Launching Python programs from Linux shell script

Ernesto

Does anyone know how to start Python program(s) from a Linux shell
script? Is it just

$python myscript.py

??

Thanks,

tooper

Yes, provided your python interpreter is installed, and in your path
("$ whereis python" should give you something like /usr/bin/python or
/usr/local/bin/python)

tooper

Yes, provided your python interpreter is installed, and in your path
("$ whereis python" should give you something like /usr/bin/python or
/usr/local/bin/python)

Ruben Charles

Yes...
Or...
Add this line in de source:
#!/usr/bin/env python
then
chmod +x myscript.py
../myscript.py

Ernesto

Thanks! How do you add Python in Linux to the path? Similar to
setting environment variables in Windows. I want to be able to type
"python" when I'm in any directory to launch the interpreter. Thanks!

Steve Holden

Ernesto said:
Thanks! How do you add Python in Linux to the path? Similar to
setting environment variables in Windows. I want to be able to type
"python" when I'm in any directory to launch the interpreter. Thanks!
You will (or should) have a shell intialisation file variously called
..profile, .bashrc or several other possible names. Consult your shell
documentation (or ask another user who knows) to find out which.

You will need to add a line which typically reads something like

export PATH=$PATH:/path/to/directory/containing/python

making the obvious substitution of the correct path. Interestingly I
couldn't quickly formulate a Google search specifically containing
Python, but a search for

unix add to path

gives the quite helpful

http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Teaching/Unix/unix8.html

as its first result.

regards
Steve

Magnus Lycka

Ernesto said:
Thanks! How do you add Python in Linux to the path?

This works out of the box in most modern Linux distributions.

If you're open to suggestions, I'd suggest that you have a
look at Ubuntu. It's a user friendly Linux distribution with
rather close ties to the Python community.

Anyway, if Python is installed in a non-standard location on
your machine, you might need to set up two things:

PATH to the directory containing the python binary.
PYTHONPATH to the directories containing Python modules and
packages.

How to do this has nothing to do with Python, it just depends
on what shell(s) you use in Linux, and this is frankly not the
forum for that.

See e.g. http://docs.python.org/tut/node4.html and
http://www.python.org/doc/tut/node8.html for more about PATH
and PYTHONPATH--actually, it might be a good idea to read the
whole tutorial if you're a beginner.