Launch java app (jar) from c++

carsten.marx

Hello,
i a little newbie to C++. So sorry for some stupid questions.

The following scenario:
We have a java application running on 200 pcs in a network enviroment.
If a user starts the app the complete jre has to be loaded from a
mounted network volume. This took about 20 to 40 sec. We cannot change
this...
So currently i'm trying to write a splash screen which is showing the
user that something is going on.
The splash screen is implemented. Now my question. Is there an easy way
to lauch a jar as a process from c++ in that way that the splash screen
waits until the java app is started?
Are ther tutorials in the web available?

Thanks for any help.

Regards,
Carsten
University of Konstanz

Andrew Thompson

The following scenario:
We have a java application running on 200 pcs in a network enviroment.
If a user starts the app the complete jre has to be loaded from a
mounted network volume. This took about 20 to 40 sec. We cannot change
this...

This description screams 'Webstart' to me.

It can ensure the end user has the necessary Java installed then
reference it off the client file-system (for much quicker
subsequent start-up).
So currently i'm trying to write a splash screen which is showing the
user that something is going on.

And you can include a splash image, though it will be largely
redundant here because ..
a) the splash does not show the first time (e generic
splash is used)
b) second and subsequent start-ups should be quite fast.

HTH

Roedy Green

Is there an easy way
to lauch a jar as a process from c++ in that way that the splash screen
waits until the java app is started?

If you are familiar with C exec, the launch part is a one liner.

if you try to launch a jar or jnlp, you must launch a command
processor. If you launch java.exe make sure to include the .exe.

See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/javawebstart.html#CD
for a C++ launcher called Setup.exe I wrote for launching Java from
CD. It is considerably more complicated than you need. Just strip out
the irrelevancies.

Alun Harford

Hello,
i a little newbie to C++. So sorry for some stupid questions.

The following scenario:
We have a java application running on 200 pcs in a network enviroment.
If a user starts the app the complete jre has to be loaded from a
mounted network volume. This took about 20 to 40 sec. We cannot change
this...
So currently i'm trying to write a splash screen which is showing the
user that something is going on.

webstart

Alun Harford