remember when they used to print listings?) in 1983. £25 was a huge
amount in them days.

ZX81 was dumb. What was it - 1k? It was more a toy for electronic
enthusiasts than computer people, wasn't it?
I had a Kaypro in that era. 64K, later upgraded to 128! Z80 processor.
Dual floppies for storage. CP-M, an assembler, and S-Basic that looked like
C.

Heady times.

Hywel Jenkins

Hywel Jenkins wrote:

I had a Kaypro in that era. 64K, later upgraded to 128! Z80 processor.
Dual floppies for storage. CP-M, an assembler, and S-Basic that looked like

Ooh, look at you with your super-computer.

Duende

While sitting in a puddle Hywel Jenkins scribbled in the mud:
Dunno, but it was made by Sinclair - the guy that invented the pocket
calculator in the early 70s.

About 8"x6"x1". 1k memory & an adapter for your TV. Still have it around
somewhere. Sold my C64 with tape drive. One thing the C64 had that I wish was
on modern computers was the firmware modules concept.

Robert Morien

Andy Dingley said:
Now I know you're just spouting garbage, but I can't for the life of
me think what significant 'net development happened in 1985 ?

Wasn't that the year Bullis became RtS?

mbstevens

Hywel said:
Ooh, look at you with your super-computer.

And I could tote that baby around.
Only the size of a large suitcase, and weighed about 35 pounds.
Sturdy handle.
Reliable low-density cardboard covered disks from 3-M.
Screen almost TWICE as big as an osborne, but we still let their owners come
to the club.

Blinky the Shark

Hywel said:
ZX81 was dumb. What was it - 1k? It was more a toy for electronic
enthusiasts than computer people, wasn't it?

IIRC, 2k; but 1 or 2, there was a RAM module that plugged into a port
on the back, adding 16K. Reminded me of a small wall wart; was
considerably taller than the computer was thick.

mbstevens

5 1/4" or 8"?
Five and a quarters. I still have some nice storage boxes which now
conveniently fit CDs and DVDs.
40x25 characters?
The characters themselves were much larger than the ones on the Osbourne
screen. The concept of 'fonts' was not something that came with the
computers. I think it went 60 or so across.
It was just big enough to be readable, while the Osbourne really needed
excellent eyesight to be useful at all.

nice.guy.nige

While the city slept, Hywel Jenkins ([email protected]) feverishly
typed...
Oh yeah, baby. 8 colours, 4 voices (3, unless you count white noise
as a voice),

Hah! Yes, I remember that now. My friend had a Vic-20 and I used to go down
to his house and have hours of fun programming the voices... especially the
white noise!

[...]
I did get paid by "Commodore User" magazine for my first bit of
software (remember when they used to print listings?) in 1983.

Oh yes, I remember. I remember spending ridiculous amounts of time
painstakingly typing them in with the cling-film keyboard, only to find they
didn't work!

There was one program that did work though and it was wonderful! It actually
made sound on the ZX81! Don't know if you remember, but the ZX81 had two
modes called "fast" and "slow". "Fast" turned off the screen output so more
of the processor was available, then you went back to "slow" mode so you
could see the output. If you slightly detuned the TV and turned the volume
up, the transition between "fast" and "slow" made a sound. This program used
different combinations of "fast" and "slow" to make different musical notes!
:)
£25 was a huge amount in them days.

Indeed it was. That's half what my ZX81 cost me!
ZX81 was dumb. What was it - 1k? It was more a toy for electronic
enthusiasts than computer people, wasn't it?

1K RAM. 8K ROM (IIRC). No sound (except as described above!) and no colour,
although I used to tell people it had four colours, "black, white, and two
shades of grey".

To be fair, it wasn't much, but it was still a pretty good computer
(especially for the money!) It was much better when I bought the 16K RAM
pack. But most of all, it's where I first learnt to program. Not long after
I bought it the Spectrum came out, so all the ZX81 software vanished from
the shops, so if I wanted it to do anything other than stop a small part of
my desk getting dusty I had to program it myself. Wrote some pretty neat
little games on it.

Some time later I progressed to a Spectrum (48K version. The guy I bought it
off originally had a 16K which bust. He realised that the only discernable
difference between the 16K and 48K models was a sticker on the box, so he
borrowed a box off someone with a 48K model and sent it back to Sinclair to
be replaced. A nice shiny 48K one came back!) and proceeded to upgrade it.
It already had a sound amplifier (essential!) which I soon rigged up to a
bigger speaker, and a joystick port (2 ports actually. One for "cursor keys"
and a Kempston one). I saved up my pennies and bought a proper keyboard for
it, then later got a speech synthesiser. One of the ultimate add-ons I got
for it was a disk drive, which had a memory dump button. If you were playing
a game (eg. The Hobbit), you could save the exact contents of memory to disk
by pressing the button, then go back to the spot in the game by loading it
back in.

Many years later I swapped all my Spectrum stuff (including two carrier bags
full of games) for an Amstrad PC1512-DD... I still think the other guy got
the better part of that deal! :-(

Ah well... reminisence time over...

Cheers,
Nige

Andy Dingley

Dunno, but it was made by Sinclair - the guy that invented the pocket
calculator in the early 70s.

Designed by Sinclair in Cambridge, but actually made at the Timex
factory in Scotland. For branding reasons they were sold as Sinclairs
in the UK, but Timex in the US. Same machine though - I think there
was just a case sticker difference.

Sinclair didn't invent the pocket calculator either, nor domestic
stereo or pocket TVs. He's an infamous self-publicist.

OTOH, the Electric Clog _was_ all his own work.

Jeffrey Silverman

What does over 70 have to do with being stupid?

Well, what does being under 16 have to do with it? nothing. But my
unscientific findings have shown that under 16 = immature and over 70 =
senile and neither trait is good in a newsgroup setting.

jake

Andy Dingley said:
Designed by Sinclair in Cambridge, but actually made at the Timex
factory in Scotland. For branding reasons they were sold as Sinclairs
in the UK, but Timex in the US. Same machine though - I think there
was just a case sticker difference.

Sinclair didn't invent the pocket calculator either, nor domestic
stereo or pocket TVs. He's an infamous self-publicist.

OTOH, the Electric Clog _was_ all his own work.

But don't forget the Sinclair C5 -- one of the very first electric cars
(and 20 years old this month). A splendid vehicle, much treasured by
people with a death-wish.

regards.

Hywel Jenkins

But don't forget the Sinclair C5 -- one of the very first electric cars
(and 20 years old this month). A splendid vehicle, much treasured by
people with a death-wish.

Made in Wales, too. I think that idea was just too far ahead of its
time.