Launching a console app on the server via asp.net

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by epigram, Aug 12, 2004.

  1. epigram

    epigram Guest

    I've got a console utility app that I need to launch on my web server
    via an aspx page. I need to do this so I can launch the console app
    from a web page from any client pc in my office.

    When I try to do this (using the Process object in the
    System.Diagnostics namespace) the process starts and then exits
    immediately. From what I understand this is related to security.
    This is not a "graphics" program, so I don't think this is a
    winstation issue, but I could be wrong because it is possible that
    this console app displays strings on the console.

    The odd thing is I was able to launch notepad.exe. Although, just
    launching notepad is pretty benign when compared to my utility program
    which is creating a data connection to an Access db and
    opening/creating/deleting files. So, this still may be a security
    issue.

    I thought that the anonymous account for asp/asp.net was
    LocalPcDomain\IUSR_LocalPcDomain. So, I gave this account total
    access to my entire C drive. That didn't help. I noticed that when I
    launched notepad, that the user was ASPNET. What is this account?

    In any case, I gave this account total access to my C drive, but this
    still did not alleviate the problem. Any ideas on how to achieve
    this?

    Thanks
    epigram, Aug 12, 2004

  2. Hmmm. To decide once and for all whether or not the problem is with user
    permissions, you could try:

    a) launch the process under an admin account using impersonation... see
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306158#4 -
    "impersonate a specific user only when you run a particular section of code"

    or

    b) make the ASPNET account a member of an administrators group
    !!Temporarily!!

    If it still does not launch properly, I doubt it's a problem with
    permissions/security.

    Regards,
    Wes Henderson

    In order to help everyone, please direct all replies to this newsgroup.
    This posting is my personal effort to provide help and is not on behalf of
    any company.
    Also, this posting is provided "AS IS" with no expressed or implied
    warranties.

    Wes Henderson, Aug 13, 2004