Launching application from asp.net web application

Guest

Hi,

I have an Gui Application written in C#.net. Is it possible to launch my
application from a web application. I also need to pass a parameter to this
application so that appropriate data is loaded based on user Id.

Is it possible to do this? If so, Can anyone please suggest how to
accomplish this.

Thanks in advance

Guest

Hi,

I have an Gui Application written in C#.net. Is it possible to launch
my application from a web application. I also need to pass a parameter
to this application so that appropriate data is loaded based on user
Id.

Is it possible to do this? If so, Can anyone please suggest how to
accomplish this.

Yes, the System.Diagnostic.Process.Start will allow you to execute an
applcation.

Eliyahu Goldin

Where do you want it to run? On the client machine or on the server?

Eliyahu

Guest

Hi Eliyahu,

I want user's from differnt part of the world to visit our site using web
browser. On the site there is a button. On clicking button it will start the
Application passing the user id to the application.

I was thinking of running on a Server as the company does not want to
distribute it's properitery application and also Application accesses
database located at company site.

What would you suggest running on Server or Client?

Thanks

Guest

You cannot have a desktop Windows application running on the web server and
displaying the rich interface on the user’s browser.

If you want the GUI interface of the Windows application to display to the
user then it can only be done for users that can trust the executable file to
run on their own desktop.

This means that such solution is only suitable for intranet users (internal
employees within the organization). Then you can pass parameters through the
URL the executes the program, e.g.
http://ntranet.mycompany.ca/myapplication.exe?param1=test&param2=test2

The Windows application can use the Environment.CommandLine to pick up the
entire URL and parse it to get any parameters that you passed through to it.
The Environment.GetCommandLineArgs returns a collection where the first
element is the path on the server for the IEExec.exe file and the second
argument is the URL line (including your passed parameters) plus a GUID.

Eliyahu Goldin

Do you want the user to use the application GUI or the database access
features only?

Eliyahu

Eliyahu Goldin

As Phillip explained, I can't make any use of the GUI running on server
side. If it is a .net application, it should be possible to organize the
data access functionality into a separate code library and access it from a
regular asp.net application that you will need to build to replace your
windows GUI.

Eliyahu