layer background-images disappearing

Discussion in 'HTML' started by dalerguy_home, Feb 23, 2004.

  1. Hi,

    Designed a site with layers. Each layer has a different bk_image...

    One of the layers 'Gallery' has links to picture galleries. Each link
    will open a popup window with a slideshow view script to brower the
    pics. Below is the popup window script.

    <!-- popup window -->
    <SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">
    <!-- Begin
    function NewWindow(mypage, myname, w, h, scroll) {
    var winl = (screen.width - w) / 2;
    var wint = (screen.height - h) / 2;
    winprops =
    'height='+h+',width='+w+',top='+wint+',left='+winl+',scrollbars='+scroll
    +',resizable'
    win = window.open(mypage, myname, winprops)
    if (parseInt(navigator.appVersion) >= 4) { win.window.focus(); }
    }
    // End -->
    </script> <!-- end popup window -->

    reference in body to call script:
    (this.href,'name','450','450','no');return false;">Test 2002</a>

    OK when I click a link to view the pics then closing the popup window
    bringing me back to the main page, the background images on each layer
    disappear. I have to click reload to reload the images.

    Seems like i need to reload the page automaticlly upon closing the popup
    windows. How do I do that?

    Any help would be great... thanks

    -- Frustrated Dalerguy

    dalerguy_home, Feb 23, 2004

  2. dalerguy_home

    Steve R. Guest

    dalerguy_home wrote in message ...
    > Designed a site with layers. Each layer has a different bk_image...
    > Any help would be great... thanks

    Can you give a URL ?

    That would be *much* more helpful for us to analyse your problem.

    Steve R., Feb 23, 2004

  3. "Steve R." <stevie_ritchie(NOSPAM)@hotmail.com> wrote in news:v2r_b.358
    $:

    > dalerguy_home wrote in message ...
    >> Designed a site with layers. Each layer has a different bk_image...
    >> Any help would be great... thanks

    > Can you give a URL ?
    >
    > That would be *much* more helpful for us to analyse your problem.

    no problem...

    http://www.dal.ca/~mlumsde2/golf/golf_test.htm

    dalerguy

    dalerguy_home, Feb 23, 2004
  4. dalerguy_home

    Steve Pugh Guest

    "dalerguy_home" <> wrote:
    >"Steve R." <stevie_ritchie(NOSPAM)@hotmail.com> wrote in news:v2r_b.358
    >$:
    >
    >> dalerguy_home wrote in message ...
    >>> Designed a site with layers. Each layer has a different bk_image...
    >>> Any help would be great... thanks

    >> Can you give a URL ?
    >>
    >> That would be *much* more helpful for us to analyse your problem.
    >>

    >no problem...
    >
    >http://www.dal.ca/~mlumsde2/golf/golf_test.htm

    You could try fixing all the syntax errors:
    http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/...de2/golf/golf_test.htm&warning=1&profile=css2
    http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://www.dal.ca/~mlumsde2/golf/golf_test.htm

    Obvious one related to the background images would be:
    background-image: url(&quot;images/main/ballincup_bk.jpg&quot;);
    Those should be " not &quot;

    You should also think about users who have CSS enabled but JavaScript
    disabled. How do they see the other layers?

    Steve

    Steve Pugh <> <http://steve.pugh.net/>

    Steve Pugh, Feb 23, 2004
  5. Steve Pugh <> wrote in

    > "dalerguy_home" <> wrote:
    >>"Steve R." <stevie_ritchie(NOSPAM)@hotmail.com> wrote in
    >>news:v2r_b.358 $:

    >>> Can you give a URL ?
    >>>
    >>> That would be *much* more helpful for us to analyse your problem.
    >>>

    >>no problem...
    >>
    >>http://www.dal.ca/~mlumsde2/golf/golf_test.htm

    > You could try fixing all the syntax errors:
    > http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator?uri=http://www.dal.ca/

    ~mlu
    > msde2/golf/golf_test.htm&warning=1&profile=css2
    > http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://www.dal.ca/

    ~mlumsde2/golf/golf
    > _test.htm
    >
    > Obvious one related to the background images would be:
    > background-image: url(&quot;images/main/ballincup_bk.jpg&quot;);
    > Those should be " not &quot;
    >
    > You should also think about users who have CSS enabled but JavaScript
    > disabled. How do they see the other layers?
    >
    > Steve

    Steve, can you offer suggestions to the CSS enabled browers and
    Javascript disable browers. How does one plan for these issues?

    dalerguy

    dalerguy_home, Feb 25, 2004
  6. dalerguy_home wrote:

    > Steve, can you offer suggestions to the CSS enabled browers and
    > Javascript disable browers. How does one plan for these issues?

    Don't use CSS to hide the "layers" (a confusing term, if ever there was
    one). Use Javascript to hide them instead.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby A Inkster, Feb 25, 2004