    users *can* log into two different browser instances and the two
    applets run fine, but it would be nice if we could force a new ie
    process from the initial session)

    Liam Dooley, Apr 28, 2004

  2. Liam Dooley

    Nick Howes Guest

    "Liam Dooley" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi, I have a need to launch a new internet explorer instance/process
    > using javascript (i.e. a new iexplore.exe windows process, not just a
    > new window).
    > Alternatively, if it was possible to run a command from javascript
    > (like you can do Run "iexplore www.google.com"

    No. a web page cannot have that level of control over your system as to be
    able to create a new process. This is what Java applets are for, so you
    would be better off resolving the conflicts between your two applications
    (and i'm sure it's possible given a little time and effort). And the
    alternative is a definite no, as it would be probably the most massive
    security hole you could have; anybody could run a command to delete all your
    files etc. Sorry to burst your bubble, but web pages must work around the
    user's system, not the other way round.

    Nick Howes, Apr 29, 2004

  3. Liam Dooley

    Liam Dooley Guest

    Hi, You didn't burst my bubble, that's what I suspected.
    However, for instance, would it not be possible to execute a comamnd
    defined in some COM object, which could be called through javascript? I
    dont' know much about these things but am currently trying to find out.
    Also, a workaround is not actually possible. Oracle have not certified
    use of JDK 1.4 with JInitiator 1.3 (It's a known incompatability issue)
    and this is the setup we require.

    Liam Dooley, Apr 29, 2004
  4. Liam Dooley

    Liam Dooley Guest

    Found a solution:
    A new internet explorer process can be launched using a signed
    applet. The signed applet can use Runtime.getRuntime().exec("iexplore
    some_url"); to launch a url in a new internet explorer process.

    Liam Dooley, Apr 30, 2004