Launch .exe file from a Jar via Java WebStart

oziris

Hi!

Does anyone already succeed in running an executable file from a Jar,
or know how to? The final aim is to perform that via Java Webstart -
which needs all application files be in a Jar file.

The only derived way I've found consists in copying the file under the
local disk (via InputStream and OutputStream) and running it from this
location.

Even you don't know the precise answer, don't hesitate still and all to
post the minor births of ideas you could have.

Thanks a lot.

-m

Roedy Green

Does anyone already succeed in running an executable file from a Jar,
or know how to? The final aim is to perform that via Java Webstart -
which needs all application files be in a Jar file.

I have even done it from a signed Applet, allowing for one click
installs, not counting the grant.

As I said, the hardest part is deciding where to put it.

Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

Roedy Green

The only derived way I've found consists in copying the file under the
local disk (via InputStream and OutputStream) and running it from this
location.

Read http://mindprod.com/jgloss/image.html

about all the different ways you can get images. The same logic
applies to files. In your case you would pack the exe in your jar, and
use getResource or getResourceAsStream.

Once getResource gives you the URL, ask the file i/O amanuensis to
show you how to read the raw byte stream from an URL.

see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/fileio.html

If you want me to write you a sample JAWS app that unpacks an exe into
the current directory as a temporary file and executes it, I will do
that for $50 US.

You could then flesh out that skeleton.

Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.