    I use jsp...and i cannot use vbScript...?
    could u tell me how should i do it?
    Thanks
    dinamointer, May 10, 2006

  2. dinamointer wrote:
    > Could you help me in this problem:
    > I want to launch an exe file(executable jar file) from a web page.
    > I use jsp...and i cannot use vbScript...?
    > could u tell me how should i do it?

    If you mean a public web page with normal Internet security
    restrictions you cannot launch an exe at all (for very obvious
    safety/security reasons).

    Richard.
    Richard Cornford, May 10, 2006

  3. dinamointer wrote:
    > I want to launch an exe file(executable jar file) from a web page.
    > I use jsp...and i cannot use vbScript...?

    If you are running this on the server, then this is the wrong place.
    JavaScript has four things in common with JavaServer Pages - the
    letters "J", "A", "V" and another "A".

    On the client side, running executables with JavaScript is pretty much
    impossible in a standard security environment, but as you seem to be
    writing the executable in Java you might have some luck if you google
    for "Java Web Start" (which also has nothing to do with JavaScript).
    David Dorward, May 10, 2006
  4. Robert Baer wrote:
    > Richard Cornford wrote:
    >> dinamointer wrote:
    >>
    >>>Could you help me in this problem:
    >>>I want to launch an exe file(executable jar file) from a
    >>> web page. I use jsp...and i cannot use vbScript...?
    >>>could u tell me how should i do it?

    >> If you mean a public web page with normal Internet security
    >> restrictions you cannot launch an exe at all (for very obvious
    >> safety/security reasons).
    >>
    >> Richard.
    >>

    > I presume that means one cannot create a file from scratch
    > to use for variable memory common to a number of web pages
    > that call each other?

    No, I mean that a public web page with normal Internet security cannot
    launch an arbitrary executable in the client computer.

    > If true, and since cookies are said to be not reliable,
    > then it would seem to be impossible for a 100%
    > client-side JavaScript based web page set to have shared
    > variables.

    That would probably depend upon what 'shared variables' was supposed to
    be referring to.

    > If that is possible, then how could it be implimented?

    Your specification for 'it'?

    > I ask because i am trying to save a goodly chunk of money
    > that would be required for a server-side solution.

    There is a difference between not spending money and saving money
    (particularly over the longer term).

    Richard.
    Richard Cornford, May 11, 2006
  5. dinamointer

    Randy Webb Guest

    Re: launch an exe file from a web page...I use jsp and i cannot useVBScript...

    Robert Baer said the following on 5/11/2006 4:24 AM:
    > Richard Cornford wrote:
    >
    >> dinamointer wrote:
    >>
    >>> Could you help me in this problem:
    >>> I want to launch an exe file(executable jar file) from a web page.
    >>> I use jsp...and i cannot use vbScript...?
    >>> could u tell me how should i do it?

    >> If you mean a public web page with normal Internet security
    >> restrictions you cannot launch an exe at all (for very obvious
    >> safety/security reasons).
    >>
    >> Richard.
    >>

    > I presume that means one cannot create a file from scratch to use for
    > variable memory common to a number of web pages that call each other?

    Not on an Internet site. If it's Intranet you have possibilities.

    > If true, and since cookies are said to be not reliable, then it would
    > seem to be impossible for a 100% client-side JavaScript based web page
    > set to have shared variables.

    True, cookies are not reliable. Put the site in a hidden frame scenario
    and keep your variables in the frameset.

    > If that is possible, then how could it be implimented?

    See above.

    > I ask because i am trying to save a goodly chunk of money that would
    > be required for a server-side solution.

    PHP and Apache are free so where is that "goodly chunk of money" going
    to be spent?
    --
    Randy
    Randy Webb, May 11, 2006
  6. dinamointer

    Robert Baer said the following on 5/12/2006 3:59 AM:
    > Randy Webb wrote:
    >
    >> Robert Baer said the following on 5/11/2006 4:24 AM:
    >>> I ask because i am trying to save a goodly chunk of money that would
    >>> be required for a server-side solution.

    >> PHP and Apache are free so where is that "goodly chunk of money" going
    >> to be spent?

    > My ISP wants $$ to impliment security on my proposed web pages.

    Your ISP or your hosting company? All your ISP does is provide you with
    an Internet connection, hence the ISP - Internet Service Provider.

    Get a Broadband Connection (preferably Cable)
    Download Apache and PHP
    Create your own server.

    Simple stuff and it only costs you a Broadband connection.

    > I do not want anyone to type in the full URL of any of the web pages
    > and have them work - except the index.html "root".

    You can't reliably do that on the client. If you want limited access you
    have to do it on the server.

    > I have figured out a way that page#1 can "call" page#2 which can
    > "call" page#3 etc and one can use the back button successfully - but the
    > (stored) state variable can be used to prevent any other kind of entry.

    If your "security" depends on JS (or any other client side technology)
    then you don't have security, you have a false sense of security.
    --
    Randy
    Randy Webb, May 12, 2006