Launch a new Internet Explorer process using javascript (iexplore.exe)

Liam Dooley

Hi, I have a need to launch a new internet explorer instance/process
using javascript (i.e. a new iexplore.exe windows process, not just a
new window).
Alternatively, if it was possible to run a command from javascript
(like you can do Run "iexplore www.google.com"
Does anyone know if this is possible?
(Background: This is needed as an intermediate workaround to a problem
we have running a Java applet using JDK 1.3 at the same time as an
oracle applications applet that uses JInitiator 1.3 from the same
explorer instance, the two jvm plugins are incompatible. Presently the
users *can* log into two different browser instances and the two
applets run fine, but it would be nice if we could force a new ie
process from the initial session)

Nick Howes

Liam Dooley said:
Hi, I have a need to launch a new internet explorer instance/process
using javascript (i.e. a new iexplore.exe windows process, not just a
new window).
Alternatively, if it was possible to run a command from javascript
(like you can do Run "iexplore www.google.com"

No. a web page cannot have that level of control over your system as to be
able to create a new process. This is what Java applets are for, so you
would be better off resolving the conflicts between your two applications
(and i'm sure it's possible given a little time and effort). And the
alternative is a definite no, as it would be probably the most massive
security hole you could have; anybody could run a command to delete all your
files etc. Sorry to burst your bubble, but web pages must work around the
user's system, not the other way round.

Liam Dooley

Hi, You didn't burst my bubble, that's what I suspected.
However, for instance, would it not be possible to execute a comamnd
defined in some COM object, which could be called through javascript? I
dont' know much about these things but am currently trying to find out.
Also, a workaround is not actually possible. Oracle have not certified
use of JDK 1.4 with JInitiator 1.3 (It's a known incompatability issue)
and this is the setup we require.

Liam Dooley

Found a solution:
A new internet explorer process can be launched using a signed
applet. The signed applet can use Runtime.getRuntime().exec("iexplore
some_url"); to launch a url in a new internet explorer process.