launch app and get irb prompt back

seannakasone

How do i launch an external app from irb and get the irb prompt back
immediately.

For example, i want to launch my editor to edit a file in a popup
window, but want to continue using the irb session while the file is
being edited.

I tried this, but the irb session suspends until i close the gvim
editor.

irb(main):001:0> exec "gvim a.txt"

wrecklass1

How do i launch an external app from irb and get the irb prompt back
immediately.

For example, i want to launch my editor to edit a file in a popup
window, but want to continue using the irb session while the file is
being edited.

I tried this, but the irb session suspends until i close the gvim
editor.

irb(main):001:0> exec "gvim a.txt"

Don't use exec, use system:

irb(main):001:0>system "gvim a.txt"